Houston
Sponsored by

Cancer Surgeon Recommendations

2,085 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by shihitemuslim
randy828
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Ag's,
My Mom has stage 1 cancer and has been told by one dr that they recommend surgery.

Any recommendations for a cancer surgeon in town that would take Medicare? The first two that she has been recommended do not.

I will start searching the internet, but if anyone here knows a dr, would appreciate it.

Thanks Ags
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Madmarttigan
AG
I'm not knowledgeable to the situation but I think it might help if people know the type of cancer to make a recommendation. Good luck to your mom.
shihitemuslim
AG
What type of cancer? Where is it located
randy828
AG
Breast cancer. All I know is it is invasive. Will ask for more info.

She had an encapsulated cancer in the same location quite a few years ago and they did radiation and apparently there is a lot of scarring and is why the doctor is recommending surgery.

Will find out and post more info.

I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
randy828
AG
shihitemuslim said:

What type of cancer? Where is it located
Invasive ductal carcinoma. Breast.
SJEAg
AG
My mother used Dr Pete Turcinovic for her mastectomy up in The Woodlands. He was referred by her oncologist at MD Anderson up there. Surgery was performed at Memorial Hermann. She had stage 2, triple negative breast cancer which is one of the more aggressive types.

He did a great job and we were pleased. She also did chemo after and has been cancer-free for the past 5 years.

https://www.sgotw.com/physicians/pete-turcinovic

randy828
AG
SJEAg said:

My mother used Dr Pete Turcinovic for her mastectomy up in The Woodlands. He was referred by her oncologist at MD Anderson up there. Surgery was performed at Memorial Hermann. She had stage 2, triple negative breast cancer which is one of the more aggressive types.

He did a great job and we were pleased. She also did chemo after and has been cancer-free for the past 5 years.

https://www.sgotw.com/physicians/pete-turcinovic

Hey, one of my friends is a surgeon there! Bradley Waggoner. Thanks, will contact him for more info on that location and if they take Medicare.

Thank you and if anyone else has recommendations, please keep them coming.

Just reached out to Bradley and he said they do take Medicare. Thanks again
SJEAg
AG
Ah, yeah...forgot to mention my mother did it all with Medicare and don't recall any sort of hassles.
Cibalo
my MIL used medicare to cover all of her cancer treatments at MD Anderson. Different type of cancer (kidney and colon) but it was all covered and there was no insurance hassle.
txags92
AG
Can her doc refer her to MD Anderson? If I were in Houston dealing with any kind of cancer, I would do everything in my power to get into there and be treated under one of their team approaches. My sister had surgery there for breast cancer about a year and a half ago...I will see if I can find out the surgeon's name.
randy828
AG
found out the problem she had was the first few doctors operated out of Methodist hospitals and her Medicare plan does not cover care in Methodist hospitals. Insurance.

Thanks

MrMiyAggie
AG
Liz Lee is great. She is at Mem City and Katy.

Aggie too

Www.southwestsurgical.com
IDAg10
AG
My wife works at MD Anderson in breast cancer surgery with Dr. DeSynder. They should take Medicare with no problems. Shoot me over a PM if you want any help navigating the system.
randy828
AG
Thanks all! I have show this thread to my Mom and she is grateful for the recommendations and offers of help.

Gig'em!
MrMiyAggie
AG
MD Anderson does take traditional Medicare but not Medicare advantage plans. I'm guessing if you were turned away by Methodist for this reason, you'll get turned away from MD Anderson too.
txags92
AG
IDAg10 said:

My wife works at MD Anderson in breast cancer surgery with Dr. DeSynder. They should take Medicare with no problems. Shoot me over a PM if you want any help navigating the system.
Dr DeSnyder is who did my sister's surgery. I spoke to her before and after the surgery and would definitely recommend her to others.
randy828
AG
Anybody seen Dr. Ataurrabb Ahmad? She has an appointment with him (recommended by oncologist)

She also is going to an appt at SGOTW but with a Dr. Ratliff. I don't even see that Dr. on the website...Not sure what happened with Dr. Turcinovic or Maggart.

Hopefully one of those works out. Thanks again.
Lester Bangs
My mom used Dr. Coselli at Houston Methodist. He was great. Not sure if he takes medicare.
shihitemuslim
AG
Your mom probably has a managed Medicare plan. MD Anderson only takes traditional Medicare as as they are what's called a DRG exempt facility and get paid very well for Medicare versus the other hospitals in the area. Basically the government pays them a lot to support research initiatives. There are a handful of DRG exempt hospitals around the country.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.