Houston
Sponsored by

Harris County/Property Tax Increase

2,933 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aTm_bomb
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HC commissioners just voted to raise property taxes.
2018 effective was 0.62998 combined
2019 effective will be 0.65260 combined
3-2 vote...you can guess who was who.
buddybee
Don't feel alone, that is the new norm here in Texas. Here in Austin County our county did the same and the commissioners gave themselves and all elected officials a big raise to boot. One commissioner made the statement in open court "We have to vote this way now, because next year we will have to go to the voters" All our commissioners are REPUBLICANS but I think they are in name only. Roads here are terrible and when asked they complain about the money. But yet taxes, appraisals and their pay go up and my bank account goes down. Go figure.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
How does that play into this? Will that need to be approved by voters?

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/12/abbott-signs-property-tax-bill-sb2/
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Bondag
AG
Rent just went up for everyone that voted for them.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

How does that play into this? Will that need to be approved by voters?

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/12/abbott-signs-property-tax-bill-sb2/

It seems like the revenue for the county cannot go up 3.5% without a vote. Before, the 'trick' to raise revenue was raise valuations; they can claim they kept taxes 'low' or 'didn't raise taxes!', but let the valuation go up.

They will get their money, one way or another. Either raise the rates and your house stays the same value or keep the rates the same, but let your house value go up.

People looking to downsize and move out tend to like option #2; those that want to buy and live for a while in a place like option #1.

~egon
abacavir
Bondag said:

Rent just went up for everyone that voted for them.
Those people who vote a certain way in Harris county to pay property taxes
redag06
Well this could help for the folks in COH.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-to-consider-2-cent-cut-in-property-tax-14414625.php
Aggie71013
AG
I would gladly pay more in taxes if I saw the benefits. Streets are still filled with potholes. Still too few sheriff's. Animal control will only pick up animals if I trap them myself. Library hasn't had landscaping done in 20 years.
Waltonloads08
AG
Aggie71013 said:

I would gladly pay more in taxes if I saw the benefits. Streets are still filled with potholes. Still too few sheriff's. Animal control will only pick up animals if I trap them myself. Library hasn't had landscaping done in 20 years.

You will never see any incremental benefits. It's only getting worse from here.
TXTransplant
If you're in Tomball ISD, the Board just lowered the tax rate by 3.7% (effective 2020), so that should offset the Harris Co increase.
AlaskanAg99
AG
There will be 3 public hearings before the 8% increase takes effect. The county attorney said it's Yes/No on to keep taxes as is or to increase them.

There was some discussion on the possibility of the tax increasing less than proposed, but the lawyer said they'd have to research I'd that would be possible.

This is beging done to take effect before the state law limiting increases to 3.5% starts. No surprise, it's a money grab.

The hearings ought to be interesting.
pasquale
AG
I don't have a good feeling about the outcome of that vote
Ciboag96
May the 3 get a invigorating case of elephantiasis of their hemorrhoids.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

The hearings ought to be interesting.

Ellis and Hidalgo will get plenty of community organizers lined up to speak for an increase and try to block out the public time.
abacavir
Welfare queens and the little ninos need your money this will get passed.
AlaskanAg99
AG
First comment period is this Friday 1pm.

You can see the agenda and click to watch live video here:

https://agenda.harriscountytx.gov/
South Platte
Waltonloads08 said:

Aggie71013 said:

Well they certainly can't be expected to lay off all the secretaries and desk clerks. They may be overstaffed, but they got to get that pension . . .
Waltonloads08
AG
South Platte said:

Waltonloads08 said:

Aggie71013 said:

Well they certainly can't be expected to lay off all the secretaries and desk clerks. They may be overstaffed, but they got to get that pension . . .

It took me 6 calls to reserve a picnic area at a local park for a kids birthday party, and I still need to fax them paperwork. It's a total **** show to do anything with the city.
suburban cowboy
AG
There's a lot more to come on this. I'll be in touch.
Ciboag96
Waltonloads08 said:

It took me 6 calls to reserve a picnic area at a local park for a kids birthday party, and I still need to fax them paperwork. It's a total **** show to do anything with the city.

Now imagine that they are in charge of your healthcare.
aTm_bomb
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Waltonloads08 said:

Now imagine that they are in charge of your healthcare.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.