Houston
Sponsored by

Harris county democrat judge indicted for wire fraud

5,411 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by KW02
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who didn't see this coming?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.khou.com/amp/article/news/crime/judge-alexandra-smoots-thomas-indicted-on-allegations-of-wire-fraud/285-0a0cd8fc-953c-4839-b62b-92af0b4c9658

Quote:

The indictment alleges Smoots-Thomas repeatedly solicited campaign contributions on the premise the money would be used to help facilitate her re-election campaigns in both 2012 and 2016. She allegedly used campaign funds for non-campaign expenses to include monthly home mortgage payments, private school tuition payments, personal travel expenses, personal luxury items and cash withdrawals.
RK
AG
any relation to claud henry smoot?

Martin Q. Blank
Never trust a woman with a hyphenated last name.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Too bad this wasn't revealed earlier. Have a client or two that might have received a better outcome.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Smoots-Thomas, who previously used the name Smoots-Hogan
A two-time hyphenater at that.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Quote:

A two-timer and hyphenater at that.
FIFY if the rumors I've heard are true.
KW02
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Too bad this wasn't revealed earlier. Have a client or two that might have received a better outcome.

Maybe you just needed local "friend" counsel for her court even if you are local.
BSD
AG
Strong!
Fall92
AG
Kinkaid grad and very proud of it...
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
BigTex83
AG
But she's still the presiding judge and keeps her position.
AG
Quote:

"She's a black female Democrat, and I think they saw this as an opportunity to get her off the bench and try to start putting Republicans back on the bench in a county where there's none that exist," Schaffer said.
And there it is....
"Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do!" - Aggie Code of Honor
Spore Ag
Isn't this the case where the FBI did the investigation and bust while he Harris county DA sat on her ass.
HtownAg92
AG
KW02 said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Maybe you just needed local "friend" counsel for her court even if you are local.

For those with access to HC District Clerk records, look up the Star Furniture / Woolf case Motion to Recuse. I had the Smoots & Vilandos tandem in a recent case (absolutely groundless consolidation granted to get my case in with Vilandos') and I fought tooth-and-nail to get them separated. It took Smoots' sudden "medical leave" for it to happen. I was worried that she would return and undo everything, but not so much now.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Nice work. I assume she made her social media private after her coziness with counsel was exposed?
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
BMX Bandit
plaintiff name?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Star Furniture v. 6800 SW Freeway
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Wow just read the docs from the star case. Saw that Lloyd Kelley popped up in the briefing. No surprise there.
Panama Red
AG
blindey said:

Body By Fisher said:

Quote:

A two-timer and hyphenater at that.
FIFY if the rumors I've heard are true.
If you knew the first husband, you wouldn't blame her.

Boo Weekley
Is this part of "Black Girl Magic"?

BMX Bandit
she was not a part of that group. elected with Obama in 2008
BMX Bandit
glad someone called out that ad litem racket.
HtownAg92
AG
blindey said:

Wow just read the docs from the star case. Saw that Lloyd Kelley popped up in the briefing. No surprise there.
Lloyd Kelley was on my case too. He would show up to hearings to get loud and bloviate, and Vilandos would show up to make sure Smoots knew she was on the case.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
What's the story on the ad-litem racket?
GrayMatter
AG
Sounds like she was a closeted Republican.
HtownAg92
AG
blindey said:

What's the story on the ad-litem racket?
The Judge was extremely cozy with a lawyer that just happened to get all of the ad litem appointments for the Court, and pictures of social engagements and beach vacation trips surfaced. This was found when the lawyer made a late appearance in that Star Furniture case and the Judge immediately made a bunch of baseless rulings in her favor, some of which were way past docket deadlines. Just totally screwed over the other side as soon as her buddy joined the case.
Fall92
AG
Seems she really pissed off Lloyd along the way although, as already noted, he's been known to bloviate.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
P.H. Dexippus
AG
BigTex83 said:

Now suspended.
https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/judge-alexandra-smoots-thomas-suspended-following-federal-indictment/285-26d927af-c393-41c9-8c17-de6f98eb3152
randy828
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

Star Furniture v. 6800 SW Freeway
Quote:

and because water flows downhill due to gravity
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Unfortunately I know her and fortunately she better get what she deserves!!!!!!
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

BigTex83 said:

Now suspended.
https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime/judge-alexandra-smoots-thomas-suspended-following-federal-indictment/285-26d927af-c393-41c9-8c17-de6f98eb3152
From the KHOU Story: "She's a black female Democrat, and I think they saw this as an opportunity to get her off the bench and try to start putting Republicans back on the bench in a county where there's none that exist," Schaffer said."

Good Lord.
KW02
AG
Just announced yesterday that she is running for reelection in 2020.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
What better way to replenish her campaign slush funds?
KW02
AG
What better way to replenish her campaign slush defense funds?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.