Houston
Sponsored by

Pediatric Cardiology

1,721 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tpk8775
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MSL Ag
AG
I am a Pediatrics Resident at UT and have worked in the PICU (where your baby would go after surgery) and on the cardiology service. I enjoyed working with all the attending doctors involved in my months on those services. The surgeons, PICU docs, and cardiologists are some of the most brilliant people I've ever been around and they truly are doing the best they can for the patients. You would be in good hands with them.

I'm sure you would find something very similar at TCH, but I don't have any first hand experience. I honestly don't think you could go wrong. Both are good CV surgery/cardiology programs.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BMX Bandit
have professional experience with both.

Rest assured that you baby will be in terrific hands with either UT or TCH.

canadianAg
AG
Thanks for the insight. Hope I wasn't coming across as not trusting UT, just obviously a nervous parent wanting to make sure our child gets the best we can provide.
TxAg05
AG
Dr. Salazar and his team are great surgeons. I would trust them and the anesthesia team completely. No one would fault you for talking to the people at TCH as well. We have seen cardiologist at both places in the past and were pleased with both groups.

You can't go wrong.
BSD
AG
I am a patient of the Center for Advanced Heart Failure and UT Physicians. They are an amazing group. As precautionary measures, I have my young son go to the UT Physicans Pediactric cardiology for checkups. I have full faith in the group and think you'll be in good hands at either. I wish the best for you and your family.
ccolley68
AG
It's been pretty well covered by the others so far, but just to add a little more to help in your decision, your kid will be fine at UT. It's not cardiac, but maybe will help calm the nerves about UT, my Brother In Law is one of the best pediatric orthopedic surgeons in the country and had his pick of any hospital around the US after his fellowship. He CHOSE UT in the Med Center. It is a great hospital, with great doctors, staff and facilities.

By no means am I saying you shouldn't continue to check out alternatives and opinions. This is a major surgery on your child, and you should be 100% comfortable with everything about it. I just don't want you to feel like you got shortchanged off you wind up having it done at UT
MathNewman06
AG
My niece had surgery for VSD last summer at Texas Children's. The experience was as good as any of us hoped for in that situation, and she has had a very quick and successful recovery.
tamu02
My son had his first surgery for ASD/VSD and second surgery for a leak in a valve. Both were done by Dr. Frazier. Besides the tu crocs that he wore, everything was amazing. I'd highly recommend him.
tpk8775
AG
My son had his first open heart surgery at Memorial Herman Children's by Dr Douglas when he was a week old. We ended up changing to TCH and see Dr Elena Ocampo as his pediatric cardiology. He had his second open heart surgery at 3 at TCH by Dr. Mackenzie.

Both were great!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.