Houston
Sponsored by

Pour one out, Raveneaux CC

30,858 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RenoAg
F2Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JoeAggie5 said:

As far as it is, I love swimming again High Meadow Ranch, their set up is great.

Never swam against Champions Park.

I assume that's smallest to largest on the legend?

I think in the NW and Central area generally the teams in Red have the higher scores and bigger. No Red teams in the east, however Eagle Springs is in White 1 and they via power ranking are the "best" team.

I think it used to be Red, White, Blue, than yellow. This year with the new format there are some teams in White that should probably be in Red, and some teams in Whtie that should probably be in blue.

I am relatively new to NWAL and such. This will be my kids 4th year swimming. My 2nd year being on the board and a Team Rep.

We have never swam against HMR or Champions park.
94chem
Swum
Larry S Ross
AG
I heard from a member that Raveneaux is sending out note to members saying they are going semi private on golf(only). Also lowering full membership to $360/ mo w a over 65 full membership at $300.
Have signed a new lease thru January 2021.
Club is trying to build membership and revenue to attract investors to keep course going.
Good Day.
jja79
AG
Wht would the flood control district want the improvements without the following transaction to acquire the course?
Larry S Ross
AG
Yeah I do not see this going past this 1 year lease. I would bet the flood control district had already been in discussions with CF Utility district on the purchase of the golf course portion before they closed on the buildings etc.
Good Day.
JoeAggie5
Looks like from the sign out front they are now going to be a public golf course?
Larry S Ross
AG
Yes Golf only will be open to the public. Not any of the other club amenities or activities. That's what I heard from a member.
Good Day.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
JoeAggie5 said:

Looks like from the sign out front they are now going to be a public golf course?

Semi-private basically means public. That's exactly what Augusta Pines, Gleannloch, and other courses are around the area.
JoeAggie5
Glennloch is a public course?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Has always been.
JoeAggie5
Well Raveneaux officially closed Jan 20, 2021. Link to article says they are still working on final plans? Anyone hear anything?

https://communityimpact.com/houston/spring-klein/environment/2021/01/16/raveneaux-country-club-operations-cease-jan-20-flood-control-district-seeks-remaining-acreage/
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Nope. But I wonder how many people are walking/playing the course now that it's closed. Someone stood rakes up in the holes, which I can only assume is the pin replacement.

Anyone have a pushcart I can borrow?
Jack Klompus
AG
Next up...Longwood Golf Club
stevopike
AG
You live in Longwood? Complete ****show going on right now.
Gap
AG
What is going on with Longwood?
Post removed:
by user
Gap
AG
third coast.. said:

Gap said:

What is going on with Longwood?
This
?
Post removed:
by user
Buck Turgidson
Another kick in the nuts for the Champions area. Its really sad - I recall when that area was considered one of the best suburbs in the Houston metro area. It is highly disturbing how so many nice Houston suburbs start turning to **** about 20-30 years after being developed.
JoeAggie5
To those asking about Longwood - purely speculating, but there was flooding all around and within Ravenaux and that general vicinity. Cypress Creeks runs through it. Does Longwood have similar flooding nearby?

The country club (Raveneaux) has been bought and thus the golf course has been shutdown. The actual land that the course sits on has not, but will apparently happen soon.

My understanding (this was last year) the plan was to make it like Kickerillo-Mischer Preserve, (which is actually pretty nice) to control flooding. The difference here is there are $1M homes that line the other side across from Raveneaux versus at the Preserve it's 249, modest neighborhood, townhomes and swanky Vintage Park. So I have to imagine there are a lot of opinions from the neighbors about future plans for Raveneaux area.
Buck Turgidson
I'm pretty sure the Longwood golf course was built in the flood plain, as are many golf courses. Its a good use for flood plain land. Let me guess - is HCFC now wanting to buy the golf course and turn it into a big detention pond?
T Durden
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

I'm pretty sure the Longwood golf course was built in the flood plain, as are many golf courses. Its a good use for flood plain land. Let me guess - is HCFC now wanting to buy the golf course and turn it into a big detention pond?

Sounds like they want 9 holes. I don't know the whole story though.
stevopike
AG
There has been a ton of mis-information but this is what I have gathered

The company that owns Longwood GC is Triumph and they had been talking to HCFC for the past few years about trying to get them to purchase 9 holes. The problem is that Triumph is bound by the HOA to provide a 27 hole golf course till 2040ish. So Triumph has asked the HOA to (this is the sticky point) lift/amend/etc the by law to make it 18 holes but everyone thinks that when they lift it they will try to sell it to someone while the by law is lifted. HCFC bases the amount they compensate based valuation and that value is currently not enough for them to rearrange the course, but If they get the bylaw changed it will increase the valuation enough to allow them to change it.

Four out of the five HOA members quit a few months ago because of all the calls/emails/texts they were getting for or against doing something.

Triumph has dumped $5MM into the course from the last three floods and they can't get flood insurance and says they may walk away if this doesn't happen.

If HCFC feels that by doing a project in this area it tears the community apart they will walk away and LW is left with nothing

I am sure there is more I am missing, it's a mess.

Diggity
AG
I always thought Champions suffered from being too far away from the major freeways.

Losing the major employers just made things worse.
Buck Turgidson
I got curious and followed Cypress Creek on Google Earth to see how many golf courses are located along it. Here's what I came up with (going west to east):

- Blackhorse
- Raveneaux
- Northgate Forest
- Cypresswood

I guess Longwood is along Little Cypress Creek. Did I skip any?
Bockaneer
AG
We're in Longwood too. We watched the really long video from the mtg that Triumph/HCFC held with the candidates. Stevopike has a good summary.
My wife had to unfollow both of the Longwood Facebook groups because both are toxic right now.
Jack Klompus
AG
Bockaneer said:

We're in Longwood too. We watched the really long video from the mtg that Triumph/HCFC held with the candidates. Stevopike has a good summary.
My wife had to unfollow both of the Longwood Facebook groups because both are toxic right now.
At least she didn't get kicked out like 200 or so on one group.
jswags
AG
Champions
AgCPA95
AG
Diggity said:

I always thought Champions suffered from being too far away from the major freeways.

Losing the major employers just made things worse.
The commuting location was a lot of it but combined with the employers (Compaq and others) it was kind of doomed. Pile on COH annexation of Willowbrook area and there was no turning back.
kubiak03
AG
Grew up in the old Oakes/oak creek area. It's a little depressing going around that area and seeing all the old nice homes with what today would be considered an oversized lot.

The blight started at 45 and kept moving west down 1960, bammel west.

Went into high gear when metro put a line down 1960. Over drive after Katrina. Champions was the last hold out.
jja79
AG
People are tearing down houses and building $1MM plus in Champions. I'm not sure it's doomed.
Strongwind86
AG
Champions and Champion Forest are two different places separated by Cypress Creek

Champions on the south of Cypress Creek - bordered by 1960 on the south.
Champion Forest on the north of Cypress Creek separated by Cypresswood drive.

They each have their own golf course
Raveneaux is in Champion Forest.
Champions has two courses - Cypress and Jackrabbit.
They are in no way connected
jja79
AG
Champion Forest doesn't have a golf course any longer.

It wouldn't surprise me to see tear downs and new construction in Huntwick, Brentwood, CF, etc. Hard to duplicate those big lots with mature trees.
jja79
AG
If anyone's looking for a nice place in Champions this one is on the market for $12MM.

Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.