Houston
Sponsored by

Spring Branch

3,459 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SnowboardAg
bthobig12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to possibly move from the Heights to Spring Branch in the near future. Any suggestions on where to look in that area?

Looking for a 10,000 + sf lot, 2,500 + sf home, and good schools.
El Duke
Spring Valley is a great option, mainly south of Westview. VOE is a good Elem. We chose Brykerwoods, great neighborhood, Hunters Creek Elem (they are tearing it down this year and building a new campus), Spring Branch middle (heard mixed but mostly positive reviews) and Memorial High.

Nothing but positive things to say about the area other than you will miss the great restaurants the Heights offers. Homes in your description will pop up every now and then but most are sold by word of mouth before they hit the market.

Betoisafurry
What's your budget. Spring Valley IS great, the cheapest house is also 500k+ for a tear-down.

Ya, I know I'm an lolpoor.

I would avoid anything zoned to northbrook if you're concerned about schools. That's where I currently am, but I don't have school aged kids yet. The established neighborhoods in that area are all decent, it's just the trash in the surrounding apartments that make it look like a 3rd world country in spots.

It seems like spring woods hs is trending up (no, it will never be stratford let alone mhs), curious on what others think about sending their kids though. I'm still 13+ years out from that, so who knows where I'll be.

drumboy
AG
Spring Valley Village is the only area I can think of with lots that big and good schools, well maybe other than the villages.

I've been a refugee in Spring Branch for two years and one day and I like the convenience but miss the walk/bike options in the Heights along with the food & nightlife FWIW. Scheduled to be back in Timbergrove in exactly a month.
Boats and Hose
AG
I'm in Spring Branch (Spring Shadows). It's a good area, but like others said, it's the riff-raff in the surrounding apartments that typically cause the problems. It doesn't have the restaurants that The Heights does, but businesses are slowly beginning to move out here. The schools aren't the best, and we might attempt to move once our kid gets to the elementary school age (5ish years).
SnowboardAg
AG
Spring Valley or Hilshire Village. Valley Oaks is outstanding. Really depends on your budget though.
bthobig12
AG
Schools would be a big part of the decision. We want to find a community that offers the best of both worlds. Close to everything, with more of a suburban feel. Not married to Spring Branch, it's more of a starting point. Would love to hear other opinions. I know Houston well, but I don't know a thing about what areas have the best schools.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
bthobig12 said:

Schools would be a big part of the decision. We want to find a community that offers the best of both worlds. Close to everything, with more of a suburban feel. Not married to Spring Branch, it's more of a starting point. Would love to hear other opinions. I know Houston well, but I don't know a thing about what areas have the best schools.
look towards the Kirkwood @ Memorial hoods.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

bthobig12 said:

look towards the Kirkwood @ Memorial hoods.

Diggity
AG
nobody can give you useful info without a general budget unfortunately.
SnowboardAg
AG
See this with embedded links. This has been exhausted to an extent.

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3012760/replies/53502091
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I bought a house in spring branch 11 years ago and it prints $ with my renters. The area has been developing nicely.
sangredevino
Look in spring wood/timbercreek neighborhood. Lots fit the size you're looking for and zoned to the right schools.
SockDePot
https://www.click2houston.com/news/memorial-villages-is-safest-community-in-texas-website-says

Prices have been coming down over the past few months.

I would seriously consider spending the extra $ to get into spring valley.

You will be spending an extra $200k, but will have a police response time of < 3 minutes 24/7.

We've had to make one emergency call and one non emergency call in the 12 years we've lived in Spring Valley, and the response is instant. Hard to put a price tag on that. Also own fire/ems service (shared with the villages).
sangredevino
Spring valley is very nice if you can afford it.
SnowboardAg
AG
I would go spring valley or hilshire. Prices have been stagnant for about the last 2-3 years (maybe a slight increase in the 700-1mm range due to lower inventory). Anything 1.3 - 1.8 IMO has had more trouble selling (higher inventory) and the better deals can be found there. With that said, if the design and the build quality are there, those homes fly off the market in a few days.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.