Houston
Sponsored by

Pour one out, Raveneaux CC

30,831 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by RenoAg
Anagrammatic Nudist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
neAGle96 said:

Anagrammatic Nudist said:

neAGle96 said:

The changes to 1960 were made 10 + years ago. Crime and deterioration of the area has slide further down hill since then
The access management improvements were made more recently than that on many segments.

Look, I'm not going to change your mind just like I'm not going to change the mind of my racist father-in-law.

It doesn't matter what facts are thrown his way... he is just too obstinate to care to understand.

This article encapsulates it perfectly: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/columnists/greater-houston/article/Riding-the-bus-on-FM-1960-surviving-to-tell-the-11535458.php

Perception doesn't equal reality.

Agreed. But can you please stop insinuating people are racist because they look at statistics where crime and decay to an area are correlated to metro? It is really troublesome when one throws out the race card when they don't agree w others.

I know several good men and builders who were involved in developing the area such as Husfeld, Dick Severa, Vincent Kickerillo, Lee Moynahan, the Goettee brothers who are not racist and have viewed the statistics w the Metro line and increased crime. They don't share your opinion. Chuck Jacobus, who is also a family friend and one of the leading real estate attorney in town also doesn't share all your views and he is far from a racist too.

Btw, all of these men have spent a lot time and resources researching the area too (most have spent decades researching statistics in the area and began many years before you or your in-laws moved to the area)
My father-in-law is racist towards METRO and public transit. That's a fact. There are many, many other people exactly like him. Go to one public meeting in northwest Harris County dealing with METRO proposed projects, and you'll leave wanting to take a shower to rid yourself of the filth of racism.

I don't throw out the typical race card when it is in non-agreement with others. It's thrown out when it is factual in nature based on my career observations, from researching this topic and interviewing stakeholders, and attending public meetings that are filled with racism.
tamuags08
AG
Today I learned not wanting to ride a metro bus is textbook racism
schmendeler
AG
I suggest also learning what a straw man argument is.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Nude,

Do you own a home? How did you chose to live where you do? Have you owned a home long enough to see an area decline?

And by the way, no one gives a **** if you think your FIL is racist. Metro bus=crime increase. See look, I didn't mention anyone's race. Bus stop access is also a leading/lagging factor with building new section 8 housing, and that is absolutely a crime increaser.
Diggity
AG
If Vince Kickerillo were being honest, he would point to the ****ty strip malls that were built up and down 1960, right behind his developments. He probably is hesitant to do so because I would imagine he had at least some influence on that and was happy to sell his parcels of land.

He did the same **** in Nottingham Country, Ponderosa Forest, etc.

South Fry was going to be his "River Oaks Blvd of Katy". I don't think Hugh Potter would have ever dreamed of selling lots on RO Blvd to a Jiffy Lube. Kickerillo had no such qualms.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG

Nevermind. Not worth continuing this dialogue.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Kickerillo and commercial real estate have some execution issues for sure. On Louetta and 249, he built that huge outdoor shopping area right next to his nice new neighborhood.

He wanted big names in it and he had some interest. I think it was Eddie Bauer or another outdoor clothing store that wanted severely reduced rental rates to anchor that development. Kickerillo said no (not that big of deal), but then they decided to not build any loading bays into their development. So all the businesses had to be super boutique and able to bring merchandise through the front door. That limited the occupancy a ton. Everything filled in super quick around that center, but nobody was interested in setting up shop in the center. To this day the most busy parts of that center are everything around it. Starbucks, potbellys, HEB, Mos. That El Teimpo sucks and Peli Peli went under.

I think the 2009 crunch, and 290 outlet mall having great success made it even harder for shops to fill in. The strip center attached to the HEB never had an issue filling in.

Side note: The park right next to it is nice.
JJxvi
AG
This area declined because it matured, filled in and then got old and there was no underlying local reason for it to undergo continual regeneration, vs simply developing newer better neighborhoods in other similar locations.
one MEEN Ag
AG
JJxvi said:

This area declined because it matured, filled in and got old and there was no underlying local reason for it to undergo continual regeneration.
That area followed Compaq's success. That's who was in those champions houses when it was so hard to get to town. Compaq also owned a huge chunk of that land that just recently filled in over the last 15-20 years as HP sold it off. That is why there is a dedicated flyover of 249 right before louetta that you can't ever seem to figure out how to get on it.

That area is now just another expansion of suburbia. It was a nicely isolated area way back in its hayday.
Al Bula
AG
All these folks arguing and wasting breath on Champions

stevopike
AG
neAGle96 said:

stevopike said:

If that corner could talk

My uncle lived in Westador a few houses down from Freddy Fender in the 70's. My cousin and Freddys daughter, Tammy, we're friends.

I grew up in Westador, remember what street it was?
stevopike
AG
Frok said:

stevopike said:

Miller's outpost
The casa
Tony Roma's
Pappadeaux
Ripleys
Checkers
Blockbuster
Fiesta
Panchos
Kmart
Shipleys
Cavenders
Weiners
Tampico bay
The boat
Chuck E. Cheese

Showbiz Pizza back in my day
YES! It was Showbiz not CEC
lb sand
AG
Anyone remember Mathias's at Bammel N Houston @ 1960?
Boo Weekley
RIP to Games People Play. Always felt like you had a slight chance of dying or catching tetanus on those slides.
aggiedata
AG
Texicurean said:

Anyone remember Mathias's at Bammel N Houston @ 1960?

Fun place. Most of my co workers had their names on the wall for drinking every brand of beer they served.
Gap
AG
What is the driver for significant numbers of wealthy people to live in this area now? Compaq is gone and all the significant monied jobs at a headquarters of that size. Is there a large public company in this area now that even comes close to what Compaq was 20 years ago?

And no one is moving there for the schools as Cy Creek is now awful.
RenoAg
Fair amount of activity in Northpointe with folks wanting to be zoned at Tomball Memorial HS. That just a bit farther out.
neAGle96
AG
stevopike said:

neAGle96 said:

stevopike said:

My uncle lived in Westador a few houses down from Freddy Fender in the 70's. My cousin and Freddys daughter, Tammy, we're friends.

I grew up in Westador, remember what street it was?

He lived on Maranon to the left of Nanes
kelkel25
stevopike said:

Miller's outpost
The casa
Tony Roma's
Pappadeaux
Ripleys
Checkers
Blockbuster
Fiesta
Panchos
Kmart
Shipleys
Cavenders
Weiners
Tampico bay
The boat
Chuck E. Cheese

You forgot Texas Tumbleweed
aggiedata
AG
Gap said:

What is the driver for significant numbers of wealthy people to live in this area now? Compaq is gone and all the significant monied jobs at a headquarters of that size. Is there a large public company in this area now that even comes close to what Compaq was 20 years ago?

And no one is moving there for the schools as Cy Creek is now awful.

Agreed to all that. But living and being a member of the champions golf course has a certain appeal. I know my old high school classmate is CEO of a Fortune 500 - ish company and still lives on the golf course there.
jja79
AG
There's significant tear down and rebuild really nice custom homes in Champions.
Frok
AG
RenoAg said:

Fair amount of activity in Northpointe with folks wanting to be zoned at Tomball Memorial HS. That just a bit farther out.

It's funny that the white flight has now made Tomball into a swanky suburb.
RenoAg
And Tomball was already heavy on the rojo on the redneck scale anyway.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.