Houston
Sponsored by

Architect Rec for Potential Remodel

2,355 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MemorialTXAg
htownag2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are some updates we'd like to do to our house, but before I go down that road I need to decide whether this is going to be our forever home and we will expand or I will sell in the next 4-8 years.
I've got some ideas on expansion, but I'd like to have someone who actually knows what will work come out and take a look vs. what I think is possible.
Anyone have a rec on somebody that won't cost me an arm and a leg just to get some ideas from them and possibly rough plans?
I'm on the west side if location matters.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Generally speaking, that's what a contractor would do while quoting/scoping the project.

Speak to a handful of them and you'll get a really good understanding.

In terms of finishes, for a project that size (assuming not terribly large) a good realtor can be helpful.
SnowboardAg
AG
Kelly Cusimano. He was an architect we interviewed for a house design and he's also into project management / field construction management. We didn't go with his firm for other reasons, but he's impressive and I think the custom remodel route as a bounce against a contractors word could help you. A call to him could probably answer some of your concerns.
cab559
AG
Cusimano Architects. Think they do high end design per their insta.

I'd go the the GC / realtor route to get a general scope on cost and comps.
SnowboardAg
AG
Disagree on the GC route - they're incentivized to win work and then change order you to death. Unless you have a very trusted GC, I would always have another party involved to give you another perspective.
MAS444
AG
We used Cusimano for our new build. He's been great.
cab559
AG
SnowboardAg said:

Disagree on the GC route - they're incentivized to win work and then change order you to death. Unless you have a very trusted GC, I would always have another party involved to give you another perspective.

Guess I have a guy I know well and is a straight shooter. Not all GC's are scum.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
May reach out to Cason Graye homes? Not sure if they do remodels for customers or just high end flips, but friend of mine lives in a house they did and it was gorgeous, really well thought out, and they haven't had any issues with it that I'm aware of. This was on a 50s ranch
BMF_AG95
AG
Two suggestions. Lippold custom homes - two brothers that were raised on west side of Houston and are Aggies. Next suggestion Huston design build. She is architect and contractor. We used Huston because of how she brought ideas to table. Also price. Lippold's do great work just couldn't make it work with budget.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
What about someone out in cypress who won't charge river oaks prices?
Towns03
AG
Meghan Gaydou has helped us with more than one project. She's an Aggie.

https://www.marchitecture.com/
htownag2007
AG
Thanks for all of the recs.
Watchful Ag
AG
What do some of y'all do to afford Cusimano? They're very impressive
BobSacamano
I'm new to this, but doesn't the architect just do the design/plans while the GC does the actual build? Don't you need both (or just the GC if they do the plans)?
MAS444
AG
Lots of different ways to do it. Some people have no architect and some people have the architect involved all the way through the build process too. Some builders have architects (and/or draftsman) in house.
gregwalp
Not sure if you've already selected someone, but I'd love to work with you on your project. I'm an Architect and General Contractor and we're a small Aggie owned and operated design-build firm located in West Houston. We specialize in both Commercial and Residential projects. Currently doing several residential projects in Memorial / Wilchester area. Feel free to call me at 281-914-7178

Thanks,
Jake
SnowboardAg
AG
We didn't go Cusimano because his firm was hourly and I couldn't handle a T&M approach. I liked his firm a lot, we just found someone a little more middle of the road - not the lowest, but not the highest either.
MemorialTXAg
Most going the GC route explains the laughably tasteless architecture all over town and even in high end places likes west U.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.