Houston
Sponsored by

Costs of Home Addition

3,993 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GE
DRE06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody built on a master suite to their home in Houston. Interested in how much I could expect to pay for a 400 SF addition (25' x 16') for a master bedroom, master bath, and closets.
Waltonloads08
AG
El Paso
BSD
AG
$250-300 a sqft is an estimate I got from a custom home builder/remodeler. It's more expensive than new home costs because you don't have the economies of scale and the master bath isn't dead space like a gameroom or living room, there's a lot involved.
Pedro Cerano
AG
BSD is correct. I'm currently in month one of a fairly significant renovation. Part of the project is adding a new master with associated bath/closet, etc. For that portion of the project we're a bit under $250/sqft. On the bright side, that's at least adding square footage. The kitchen remodel is where I'm really taking it in the shorts.
BSD
AG
We are adding a master bed/bath/closet and adding 100 sqft to the kitchen (the rest of the kitchen will be gutted)...in addition to two bathroom gut jobs, new floors, and a new patio. We just met with the architect today to finalize the ideas and he'll start the plans on Monday. The costs will suck...but not as much as moving out and moving back in. Ugh.
Pedro Cerano
AG
That's funny. Sounds like we're basically doing the exact same project with the exception that we're also adding a laundry room as currently our laundry is in the garage. We went with an integrated firm that had both design and build together. Had heard too many bad experiences from friends where their architect drew up one thing, and then their builders would push back on all the things that couldn't be done or would cost a fortune. Wanted to avoid that headache. We explored 6-8 firms, met with 3 and then ultimately chose our guys.
Burn-It
AG
We renovated the current house, adding a couple new bedrooms upstairs in addition to a bunch of stuff downstairs. The cost of the room additions was about $200/sq-far. We were pretty frugal on the finishes, so I could easily see that being $250 or more for a master suite addition.
AKA 13-0
94chem
You'll come out way ahead if you just move. The additional square footage will likely cost you half as much or less. I got quoted $40K on ~150 ft^2, so pretty similar.
cab559
AG
94chem said:

You'll come out way ahead if you just move. The additional square footage will likely cost you half as much or less. I got quoted $40K on ~150 ft^2, so pretty similar.

Depends on where you live and what comps are.
AgLA06
AG
cab559 said:

94chem said:

Depends on where you live and what comps are.

Yep. Sq/ft market price plays a lot into that. There's lots of areas around town with sq/ft costs are similar to the numbers being used here to add on.

Live way out in a flooded neighborhood and it's cheaper to move. Live in town and probably not.
kawood82
AG
Hi DRE06,
I own a remodeling company (Houston Renovators). Depending on your finish level you are going to be in the 15-20k range on a master bath most of the time.

Do you have slab or pier and beam? That is going to affect your addition price. If you send me some basic details I can give you a high level estimate on dollar per sq ft.
Mikeyshooter
AG
Spent about 40K about 3 yrs ago for an additional 300 SF.
GE
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Spent about 40K about 3 yrs ago for an additional 300 SF.
Is that a finished 300 SF or just the basic construction?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.