Houston
Sponsored by

Italian restaurants ..

7,846 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by E
kevmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wife and kids like Italian food.
Trying to find somewhere to eat before Texas Bowl.
Any recommendations?

Not looking for a wine and dine type place but something better than Olive Garden
TIA

Ah crap just saw the pizza thread.
I'll scroll thru that but any suggestions here be appreciated
Thanks
Bubba smollett
Best Italian food in Houston is made in my kitchen.
Whoop Delecto
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
Nowhere near downtown but George's Pastaria on Dairy Ashford is fantastic and always hopping. It's not fancy (its in an old Dairy Queen and just down from a roller rink) but it's basically what Olive Garden would be if it didn't suck. Simple Italian meals with a pretty good winelist and fantastic service.
Spore Ag
Rice village has 4 Italian restaurants and one Italian coffee shop. I like D'amicos, simple good pasta and sauce. Prego is N. Italian, little more pricey but very good. Coppa has a great outdoor patio and I think food is good. Last one on Morningside and University I think called Sud, small, nice patio and little elevated in price but still good.
XMinus1
AG
Mandola's Deli on Leeland - Local Place
CW Griswold
LaQuica said:

Best Italian food in Houston is made in my kitchen.

No, the best Italian food is made in my backyard. Nothing beats spaghetti from my Big Green Egg.
chico
AG
XMinus1 said:

This place is awesome, retro from the 50s. Everything is homemade and made from scratch. Lasagna, Italian sausage, deviled eggs. The guy at the checkout counter is a riot as well
DiskoTroop
chico said:

XMinus1 said:

This place is awesome, retro from the 50s. Everything is homemade and made from scratch. Lasagna, Italian sausage, deviled eggs. The guy at the checkout counter is a riot as well

Yeah go see my cousins. Or if you want to see old Italian Houstonian society types and eat very good but somewhat boring traditional Italian, go see Damian Mandola at Damian's down in midtown-ish.
84AGEC
AG
Damians use to be great.

Maybe still is.
m.stat
AG
Coltivare was really good when we tried it. Original Carrabbas is much better than the chain. Good atmosphere but not a very inventive menu.
84AGEC
AG
They will cook just about anything
IrishTxAggie
AG
Buca Di Beppo on Buffalo Speedway if you want easy and convenient to NRG
nonameag99
Carabas on Kirby
aTm2004
AG
Piatto Ristorante over by the Galleria.

https://piattoristorante.com/
DiskoTroop
84AGEC said:

Damians use to be great.

Maybe still is.

It's still very good but it's what one might call uninspired. It's just traditional Italian executed very well. Nothing ground breaking. Solid meals.

Tell you what, if anyone wants to get adventurous, go to Sacred Heart Society on a Thursday for lunch and get a spaghetti lunch plate.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Sud is now called Roma

Coppa would probably be a good option for the family.
Diggity
AG
Does Italian really need to be "groundbreaking"?
DiskoTroop
Not at all but a lot of people idea of an awesome restaurant is some new, cutting edge, awesomeness and that's not at all what Damian's is about. Was just trying to set expectations.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Mia Bella in Greeway Plaza is a solid option

https://yelp.to/qTKq/VXVgvOMoH2
Liquid Wrench
For wife & kids pre-game, I would just hit Candelari's at Holcombe & Kirby
https://www.yelp.com/biz/candelaris-pizzeria-houston-2

I like other restaurants mentioned already in general, but this is straight down Kirby from NRG.
Fall92
AG
I still enjoy Antica Osteria even though Kay's is no longer across the street.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
As mentioned already, OG Carrabas on Kirby, D'Amico's in Rice Village and Damians are all great. Also a fan of Capones.
ElCheAg
AG
Prima Pasta on Kirby and Holcombe. It's near the medical center, and 2 miles north of NRG stadium.
Tom Hagen
AG
Fresco Cafe Italiano. It's byob.

http://www.frescocafeitaliano.com/
Diggity
AG
Gotcha
Boo Weekley
Olive Garden is probably the best you'll find in this town. We have mediocre Italian food scene overall but OG is great, if we're just judging the quality of the food and not ambiance or interior decor. If you can't enjoy Olive Garden I feel sorry for you. Just the bread sticks and salad are money, but then the entrees hit hard too.
The Wonderer
AG
Another vote for D'Amico's in Rice Village
Strongwind86
AG
How about Pronto's on Montrose? I'll eat there 2 or 3 times a month. Decent food. Relaxed atmosphere. Not too pricey.

https://yelp.to/qTKq/rVVRizvGI2

1401 Montrose Blvd, Houston, TX 77019
Liquid Wrench
Also a Pronto's on Holcombe & Buffalo Speedway, which is pretty close to NRG.

I'm sticking with Candelari's Kirby as the best suggestion for taking the kids before the game. Though Pronto's is a pretty good idea.
Al Bula
AG
Loading up on Italian food before a football game sounds like a terrible idea.
Liquid Wrench
Shife said:

Loading up on Italian food before a football fame sounds like a terrible idea.
Well, the all u tailgate (which is not a tailgate because it's going to be inside NRG) put on by the association is $40 for all you can eat TexMex before the game.

Bibendum 86
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Also a Pronto's on Holcombe & Buffalo Speedway, which is pretty close to NRG.

I'm sticking with Candelari's Kirby as the best suggestion for taking the kids before the game. Though Pronto's is a pretty good idea.
Candelari's is Olive Garden with a wood-fired grill.

Pronto is good takeout but if you want counter service, knock yourself out. We get their roasted chicken takeout for Sunday dinner every few weeks, but if I want their Italian we go to Vincent's, Nino's or Paulie's in that order. same family.

Osteria Antica is awesome but probably a tad too formal for a pregame. Prego and Roma are good, but I'm a huge fan of Nash D'Amico's and have been for years. Nash is a Mandola cousin that looks like the Oates side of Hall and Oates. Half bottle of chianti, chicken braciolentini with a side of pasta with olive oil and garlic. All good.
Spore Ag
We were regulars at Ninos and Vincent's. My love is Italian red wine with tomato based pasta but the wine at these two is WAY overpriced. Food is still good though. Ate at Paulies a month ago and it must have been a bad night as the pasta really was uneatable. Should have sent it back but thought it would be better the next day....... Not.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I work with a ton of Italians (truly from Italy, not American born descendants) ... they won't touch anything "Italian" here in Houston except for Amalfi Ristorante on Westheimer. Chef is from Salerno and imports the majority of his ingredients.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.