Houston
Sponsored by

Mayoral runoff election

20,460 Views | 143 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by third coast..
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dec. 14th? Who chose it to be on a Saturday?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
It levels the playing field between the gainfully employed and vunerables.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
The Milkman
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

It levels the playing field between the gainfully employed and vunerables.
Unfortunately the truly gainfully employed typically have no problem slipping away for 30 minutes to go vote. The employed vunnables don't have that luxury in many cases.
Mas89
AG
If only the communities annexed by Houston in the last 30 years would show up to vote...
Like 50 percent turnout. Like Kingwood.
Al Bula
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

vunerables
aTm2004
AG
Mas89 said:

If only the communities annexed by Houston in the last 30 years would show up to vote...
Like 50 percent turnout. Like Kingwood.
I'll be voting as will my in-laws. A lot of Buzbee signs in my area and quite a few King signs, but have only seen 1 Turner sign.
Tom Hagen
AG
The church buses are going to be busy that Saturday.
YellAg2004
AG
This may be a dumb question, but is there early voting for the runoff? I can't find info anywhere other than the 12/14 date.
tk for tu juan
Received an email regarding a fundraiser for one of the candidates that reminded me the contribution clock has reset since this is considered a new election. It is almost like they intentionally have a runoff to expand their bank accounts.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Tom Hagen said:

The church METRO buses are going to be busy that Saturday.
FIFY
TX04Aggie
AG
Found out that there will be early voting I think something Like December 2-10th?? So that's good for those of us out of town on Saturday the 14th. I'm hoping the Buzbee/King folks unite completely and bring along a few extras, to put Sly out of a job..
ChemAg15
AG
Turner got 47% of the vote in the general buzbee only got 28%. Does anyone seriously think buzbee stands any chance in the runoff?
The Wonderer
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Turner got 47% of the vote in the general buzbee only got 28%. Does anyone seriously think buzbee stands any chance in the runoff?
Buzbee will get all of the King, Boykins, et. al. votes. Basically just anti-Turner votes.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'll grant you Buzbee takes all of King's votes that show up, but I doubt that translates 1-for-1 when it comes to Boykins. But even so, Buzbee still falls short if turnout is the same. Where does the last 2% for Buzbee come from?

Sylvester Turner 46.87%
Tony Buzbee 28.36%
Bill King 13.81%
Dwight Boykins 6.05%
Victoria Romero 1.21%
Sue Lovell 1.20%
Demetria Smith 0.71%
Roy J. Vasquez 0.64%
Kendall Baker 0.41%
Derrick Broze 0.28%
J. T. Taylor 0.23%
Naoufal Houjami 0.23%

Turner needs <4% and he is going to pick up Victoria Romero, Sue Lovell, Demetria Smith, etc. voters. Buzbee's only path to victory is greater turnout for the runoff from his bases of support. Unfortunately for him, I suspect there will be more disaffected Bill King and Boykin voters staying home for the runoff than potential Turner voters. Regardless, I predict a very tight race.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
The Wonderer
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I'll grant you Buzbee takes all of King's votes that show up, and all anti-Turner votes, but I doubt that translates 1-for-1 when it comes to Boykins. But even so, Buzbee still falls short if turnout is the the same. Where does the last 2% come from?

Turner is going to pick up Victoria Romero, Sue Lovell, Demetria Smith, etc. voters. Buzbee's only path to victory is greater turnout for the runoff from his bases of support. Unfortunately for him, I suspect there will be more disaffected Bill King and Boykin voters staying home for the runoff than potential Turner voters. Regardless, I predict a very tight race.
The FFs will vote for Buzbee as will all of their supporters, I imagine that will translate to a closer race than most of the past.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Maybe. That's still primarily Boykins voters though.
BMX Bandit
Interestingly,

48,000 less people voted in the runoff than general in 2015

16,000 less voters in general in 2019 than 2015

Turner got more votes in this general than he did last runoff.

Hope I'm wrong, but don't see a path to
Victory for Buzbee
Liquid Wrench
I don't think you're wrong. History is not on the side of the challenger. But we'll see. That's why they play the game.
Al Bula
AG
I bet tony Didn't really wanna deal with the CoH cesspool and firefighter pension mess anyway. He has probably elevated the quality of his call girl game though. That's something.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Tony promised a bombshell. Don't think the airport intern/fluffer was all he had. Hopefully he has a nuke up his sleeve and will drop it soon.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Shife said:

I bet tony Didn't really wanna deal with the CoH cesspool and firefighter pension mess anyway. He has probably elevated the quality of his call girl game though. That's something.
Judging from his Instagram, pretty sure he's dating some 20 something Houston socialite.
Liquid Wrench
She just graduated from SMU, according to my stalking.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Body By Fisher said:

She just graduated from SMU, according to my stalking.
I bet she gives good helmet...
sts7049
AG
i'm guessing by her last name her family comes from some $$$
Al Bula
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Shife said:

Judging from his Instagram, pretty sure he's dating some 20 something Houston socialite.
how quick will she ghost him for a pooping raghead prince when he loses?
Liquid Wrench
sts7049 said:

Yeah, I think she is one of those. Though I don't know if they have like major and cadet branches. But I did see a picture of her posing in front of Moody arena or whatever at Smoo. There's probably enough crazy in that family to make Buzbee seem like a standard fling.
Zemira
AG
I thought this thread was actually going be about the runoff till y'all decided Buzbee's gf was important.

Who cares who his side piece is this week. I care if Buzbee can beat Turner. Go gossip in another thread.
BMX Bandit
Zemira said:

I thought this thread was actually going be about the runoff till y'all decided Buzbee's gf was important.

Who cares who his side piece is this week. I care if Buzbee can beat Turner. Go gossip in another thread.
you sound like a fun person.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Zemira said:

many years ago she missed a nap. Still bitter.
KW02
AG
We need pics of this girlfriend.
jh0400
AG
aTm2004
AG
Zemira said:

Welcome to the Tine board. Feel free to visit the East Texas board as well.
Zemira
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Zemira said:

I apologize for being cranky last night. Gossip away.
Zemira
AG
It's actually fairly tame these days. But y'all do gossip a lot.
Zemira
AG
Body By Fisher said:

sts7049 said:

Yeah, I think she is one of those. Though I don't know if they have like major and cadet branches. But I did see a picture of her posing in front of Moody arena or whatever at Smoo. There's probably enough crazy in that family to make Buzbee seem like a standard fling.
I don't think there are too many in that family. She's 26 so she's probably got a trust fund at least.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.