Houston
Sponsored by

Pour one out, Raveneaux CC

30,529 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RenoAg
lb sand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://communityimpact.com/houston/spring-klein/development/2020/01/13/breaking-golf-course-to-detention-pond-harris-county-flood-control-district-set-to-acquire-raveneaux-county-club-by-late-january/

This story checks a few tine board boxes.
  • Nostalgia, I remember my rich friends dads being members here
  • Flood control
  • Changes in real estate
  • ???
  • Profit?

MouthBQ98
AG
Have they ever seen a big flood there? I lived in the Raveneax apartments right across from the golf course when Allison flooded the city, and they could dig a mile deep hole where the golf course is, and it would be full of water in an hour with that kind of rain, or anything close to it. It might make a good local fishing spot once they have retention ponds dug.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
RIP Inwood
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
kelkel25
I'm sure those big houses along Champion Forest Dr will be thrilled with this development
BigPuma
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Have they ever seen a big flood there? I lived in the Raveneax apartments right across from the golf course when Allison flooded the city, and they could dig a mile deep hole where the golf course is, and it would be full of water in an hour with that kind of rain, or anything close to it. It might make a good local fishing spot once they have retention ponds dug.
Pretty sure that area got lit up in both tax day and harvey floods. Or at least the area around/near it.
Frok
AG
Hasn't half of the golf course not been used for a long time already?

jswags
AG
I could see them doing something similar to cypress park up on N.Eldridge.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
BigPuma said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Pretty sure that area got lit up in both tax day and harvey floods. Or at least the area around/near it.
That's the point of that post. You missed the sarcasm.
MAROON
AG
there have been proposals about doing this to Westwood Country Club as well.
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
Jack Klompus
AG
HCFCD is negotiating with Longwood Golf Club also. I think they are only going to sell 9 of 27 holes though.
MouthBQ98
AG
Before they built Longwood, we used to sneak onto that property and fish in the ponds there. The bass fishing was damn good. I imagine whatever giant detention pond they build will also be good fishing.
AgCPA95
AG
Frok said:

Hasn't half of the golf course not been used for a long time already?

They had 27 holes at one time, but I believe closed 9 of them some years back.
jja79
AG
kelkel25 said:

I'm sure those big houses along Champion Forest Dr will be thrilled with this development

They flooded in Harvey.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
jja79 said:

kelkel25 said:

They flooded in Harvey.

Yes, but you're missing the point of the post. They don't believe that razing the Club will help any flooding issues (more than some nominal amount). They want the Club to remain.
randy828
AG
Raveneaux had two 18 hole courses. They closed the 18 that went towards and on the other side of Champion's Forest Drive. Sold it and last I had heard an apartment complex was once supposed to go there. Never happened.

Sad to see that place go. We used to park on Cypresswood along with a lot of others and watch their fireworks back when I was in jr high/high school.

https://www.chron.com/sports/golf/article/Raveneaux-downsizes-to-18-holes-while-renovating-1616268.php
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
TarponChaser
randy828 said:

Raveneaux had two 18 hole courses. They closed the 18 that went towards and on the other side of Champion's Forest Drive. Sold it and last I had heard an apartment complex was once supposed to go there. Never happened.

Sad to see that place go. We used to park on Cypresswood along with a lot of others and watch their fireworks back when I was in jr high/high school.

https://www.chron.com/sports/golf/article/Raveneaux-downsizes-to-18-holes-while-renovating-1616268.php

Where exactly was the section they closed? Was that where the driving range is? Basically between Champions and Champions Forest?

I know Champions Golf Club is to the south of Raveneaux bordered by Cypress Creek to the north, Champions Drive to the west, Paradise Valley to the east, and 1960 to the south. They still have the Cypress Creek course and the Jackrabbit course.

And how far into Champions Forest north of Cypress Creek did it flood? We have a good friend who lives on Rudgewick there and their family had no flooding at all.
randy828
AG
TarponChaser said:

randy828 said:

Where exactly was the section they closed? Was that where the driving range is? Basically between Champions and Champions Forest?

