Houston
Sponsored by

Where's a good place to take a metal detector?

4,404 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 92Ag95
reb,
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just got a spiffy, nice metal detector and want to take reb junior out to find treasure with it. I live in Southeast Houston and my first thought was to go down to a less-crowded beach in galveston. Any other suggestions?
nonameag99
Sports fields
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Is it waterproof? If so, around a boat ramp or dock at low crowd hours.
Liquid Wrench
Seat cushions at strip clubs. Just think of the lost change fortune you could get your hands on once you reach down and dig around!

I bet there's a real treasure at Treasure's just waiting to be found by you!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Take it to the store where you bought it and hope they will give you your money back.
reb,
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Take it to the store where you bought it and hope they will give you your money back.
got it for free thx tho

nonameag99, good call on sports fields
Speedbird087
AG
BrazosDog02
AG
Elementary school yards is where I started with my CZ-5. I found lots of coins, rings, bracelets, class rings,
Etc. kinda fun. After I got my machine tech down I started getting permission from farmers that had old homesteads on their place. There I found coins as well but much older stuff. Silver coins. From there we started researching small town history along the Brazos and stumbled on an old campground on the Brazos banks near Richmond. Found military coat buttons, militaria of various sorts. Anyway, just start somewhere and the rest will follow. Make sure you follow rules and get permission. I happened to be working a brand new subdivision along the Brazos where I got permission from a couple of future homeowners. Once youre in, you have run of the place until development is complete.
reb,
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Elementary school yards is where I started with my CZ-5. I found lots of coins, rings, bracelets, class rings,
Etc. kinda fun. After I got my machine tech down I started getting permission from farmers that had old homesteads on their place. There I found coins as well but much older stuff. Silver coins. From there we started researching small town history along the Brazos and stumbled on an old campground on the Brazos banks near Richmond. Found military coat buttons, militaria of various sorts. Anyway, just start somewhere and the rest will follow. Make sure you follow rules and get permission. I happened to be working a brand new subdivision along the Brazos where I got permission from a couple of future homeowners. Once youre in, you have run of the place until development is complete.
that, in a manner of speaking, is super cool. thank you.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
So cool. I did a very small amount of research on civil war camps in our area and didn't come up with much. Guess I should have dug deeper!
Have read about people having good luck finding old stuff on the tx city dike but the legality seems iffy.
I don't have the balls to go door knocking in old neighborhoods but you might, I have mostly hit parks in my 50s neighborhood. Poke around big old oak trees but prepare to be frustrated at signals that are under big roots. I also like poking around old rest stops when I'm driving a long way, but they are pull tab and bottlecap central.
I don't know why you'd go to a less-crowded beach to find stuff, the crowded beaches are where people drop stuff! You just need to go at less-crowded times...
oh and I don't know how old reb jr is but I have a blast MDing with my 3 year old, he has enjoyed hearing the machine "bonk" since he could first walk
Stick-Horse
Reb, email me jmobley at ccpipellc dot com, I am on the east side of Houston too. I have several places that my 7 year old and I go, we just recently started detecting.
BrazosDog02
AG
NRD09 said:

So cool. I did a very small amount of research on civil war camps in our area and didn't come up with much. Guess I should have dug deeper!
Have read about people having good luck finding old stuff on the tx city dike but the legality seems iffy.
I don't have the balls to go door knocking in old neighborhoods but you might, I have mostly hit parks in my 50s neighborhood. Poke around big old oak trees but prepare to be frustrated at signals that are under big roots. I also like poking around old rest stops when I'm driving a long way, but they are pull tab and bottlecap central.
I don't know why you'd go to a less-crowded beach to find stuff, the crowded beaches are where people drop stuff! You just need to go at less-crowded times...
oh and I don't know how old reb jr is but I have a blast MDing with my 3 year old, he has enjoyed hearing the machine "bonk" since he could first walk

These camps probably never made any books. We found a lot of musket balls which is how we dated what we found. We found musket balls that were pristine with patina and some that were smashed. Loved contemplating what poor souls or poor trees suffered at the end of that shot. The military buttons had "I" and some had "A" on them indicating artillery or infantry. Some had nothing. They were union soldier buttons if I recall. We lived near the Brazos river in Richmond. It's littered with historical sites. As I understand, many camps were set up on vends so they could communicate with other camps via line of site to warn of enemies. Not sure if that's true. Anyway, it wasn't earth shattering stuff but it was cool to simply realize that stuff happened there and it was important enough to have an army of some sort there.

The entire area we hunted is now directly beneath homes, roads and backyards and those people have zero clue it exists.

I used to spend a lot of time trekking up and done the river as a kid fishing and looking for arrowheads. I was made aware of campsites to hunt by stumbling across militaria that washed out of the bank where I walked. Anything under foot came from up above. It's cool and fun. It's a neat hobby. We never found anything excessively valuable but we had a hell of a lot fun.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Seat cushions at strip clubs. Just think of the lost change fortune you could get your hands on once you reach down and dig around!

I bet there's a real treasure at Treasure's just waiting to be found by you!

Catch?
bigjag19
AG
reb, said:

I just got a spiffy, nice metal detector and want to take reb junior out to find treasure with it. I live in Southeast Houston and my first thought was to go down to a less-crowded beach in galveston. Any other suggestions?

There are some open fields off 45 near League City. No telling what you'll find.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Someone post a reasonable Amazon link for a metal detector. Brazos' posts got me hyped.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

There are some open fields off 45 near League City. No telling what you'll find.

Madman
AG
Take it too a parking garage. Highlanders often have sword fights in them. You might be able to recover bits of steel folded over 200 times from a 3000 year old Japanese sword.

Or maybe even the actual sword as they are often hidden in the garage after a Highlander decapitates his foe.
rilloaggie
AG
Head to East Texas. BA Steinhagen lake is drained/draining currently for repairs to the dam. Throw on some mud boots and go nuts.
agz win
AG
Indianola.
92Ag95
AG
I grew up an Army brat and oh did I find some cool stuff on old military installations. The parade fields were a gold mine of buttons, medals, coins.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.