Houston
Sponsored by

Rodeo Committee Q- HLSR

2,896 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAG 05
areuther27
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi -

I am very familiar with HLSR, but not so much with the committees. I am a member already but have been wanting to be involved with a committee.

Unfortunately with my job, I do not have the luxury of coming and going as a please. I was hoping someone could give me the inside scoop on the best committees that don't necessarily have you there every single day of the week or at odd times like 9am-2pm.

Thanks for the help!
IrishTxAggie
AG
Al Bula
AG
areuther27 said:

the best committees that don't necessarily have you there every single day of the week or at odd times like 9am-2pm.

Thanks for the help!
Livestock Committee and Breeders Greeters 100%, bud
agnerd
AG
This year is probably full. These committees will likely be looking for new members next year:

• Agriculture Education *
  • Black Heritage
  • Corral Club Ticket Sales
  • Communications and Special Services
  • Directions & Assistance
  • Facility Services
  • Gatekeepers
  • Lamb & Goat Auction *
  • Recycling
  • Rodeo Express
  • Rodeo Operations
  • Swine Auction *

* ones that you may be able to get your hours in as you requested

Are you good at getting people to donate lots of money to charity? Do you have an extensive network you are willing to lean on to do so? I know a lot of people that use their vacation time to volunteer. Have you considered that option?

Work has been killing me lately so, I have more money than time and just buy season tickets. That may be an option.
Liquid Wrench
I'm not sure they're ALL full. The working committees like Rodeo Express or Recycling might still be able to take people.

OP, sign in on the website and go look them up on the volunteer portal.

*Edit: I should note to the OP that they do have fixed schedules and you won't get to pick and choose, but it's not every day.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Only committee I ever considered applying for was whatever one got to do the wine bar. Then I realized I was better at networking and meeting people while drinking at the bar than I would ever be working it.

So now I volunteer my time (and money) there every rodeo trip before heading over to the hideout.
LostInLA07
AG
Which committee let's me volunteer from home?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
agnerd said:

This year is probably full. These committees will likely be looking for new members next year:

• Agriculture Education *
  • Black Heritage
  • Corral Club Ticket Sales
  • Communications and Special Services
  • Directions & Assistance
  • Facility Services
  • Gatekeepers
  • Lamb & Goat Auction *
  • Recycling
  • Rodeo Express
  • Rodeo Operations
  • Swine Auction *

* ones that you may be able to get your hours in as you requested

Are you good at getting people to donate lots of money to charity? Do you have an extensive network you are willing to lean on to do so? I know a lot of people that use their vacation time to volunteer. Have you considered that option?

Work has been killing me lately so, I have more money than time and just buy season tickets. That may be an option.
Want to donate some of that money to the Poultry Auction?
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
areuther27 said:

Hi -

I am very familiar with HLSR, but not so much with the committees. I am a member already but have been wanting to be involved with a committee.

Unfortunately with my job, I do not have the luxury of coming and going as a please. I was hoping someone could give me the inside scoop on the best committees that don't necessarily have you there every single day of the week or at odd times like 9am-2pm.

Thanks for the help!
1st, you need to figure out what type of committee suits you. Given the info you sent, I would suggest a sales committee. The requirements for time are significantly less than service committees.

SERVICE COMMITTEES These committees require the committee member to perform
some sort of service (usually during the Show in order to badge. Examples of service
committees and their requirements include the Parade Committee, where one might have to
work during the Show's Downtown Rodeo Parade; the Horspitality Committee, where one
greets and assists participants in the Show's Horse Show; and the Rodeo Express Committee,
where members assist in the flow of bus traffic at both Reliant Park and off-site locations.

SALES COMMITTEES These committees are charged with raising money, and they sell a
unique product. In order to badge, a committee member must sell at least the minimum
required amount of the committee's product. Examples of sales committees include the Poultry
Auction Committee, where members obtain purchase commitments to ensure the guaranteed
premiums are met for the kids at the auction; the Calf Scramble Donors Committee, where
members are responsible for obtaining and hosting calf scramble donors, etc.

2nd I would look at the list of committees to determine which ones you are interested in. Once you find the ones you are interested in, get on your HLSR account and submit a Committee Volunteer Request for each. You should get some communication from those committees.

https://www.rodeohouston.com/Get-Involved/Volunteer/Committees

Lastly, this year is going to be too late for 95% of the committees. If you are interested in a sales committee this year, let me know and I can get you info on them.

these are the auction committees.
Lamb & Goat Auction
Poultry Auction
School Art Auction
(Swine) Barrow Auction
Steer Auction (Too late)
Wine Auction (Too Late)
Ragoo
AG
Do you have to be in PVF sales to join a rodeo committee?
Dr. Horrible
Our team needs people that are willing to cook on the night shift... I think that is like 10p-3a or something like that.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Ragoo said:

It's more helpful for cookoff tents.
TXAG 05
AG
Ragoo said:

Not even close. It's people from every background you can think of
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.