Houston
Sponsored by

Gulf Tropical System

99,220 Views | 861 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Liquid Wrench
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
redag06 said:

Dave Martin posted it on Facebook.
Kind of a sidetrack, but is Dave Martin crazy?
redag06
The corruption comment has nothing to do with lake Conroe. It has to do with the dinosaur amusement park and the fbi raiding the east Montgomery country offices.
chimpanzee
redag06 said:

Coworkers who live bear by and complain of the gin shots all night as well

Savages. Gin is for cocktails.
redag06
Not sure those folks are drinking gin.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Mas89 said:

So when the new Luce Bayou Interbasin Transfer Project ( city of Houston/ CWA canal ) starts pumping billions of gallons of water from the Trinity River and transferring the water into Lake Houston just above East End Park, what effect on the clarity and deposits of mud/sand will the new canal have on Lake Houston?

i have driven through there and disagree with your analysis.

Mas89
AG
redag06 said:

Have you actually driven in the colonias ? The pictures I've seen and stories I've heard from trusted sources say there are many peoples with portajohhs and others pumping raw sewage in to the ditches, etc. this is A 3rd world country. Coworkers who live near by and complain of the gun shots all night as well.
Yes. That was the jist of the posts. All of the run off goes to Lake Houston. The newest neighborhood Santa Fe has many miles of roads but is just starting to sell lots. This whole area was previously in timber.
Hard to believe how huge the community will be one day without driving thru the different neighborhoods.
schmellba99
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

So if I understand Bob correctly- but for Triple PG mine, there would have been no sand/sediment/debris deposited on the flooded park property? Or less? This assumes the origin of the sand is from a specific property, not the far larger quantity of sand available from all other upstream properties, the river banks and river bed itself. That this mine had a net loss, rather than deposit, of sand- which would be unusual. I believe a previous blog post showed how large portions of the park/trails had sloughed off into the river/lake during the flood. Where does that sandy earth end up?

The bottom line is its a lot of speculation pushed by those with an axe to grind.
Look at the effects of flooding near the river vs. not near the river. The closer you get to the mine (aka, East End Park), you see more 'sand' deposit with high water. Further down or in other non-river areas, you get mud, not sand.

Doesn't take a lot of brain power to realize that one is contributing to the problem.

I'm partially vested in this issue as I live near East End park and enjoy it.

If you keep the velocity of water high, you can transport sand downstream. When you slow the water down (usually around a bend), the sand will fall out and deposit. Do it enough, long enough, you can dam things up.

Hence the city and USACE paying a dredging company for 2 years to clean up after Harvey.

You can see the nice 2 bends that would allow sand to be deposited in East End due to high waters with high sand content from Google Maps.

Look at the San Jac river upstream and downstream, away from the mine (which is just a short hop on GM north of where I have shown. The river isn't white; it's brown/black. Hence, mud, not sand, being carried by the river.

If the San Jac (and other rivers nearby) were carrying white-ish sand and not mud, Galveston would look a whole lot better.

~egon
Except for a few things -

1. Follow the San Jac upstream anywhere on a bend and you'll find.....wait for it....sand. Because it flows through a sandy loam geological formation in east Texas. The color of the water is affected by a great number of things, not just whether it is carrying sand or dissolved or suspended solids. In east Texas, for example, a lot of the water color is affected by tannins from the vegetation decomposition in the river in addition to runoff and mud and sand from the stream bed. Probably some meth runoff too - it is east Texas after all.

2. The idea that sand will make it from the mouth of the San Jac across Galveston bay and somehow into Galveston is laughable. Beyond the fact that the velocity of the San Jac river is simply not anywhere close enough to keep sand suspended across the 40 miles of bends and Galveston bay, the fact that the bay is a massive shipping lane further alters things.

The breaches in the sand pits are not helpful, and they definitely need to be hammered hard by the state. I mean hard too - brutally so. But they are not the sole cause of anything, only a contributing factor. And how big of a factor is debatable - because the San Jac river has a sandy bottom and will continually have deposition of sand in various areas just like it's had for the last million or however many years it has been in existence. Rivers are not static geological formations - they are in a constant state of change. That is nature's design, and it's only the stupidity of man to think we can build structures on a river and expect it to stay that way in perpetuity.
rilloaggie
AG
Mas89 said:

redag06 said:

Have you actually driven in the colonias ? The pictures I've seen and stories I've heard from trusted sources say there are many peoples with portajohhs and others pumping raw sewage in to the ditches, etc. this is A 3rd world country. Coworkers who live near by and complain of the gun shots all night as well.
Yes. That was the jist of the posts. All of the run off goes to Lake Houston. The newest neighborhood Santa Fe has many miles of roads but is just starting to sell lots. This whole area was previously in timber.
Hard to believe how huge the community will be one day without driving thru the different neighborhoods.

