Houston
Sponsored by

Harris County Animal Control

1,541 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Romello
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Question about animal control services in the unincorporated parts of Harris County...

If you have a stray animal problem (cats and dogs) and call animal control, will they come get the animal? If the animals are loose, will they trap them? If a resident has trapped the animals, will animal control come get them? Or is the only option to drive the animals to the Harris County Veterinary Public Health shelter yourself? I've tried calling VPH to get this information, but no one answers the phone.
Post removed:
by user
Al Bula
AG
Literally all Harris County personnel:

one MEEN Ag
AG
This is a question for AzulAg, heard he had a cat problem. Animal Control came and placed some coyotes around the perimeter to take care of it.

nonameag99
Call your commissioner

TXTransplant
I'm working this angle. The strays in question have been delivered to a shelter, but there are/were some issues. I want to be sure I'm informed on how the process is "supposed" to work so I don't inadvertently spread misinformation.
Dr. Doctor
AG
When I lived in non-CoH areas and called animal control, this is what I got from them.

Nothing. They never showed up, they never did a damn thing. Had 5 stray dogs running around and about 10 that were 'owned' (collar and tags) and called about each one each time. 1) they only work banker's hours, so have to call within that window. 2) if they do show up, they'll claim they didn't see the animal or location. Mostly because they show up 1-2 days (or in one case, 1 week) after you called and apparently the animal didn't get the memo to show up at that time for an appointment. 3)If you post on nextdoor (or anything else) asking about it, you'll find you aren't alone in reporting it and if you say you'll shoot the dogs (or cats) people get pretty pissy about it and claim you'll kill their fido. Even though they are the ones letting their own dogs out and not restraining them.

Solution: trap and dispose of the animals yourself. It will cost you, but you'll save it when one eventually attacks your wife's dog and then you get to go to the vet and pay for those bills because whoever owns the animal sure as HELL won't fess up...

~egon
TXTransplant
Dr. Doctor said:

When I lived in non-CoH areas and called animal control, this is what I got from them.

Nothing. They never showed up, they never did a damn thing. Had 5 stray dogs running around and about 10 that were 'owned' (collar and tags) and called about each one each time. 1) they only work banker's hours, so have to call within that window. 2) if they do show up, they'll claim they didn't see the animal or location. Mostly because they show up 1-2 days (or in one case, 1 week) after you called and apparently the animal didn't get the memo to show up at that time for an appointment. 3)If you post on nextdoor (or anything else) asking about it, you'll find you aren't alone in reporting it and if you say you'll shoot the dogs (or cats) people get pretty pissy about it and claim you'll kill their fido. Even though they are the ones letting their own dogs out and not restraining them.

Solution: trap and dispose of the animals yourself. It will cost you, but you'll save it when one eventually attacks your wife's dog and then you get to go to the vet and pay for those bills because whoever owns the animal sure as HELL won't fess up...

~egon

What I bolded is a big part of the problem. The Harris County Shelter on Canino Rd only takes "surrenders" (IMO, strays shouldn't even be considered as surrenders, but that's another argument) from 1-4 pm on Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri, and from 11-2 on Saturday. They won't take any on Sunday.

So, if you work during the week, you have a three hour window on Saturdays to trap these animals and get them down to the shelter (which for some of us is 30+ miles away).

And if you try to call, they don't answer the phone.

If you trap a stray or feral animal, in the county's eyes it becomes your "pet". It's ridiculous.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Maybe go to the feedstore and buy a couple chickens. When you shoot the strays, shoot a chicken too. Strays were killing your chickens and you shot the dog and accidentally shot the chicken too, then ate the chicken for dinner.
ccolley68
AG
Ever tried the game warden?
randy828
AG
What Dr.Dr and TXT stated.

Had a pit looking stray that was in our subdivision park, called and got a huge run around and then at the end basically saying they were closed for the day and to call back.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
htxag09
AG
TXTransplant said:

Dr. Doctor said:

~egon

What I bolded is a big part of the problem. The Harris County Shelter on Canino Rd only takes "surrenders" (IMO, strays shouldn't even be considered as surrenders, but that's another argument) from 1-4 pm on Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri, and from 11-2 on Saturday. They won't take any on Sunday.

So, if you work during the week, you have a three hour window on Saturdays to trap these animals and get them down to the shelter (which for some of us is 30+ miles away).

And if you try to call, they don't answer the phone.

If you trap a stray or feral animal, in the county's eyes it becomes your "pet". It's ridiculous.
This then leads to a lesson my uncle learned the hard way, don't move anywhere near an animal shelter. People either get to the shelter and it's closed or they are just to embarrassed or something to actually surrender the animal, so they just dump them outside the shelter. My uncle's old neighborhood had strays all over the damn place. Plus his wife is one of those that see's them and has to take them in, but that's another story.
Romello
That's how guvmnt works.
And some of you want them running our healthcare. SMH
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.