I know Champions Golf Club is to the south of Raveneaux bordered by Cypress Creek to the north, Champions Drive to the west, Paradise Valley to the east, and 1960 to the south. They still have the Cypress Creek course and the Jackrabbit course.

And how far into Champions Forest north of Cypress Creek did it flood? We have a good friend who lives on Rudgewick there and their family had no flooding at all.
Basically Raveneaux was bordered by Cypresswood Dr/Champions Forest Drive/Cypress Creek...and yes, the 18 that was near the driving range that went east or northeast towards Champions Forest Drive (and it had I believe 3 holes on the other side of Champions Forest Dr.....near Meyer Park). were shut down in 2009.

I really don't know about the flooding as I stayed away. I know the back part of Prestonwood flooded badly which is just down Cypresswood from Raveneaux.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
jja79
AG
It flooded from Prestonwood east all the way past the courthouse annex along Cypresswood, north into some of the CF area and south into the patio homes south of the creek on Tournament Drive and that area.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Nostalgia, I remember my rich friends dads being members here
Just out of curiosity, when were the glory days? I worked with a bunch of people in CF around 15 years or so ago and they would kind of mockingly say Raveneaux with a faux French accent. Even then they were saying it wasn't what it used to be, but members there still thought they were elite or something. I guess maybe whenever the Champions course went in it went down a notch?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Likely mid 90s
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
MAROON
AG
early to mid 80's to 90's

Club opened in 1979
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
aggiedata
AG
Trivia: they filmed a TV show there about 2 Houston cops in the 80s. It lasted a few shows and was cancelled.
Liquid Wrench
Houston Knights?
aggiedata
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Houston Knights?

I think that's it.
JYDog90
AG
I live nearby in Huntwick and the folks in Champ Forest have been tearing up Nextdoor something fierce.

What's so funny is that two years ago when the county first released the proposed projects for flood control not much was on it for Cypress Creek and those folks were up in arms. Pissed off! They demanded projects for their area because they had been flooded twice in 2 years.

Well, now that this has been announced those same folks are...pissed off! How dare them take our beloved country club...what's going to happen to our property values?
strohag
AG
I'm sure they will develop it for flood retention and also build some trails, etc. Not really sure how it would lower property value if it's turned into a park type setup and your home never floods again. At least they aren't developing low income housing or apartments.
lb sand
AG
My glory days were mid 80's. My gf at the time's best friends dad was member. I remember her taking us to the grill/snack bar and ordering us cheeseburgers and sandwiches and putting the tab on her dad's account. I had never heard of such a thing. It was like free food, lol.

That girls mom was a state representative. I don't know what her dad did but he had(or spent) a lot of money. That girl ended up being a fat, tatted up ol' lady to some biker dude. Her parents must have been proud the way she turned out.
cheeky
AG
The last of the "money" left Ravenaux for Champions 25 years ago. It hasn't been fancy in a very long time.
Gap
AG
That area was hurt greatly after HP bought Compaq. The amount of cash flowing around was greatly curtailed.
Liquid Wrench
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
strohag said:

I'm sure they will develop it for flood retention and also build some trails, etc. Not really sure how it would lower property value if it's turned into a park type setup and your home never floods again. At least they aren't developing low income housing or apartments.

Yep, check out what they did in Clear Lake with the old golf course. It's actually really nice. I would WAY rather have that than multi family or affordable housing.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Al Bula
AG
It seems like Cypress folks are the equivalent to Bryan-College Station "townies."

No one single Houston-area 'burb elicits more b tching and moaning.

(FTR Kingwood may be a close second or third but that is just due to one vocal poster)
AgCPA95
AG
Shife said:

It seems like Cypress folks are the equivalent to Bryan-College Station "townies."

(FTR Kingwood may be a close second or third but that is just due to one vocal poster)
Well its technically Kingwood is Houston and not "Houston-area" so Cypress in a landslide?
jja79
AG
Raveneaux is in Spring.
HtownAg92
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Shife said:

Well its technically Kingwood is Houston and not "Houston-area" so Cypress in a landslide?
How much water will this project divert into Kingwood to increase its flooding?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.