It is really a surreal experience being back there. I had a former customer working to build some rent-to-own homes in there. They are the closest thing to a professional operation going on. There are many "homes" being built with leftover material from other job sites so it is somewhat humorous seeing a house with DR Horton house wrap on one side, Lennar on another, and some Pulte on the rest. Plenty of homes are clearly being lived in while they are under construction. Lots of porta-johns next to trailers so I assume they aren't hooked up to the sewer. Found what I assumed to be a cock or dog fighting ring(2-3 sets of bleachers around a 20x20 area, complete with concession stand) and likely backed up by the pile of dead pit bulls on a lot around the corner. I am generally pretty pro developer but the conditions in the colonias up there are bad enough I would love to see the state step in and do something to unscrew the mess that is going on and likely going to get even worse as more lots get built.
redag06
I'd just love for ice to go in and take care of things.
schmellba99
AG
rilloaggie said:

Mas89 said:

redag06 said:

It is really a surreal experience being back there. I had a former customer working to build some rent-to-own homes in there. They are the closest thing to a professional operation going on. There are many "homes" being built with leftover material from other job sites so it is somewhat humorous seeing a house with DR Horton house wrap on one side, Lennar on another, and some Pulte on the rest. Plenty of homes are clearly being lived in while they are under construction. Lots of porta-johns next to trailers so I assume they aren't hooked up to the sewer. Found what I assumed to be a cock or dog fighting ring(2-3 sets of bleachers around a 20x20 area, complete with concession stand) and likely backed up by the pile of dead pit bulls on a lot around the corner. I am generally pretty pro developer but the conditions in the colonias up there are bad enough I would love to see the state step in and do something to unscrew the mess that is going on and likely going to get even worse as more lots get built.
Where is this area at? It sounds fascinating.
redag06
Plum Grove

Old Article
RK
AG
i feel like i might want to party with Rodney and Lee Ann Walker.
aTm2004
AG
Go to google maps and find Splendora. Follow 2090 east until it dead ends, then go south just a little bit. Google Maps is even in Spanish in that area.
RingOfive
AG
How have I not heard of this Plum Grove thing until just now? Boy am I glad I live on the complete opposite side of Montgomery county.
Guitarsoup
AG
"Houston and Harris County have proven that they are unable to ensure victims are receiving resources in a timely manner," Abbott spokesman John Wittman said Friday.
aTm2004
AG
I grew up in Splendora...rarely ventured to Plum Grove.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

There's $4 billion in new flood-prevention funding available from the feds. But neither Houston nor Harris County will be in charge of it.

Author: KHOU.com Staff
Published: 12:49 PM CDT October 4, 2019
Updated: 12:57 PM CDT October 4, 2019

HOUSTON More than $4 billion in new federal flood prevention funding will be managed by the Texas General Land Office, not the city of Houston or Harris County, according Gov. Greg Abbott.
"Houston and Harris County have proven that they are unable to ensure victims are receiving resources in a timely manner," Abbott spokesman John Wittman said Friday.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/texas-to-get-4b-to-help-prevent-future-flooding-but-houston-wont-be-managing-the-money/285-0c1517c6-c5c4-4de7-bd6e-0b658e70cb75

Guitarsoup
AG
Elections have consequences.
aTm2004
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Quote:

There's $4 billion in new flood-prevention funding available from the feds. But neither Houston nor Harris County will be in charge of it.

Author: KHOU.com Staff
Published: 12:49 PM CDT October 4, 2019
Updated: 12:57 PM CDT October 4, 2019

HOUSTON More than $4 billion in new federal flood prevention funding will be managed by the Texas General Land Office, not the city of Houston or Harris County, according Gov. Greg Abbott.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/texas-to-get-4b-to-help-prevent-future-flooding-but-houston-wont-be-managing-the-money/285-0c1517c6-c5c4-4de7-bd6e-0b658e70cb75

Talking point for Buzbee, for sure.
redag06
Houston can't be trusted to touch that money, probably Harris County as well.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Talking point for Buzbee, for sure.
I got the link from him on Facebook.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.