Houston
Sponsored by

Traffic Ticket Lawyer?

3,521 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agdreaming
nonameag99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got a speeding ticket in from HPD.

I can't take DD.

If I hire a ticket lawyer do I have to go to court?

I seem to remember reading in past threads that you likely had to go to court multiple times to get it dismissed but it has been years ago.

Thanks!
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
I Am A Critic
Just go to court and ask for deferred adjudication. Only takes 1 trip to court.
nonameag99
I'll do that by mail. I am not going to step foot in a court room if I can help it.

For example, Citizen Law Firm says that they will handle the ticket for $50. I can do deffered for $250. If I have to go to court with the lawyer, i'll just pay the $250.
Your Friend
Op was this yesterday on the Katy frwy by chance?
shihitemuslim
AG
I would use Gilligan Law firm. Spencer Gilligan showed up to court the day after the Fourth of July and got my ticket dismissed. After all the people left who had their tickets dismissed because the police officers didn't show, he came and found me and told me the police officer was avalaible for my case. He had to go speak to the district attorney and they had to get the police officer on the phone. He was there for another hour and a half after having the majority of his clients cases dismissed. And he did this all on his birthday! Mr. Gilligan didn't send an associate there but handled this on his own. I can't thank him enough. I would highly recommend him.
Texaggie7nine
The one above is good. I used Sullo & Sullo.

Was around $100 and all I did was show up on the final court date they got it moved to and it was dismissed.

You might can pay more to have them represent you or something where you dont have to show on the final date.
7nine
AgTech88
AG
David Sprecher - got me out of 25+ over the years. Probably will have to go to court and waste a day of your life. Best case you get off Scott free, worst case short differed adjudication. Save the DD for some jurisdiction out in the sticks with no other option.

Just my 2 cents.
nonameag99
Your Friend said:

Op was this yesterday on the Katy frwy by chance?
GFY!
MAS444
AG
I think Sprecher retired.
MattAg98
AG
I used Markowitz Law for my last ticket. I was in court at 8am and out by 8:40. Ticket dismissed. They charge $125.
Texan_Aggie
AG
I usually just do DD. Something to be said for how much you value your time if you are okay spending a day or morning in court.
fire09
AG
Sullo and Sullo
LostInLA07
AG
I've never had to go to traffic court with my lawyer
BTD
rsmithtesiusa said:

David Sprecher - got me out of 25+ over the years. Probably will have to go to court and waste a day of your life. Best case you get off Scott free, worst case short differed adjudication. Save the DD for some jurisdiction out in the sticks with no other option.

Just my 2 cents.
hahaha, slow the f down!
abacavir
OP dont break the law next time you won't need to come to Texags asking for a lawyer...HTH
agz win
AG
Get a Valentine One.

It again saved me today driving back into Houston.
agdreaming
LostInLA07 said:

I've never had to go to traffic court with my lawyer
@LostInLA07 which lawyer do you recommend? My relative is in a similar situation as the OP
agdreaming
amc123 said:

I used Markowitz Law for my last ticket. I was in court at 8am and out by 8:40. Ticket dismissed. They charge $125.

@amc123 Did Atty Markowitz attend court or did he send a representative? My relative is considering using him

Thank you
Texaggie7nine
I've used Markowitz. It was $125 in fees.

I am pretty sure it was a female atty that was there, but I never interacted with her beyond raising my hand to show I was there.

Once I got the dismissal I just left.
7nine
agdreaming
Texaggie7nine said:

I've used Markowitz. It was $125 in fees.

I am pretty sure it was a female atty that was there, but I never interacted with her beyond raising my hand to show I was there.

Once I got the dismissal I just left.
@Texaggie7nine Thank you
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I received a driving award Saturday in Lake chuck. Found out Louisiana has started a program called pretrial diversion.

Quote:

Louisiana DAs offer motorists a deal: Write us a check and we'll dismiss your speeding ticket

The program allows participants to have their citation considered for dismissal by the court date upon compliance with the following requirements:

Carefully read the below attached Driver Safety Information brochure and the Pre-Trial Intervention Speed Termination Program Voluntary Request and Acknowledgment Form.

Determine proper amount of costs as listed in the table below.
For online payment go to http://www.calcasieudatix.com/ or call 1 (888) 304-5694.

If paying by mail, return a signed copy of the Voluntary Request and Acknowledgement form. Payment may be made by MONEY ORDER or CASHIER'S CHECK made payable to DISTRICT ATTORNEY STP. NO PERSONAL/COMPANY CHECKS OR CASH WILL BE ACCEPTED.

Texaggie7nine
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

I received a driving award Saturday in Lake chuck. Found out Louisiana has started a program called pretrial diversion.

Quote:

Louisiana DAs offer motorists a deal: Write us a check and we'll dismiss your speeding ticket

The program allows participants to have their citation considered for dismissal by the court date upon compliance with the following requirements:

Carefully read the below attached Driver Safety Information brochure and the Pre-Trial Intervention Speed Termination Program Voluntary Request and Acknowledgment Form.

For online payment go to http://www.calcasieudatix.com/ or call 1 (888) 304-5694.

If paying by mail, return a signed copy of the Voluntary Request and Acknowledgement form. Payment may be made by MONEY ORDER or CASHIER'S CHECK made payable to DISTRICT ATTORNEY STP. NO PERSONAL/COMPANY CHECKS OR CASH WILL BE ACCEPTED.

Smart for drive though counties and large cities. If Houston did that, they would get a lot more money and the lawyers would lose out.
7nine
agdreaming
Texaggie7nine said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

Quote:

Smart for drive though counties and large cities. If Houston did that, they would get a lot more money and the lawyers would lose out.

Does anyone know how the 'court valet/ticket valet' option works? My relative was informed by two attorneys, that they can give the attorney a power of attorney, and they would not need to be present in court.

How would this work, as the power of attorney form states that the violator is pleading no contest/guilty so what leverage would the attorney have with the DA?

The POA approach seems the same as just pleading guilty, paying the fine, and not using an attorney at all?

Thank you
agdreaming
I was looking at some data and noticed that on the day my relative has to appear in court for a traffic ticket, there are about 150 traffic cases set for jury trial on that docket, of course some of them are multiple offenses by one individual, so say about 80 cases.

These are in a Harris County Justice of the Peace court.

Say of those 50 defendants show up, and of those lets say 25 police officers/witnesses show up

Do all of these ~25 go to jury trial? I read somewhere that the DA's try to triage the cases, and usually settle or dismiss the less serious cases?

Of course there is no set process, I am just trying to gauge what my relative should expect. He has health and anxiety issues some of which have been documented by the Dr. to be triggered by stress.

Thank you!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.