Houston
Sponsored by

food truck/restaurant opening across the street from my house

4,374 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Foamcows
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So someone purchased a house with an extra lot across the street from us. For the past few weeks they have been adding tables and hanging lights, which suggested they were going to open some type of restaurant or bar...

Today it was confirmed, they are planning on hosing a permanent food truck on the extra lot and plan on treating it as some type of byob/outdoor seating restaurant.

My main concern is our street is already difficult to drive down due to one side being a ditch and there being a set of 8 townhomes with a single shared drive (which results in multiple cars always parking in the street)... The owner of the new food truck restaurant has confirmed that they expect customers to use street parking.

If this were a normal restaurant I feel like there are regulations around having to provide x number of parking spots, but as this is a food truck, i guess they are not applicable?

The entire thing seems poorly planned out... with my luck it will be the hippest place in town
Liquid Wrench
Get on Nextdoor and see if there are any bored attorneys in your hood.
Martin Q. Blank
http://www.houstontx.gov/health/Food/OPERATING_A_MOBILE_FOOD_UNIT_IN_THE_CITY_OF_HOUSTON_2016.pdf

City contacts at the bottom.

Does the property have deed restrictions?
TXAG 05
AG
Where is it and what kind of food?
aTm2004
AG
Welcome to Houston's lack of zoning laws.
Foamcows
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

http://www.houstontx.gov/health/Food/OPERATING_A_MOBILE_FOOD_UNIT_IN_THE_CITY_OF_HOUSTON_2016.pdf

City contacts at the bottom.

Does the property have deed restrictions?
doubt we have any deed restrictions, its in the first ward of houston...

For those inquiring about the menu, it's going to be cajun.
sts7049
AG
are they lesbians? will they have handicapped parking available?
ptothemo
AG
The lack of regulation ethos has served Houston really well though history - particularly in O&G. But that O&G money means that you have a bunch of Cajun transplants from Louisiana and a bunch of millenials that love a good food truck. Put all of these things together and the summary is: sorryboutcha.
WES2006AG
AG
I wouldn't worry too much, chances are they are out of business in a few months anyways.
Post removed:
by user
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Buy one of the fancy air conditioned port a john trailers, park it right in front of the lot, charge two bucks a trip and get rich off their efforts.
Ag_07
AG
"Drop" a box of roofing nails in the streets
chico
AG
Foamcows said:

doubt we have any deed restrictions, its in the first ward of houston...

For those inquiring about the menu, it's going to be cajun.
Awesome! I work in 6th Ward (across Washington from 1st Ward) and always appreciate a new cajun place. Where will it be located?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
third coast.. said:

pass out flyers at the tines favorite rooftop pool party advertising free cajun food at this food truck. youll suffer for a few weeks but sooner than later they will shut that rig down because of the hassle of dealing with the gimmiedat crowd
you gotta be scientific about this. Be sure to get a good photo of their logo so you can include it on the flier. Make sure it has a section that really looks like a coupon redeemable for a free (whatever their main menu item is), one per customer.

And don't stop at houston's Favorite pool party. If a stack got dropped off at the Clayton Homes on Runnels and the Allen Parkway village, you'd get more volume and faster results.

Buy a gun if you go this route.
aTm2004
AG
blindey said:

third coast.. said:

pass out flyers at the tines favorite rooftop pool party advertising free cajun food at this food truck. youll suffer for a few weeks but sooner than later they will shut that rig down because of the hassle of dealing with the gimmiedat crowd
you gotta be scientific about this. Be sure to get a good photo of their logo so you can include it on the flier. Make sure it has a section that really looks like a coupon redeemable for a free (whatever their main menu item is), one per customer.

And don't stop at houston's Favorite pool party. If a stack got dropped off at the Clayton Homes on Runnels and the Allen Parkway village, you'd get more volume and faster results.

It doesn't have to be on their menu. Just throw something the locals will like (Purple Drank or something) and it'll be much more fulfilling seeing the restaurant's sign out front saying "No Purple Drink."
Liquid Wrench
Ag_07 said:

"Drop" a box of roofing nails in the streets
If he lives on a street where new townhouses are going in, the nails are already there.
htxag09
AG
This off spring street near Houston?
FtBendTxAg
AG
Cajun.. that would be the last place I would want it to be across the st from my house.

And not bc Cajun food isn't delicious.
Foamcows
AG
Yes. It's the one on spring street
Diggity
AG
Unfortunately that's a pretty busy street. Not a terrible spot for something like that.
nonameag99
Why are the bike path bollards painted different colors?

They literally look GHEY!
htxag09
AG
Foamcows said:

Yes. It's the one on spring street

I was running on the hike and bike trail Wednesday and noticed him working. Actually thought that was what he was doing and said to myself that sucks for his neighbors.....

You could also consider talking to the city about no parking signs. I'm near buffalo bayou brewery and once it opened parking around my house was absolutely terrible. Narrow streets, ditches on both sides, people would park directly across your driveway making it impossible to get out. Didn't take long for the city to make one side of the street no parking (I wasn't involved at all in the process, so can't help there).
rangerdanger
AG
Leave a couple Yelp reviews about the boudin balls being made from the roadkill produced at the end of the cul de sac.
(removed:110205)
aTm2004 said:

blindey said:

third coast.. said:

It doesn't have to be on their menu. Just throw something the locals will like (Purple Drank or something) and it'll be much more fulfilling seeing the restaurant's sign out front saying "No Purple Drink."
Not sure OP will want a bunch of angry "purple drank youth" outside his house.
Al Bula
AG
agree with all the suggestions to turn this place into a black twitter event. It will fold quickly.
Tone2002
Or flyers for free meth will work just as well. Surely will get the trailer park people out too and toothless bums as well
Post removed:
by user
FCBlitz
When they get popular you can sell parking space and beer out front.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I'd put up cones and then sell parking spots for $10
drumboy
AG
Foamcows said:

They are planning on hosing a permanent food truck on the extra lot and plan on treating it as some type of byob/outdoor seating restaurant.
Sucks that it's right across the street from your house but this sounds like my kinda place. Especially if they put in a playground.
gordo97
AG
Just wait until they start having live zydeco bands on their front porch
vansprinkle
AG
blindey said:

third coast.. said:

Just go generic. Free cup of gumbo, free red beans and rice, free jambalaya, free poboy, etc. Every person in line will have a coupon.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I remember in high school, a nearby development had loads of fill dirt delivered. It wasn't long before hordes of horseflies showed up in the neighborhood, making being outside miserable. Maybe you can source the same kind of said dirt?
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.