Houston
Sponsored by

suggestions for LASIK

3,007 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cablinaggie
90 bull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
any suggestions for a LASIK doctor? also any guess on cost?
twindaddy01
AG
Ed Wade, Eye Center of Texas
TKNR_Ags_co21
AG
I went to Mann Eye at their Main Street location last year and had a great experience. I did research and a lot of people were trying to say that it was a LASIK factory with continuous one-in and one-outs all day getting the surgery.

I went for a consultation and found that couldn't have been further from the truth. My day of surgery I saw only one other patient in the waiting room and I wasn't even sure they were there for the procedure. I qualified for some new type of LASIK called Contoura which had recently been approved by the FDA. No it wasn't cheap, but I felt like I was getting the best available and a good package of service overall. My doctor was Paul Mann.. the son not the dad.

I liked my follow-up optometrist so much that he's my permanent guy now. There seems to be lots of places that offer various levels of pricing.. mine was something like $2250 per eye after a $1000 discount offer.
ScottBowen
AG
TKNR_Ags said:

I went to Mann Eye at their Main Street location last year and had a great experience. I did research and a lot of people were trying to say that it was a LASIK factory with continuous one-in and one-outs all day getting the surgery.

I went for a consultation and found that couldn't have been further from the truth. My day of surgery I saw only one other patient in the waiting room and I wasn't even sure they were there for the procedure. I qualified for some new type of LASIK called Contoura which had recently been approved by the FDA. No it wasn't cheap, but I felt like I was getting the best available and a good package of service overall. My doctor was Paul Mann.. the son not the dad.

I liked my follow-up optometrist so much that he's my permanent guy now. There seems to be lots of places that offer various levels of pricing.. mine was something like $2250 per eye after a $1000 discount offer.
I did the exact same thing. Make sure to go to the Main St. location. Fantastic experience, could not have been better.

EDIT: I don't think I did the "Contoura" but mine was 6 years ago and has held up perfectly.
tfunk02
AG
Dr. Koch has worked on at least 6 people in my family. We have all had good experiences. Check out his resume and compare it to anyone else.

https://www.bcm.edu/people/view/douglas-koch-m-d/baylor-college-of-medicine-faculty-professors-ophthalmology/b1722db1-ffed-11e2-be68-080027880ca6/d9182440-1005-11e3-ba52-005056b104be
BBRex
AG
This is from this year.

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3029028
BrazosDog02
AG
TKNR_Ags said:

Had mine done in Katy several years ago. Also saw Paul Mann. Very simple. Easy in, easy out, but as you said, it is NOT a factory. They are just very good at what they do and their marketing is top notch. I have had no issues since aside from the expected 'artifacts' they said I may have going in. At any rate, I wouldn't trade my old eyes with glasses for my new ones ever.

Mine cost about the same a long time ago...2k per eye. After the procedure I bought 100 bucks worth of safety glasses and use them religiously.
andrago94
AG
The elder Paul Mann did my eyes back in 2002. Still seeing 20/20 today. Cost back then was about the same as today. Amazing how the cost has not gone up much.
agz win
AG
I had daddy Mann at the Main Street location a few years ago and I'm a difficult patient. They did an exceptional job and highly recommend. Don't wait outside if it's windy waiting on a ride home.

Cost was $3k with some anniversary discount around this time of year.

Good luck.
NoahAg
There was nothing tricky or abnormal with my eyes or the procedure so I ended up going a cheaper route and went to Lasik Vision Institute almost 2 years ago. Total price was around $2,500 and that was w/ Contura.

After doing a lot of research and asking lots of questions I felt comfortable with them. Specifically the actual surgeon since he had like 90,000 procedures under his belt. I've had no complaints.

Main suggestion whenever you do it is stick to the post-op eyedrop regimen. You can't water your eyes enough afterward.
schmellba99
AG
I went to the Eye Clinic of Texas off of 45 south in League City - that was closet o 20 years ago now. Wish I had the more upgraded tech back then that is available now, but I still have 20/13 vision. Halos at night and am just now getting to a point where I wake up with dry eye.

Wouldnt' change a thing - I think i paid about $1600 back then, hard to remember. Woke up the day after my surgery and could see individual blades of grass and the individual drops of dew on them in the morning. Was amazing, especially since I was legally blind prior to the surgery.
Civen
AG
All the recommendations on who is GOOD start to run together. Anyone have bad stories they want to tell... on who to avoid?
Flashdiaz
AG
Mann Eye is good as well... it honestly felt like the pre-op and initial visits are just to justify the cost. That's a good thing because the actual process is seamless. I bet the dr just launches a computer program then plays solitaire.
cablinaggie
AG
Went to Mann Eye recently and after 35 years of glasses and contacts I'm going to do it.

I'm near-sighted. Being in my mid-forties, they offered me something called "blended Lasik", where the dominant eye is treated for distance and the non-dominant eye is left slightly near-sighted, and the brain rewires itself so I don't have to wear reading glasses. The alternative is the more conventional way where both eyes are treated for distance, but I will probably have to wear readers soon because of my age.

So the main reason I'm doing this is i have to use contacts when i play golf, especially during dry weather, and my eyes get really dry and red. I'm sick of popping contacts in and out every day and I'm also hoping my distance vision gets even better with Lasik vs contacts.

However, I'm worried that the blended vision Lasik will not work as well as conventional Lasik, especially playing golf. Does anyone have experience with the blended Lasik?

TIA

cr0wbar
AG
Also a client of Dr. Ed Wade. Whomever you use, you'll be disappointed that you didn't get surgery sooner.
-It's a Jungle out there kiddies, have a very fruitful day-

cablinaggie
AG
Just got it done by Dr. Wright at Mann Eye. Quick and painless, he really talks you through it and makes you feel at ease, although holding the little teddy bear helped. I'm at 20/15 one day after the surgery.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.