Houston
Sponsored by

Nottingham Forest Neighborhood Area - Houston

13,766 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Worm01
RedCow12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We're moving to Houston this summer and we're looking at homes in the Nottingham Forest area. We've got a couple of elementary aged kids.

I'm hoping someone can give me the skinny on the neighborhood...Is is a good place to live? Are the schools good? Hoping to learn more about what kind of folks live there.

I know the neighborhood got hammered during Harvey...curious if it ever flooded before that.

Any other information you think my wife may be interested in, please shoot my way.

Thank you in advance!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Move to El Paso. This town is full.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
great neighborhood for young families with kids.

don't think there was any flooding issues prior to Harvey.
stroodles
AG
Shoot me an email -
E
AG
Howdy! My brother lives in that area and it is a wonderful neighborhood. Tons of young families and seems like once people move there they never move out. Lots of families that buy a second and larger home there once they outgrow their first one.

What is your price range? I currently have a house in this neighborhood listed for sale in the $700's and sellers are getting antsy to sell.
RedCow12
How about the High school? I noticed it got a B- in rankings...Is it considered a crappy school?

We're looking around the 600s or so.
TulaneAg
Stratford is the high school. Pretty good public school. Not elite but good solid 2nd tier.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Check elevation levels in the area where you want to live.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I live in NF. When we were looking a few years ago I very quickly realized I only wanted (or could afford) to live in NF or Westchester/NF8. Fantastic neighhoods with fantastic neighbors. Nottingham Forest on the east side of Dairy Ashford goes to Meadow Wood, Westchester/NF8 goes to Nottingham Elem.

Tons of younger families moving into these neighborhoods but the pace of tear downs and the sort hasn't accelerated too much to fill the houses with giant McManaions. We love living here and feel very fortunate to have such great neighbors.
E
AG
Stay East of Kirkwood. West of Mirkwood has the lower rated middle school which is why homes are cheaper on that side, whereas East is zoned to Memorial middle.
PottsDW
AG
stroodles said:

Shoot me an email - weiner at gee mail dot com

Don't trust this guy.

Hide 'ya kids, hide 'ya wife.
TXAG 05
AG
PottsDW said:

stroodles said:

Shoot me an email - struzick at gee mail dot com

Don't trust this guy.

I see you have hung out with him too.

Stroodles-what's up dude?!
Mikeyshooter
AG
PottsDW said:

stroodles said:

Shoot me an email - struzick at gee mail dot com

Don't trust this guy.

Lol
IDaggie06
AG
I'm on the board of a nearby hoa with someone who was on the NF board for several years up until recently. Everything I hear about that neighborhood and it's HOA seems FAR superior that most the neighborhoods around. NF is a more expensive neighborhood but I would move there if I could afford it. I also can't get myself to pay $15k+ in property taxes a year but I'm lolpoor for sure.
ATM9000
AG
I moved into the area a year ago and we absolutely love it. Location is great. You can get into town in 20 minutes and the access to the Beltway and I-10 to get wherever you might want to go is quietly a huge but understated perk to the area. Schools are all really good and great sense of community in basicallly every neighborhood.

Only thing I'll say as advice more than anything is you are likely buying an old ass house if you purchase in this area. We love our old house, but make sure you know everything you can about it before buying it because it will be expensive and old house maintenance can't be understated. Your wife will be swept away by updates in some houses because you'll see a lot not updated and the new refurbs look just so much nicer... just know that a lot of people tend to just buy the new cabinets and floors and countertops... but leave the galvanized pipe and aluminum wire and cast iron drain pipes for the new owners to deal with. In other words, if you buy in this area, make sure you are able to do so with a nice reserve of cash behind to take on unforeseen maintenance.
BMF_AG95
AG
Live in NF8 (west of dairy ashford). About 2/3 of the neighborhood flooded due to Harvey. Many of those homes had never flooded even in the tax day or Memorial Day floods. Sort of the same thing in NF. Nottingham elem is great. The principal has done a really good job the last 5+ years.

We moved from Dallas to the area about six years ago. Didn't really know a lot other than we wanted spring branch isd. Either zoned to Stratford or memorial. Ended up with NHE, spring forest and Stratford. Turned out to be great choice! Great neighbors. Similar ages with kids.
JeffAggie2012
AG
Red Cow, I live in the neighborhood and have a friend who is about to put their home up for sale but is going to be for sale by owner to avoid some costs. Send me an email if you are interested and I will forward your email to him. 2230 sqft. 4 bedroom 3 full bath. 460k. My email is username@gmail.com
Oyster DuPree
AG
It's a nice place to live, provided you can avoid the dastardly Guy of Gisbourne
Burn-It
AG
Get the best flood insurance available,

signed,

Army Corps of Engineers
Harris County Flood Control District
AKA 13-0
stroodles
AG

Ziggy Sobotka
AG
I live in Thornwood and have since 2011, I highly recommend the area. Best of both worlds as far as distance from town and the schools are good. If you need any advice or help I'm happy to help, I'm an area expert. (Also a Realtor)

will at winhilladvisors dot com
Mikeyshooter
AG
Thornwood
DRE06
AG
Thornwood
Sazerac
AG
I'm under contract for a house in NF on the east side.
Previously lived in Nottingham.

Both great neighborhoods with similar elementary schools and pretty different middle schools. North of memorial has easier access to I10 and memorial, but I've always liked the feel of the neighborhoods as you move towards the bayou.

Will be selling a house this fall in Thornwood in the north section on a cul de sac. Going to put on a new roof and some new flooring first (and get it cleaned out).
4/2.5 2,003 ft2 1-story. Pretty well updated. PM if interested in discussing before I list.

Motis B Totis
AG
How does rummel creek compare to NF or Thornwood?
MAS444
AG
Closer to town and better school.
DRE06
AG
Motis B Totis said:

How does rummel creek compare to NF or Thornwood?

About twice as expensive as Thornwood, but your get better schools and you aren't of Dairy Ashford which is commercial. While the schools are definitely better, it can be argued whether it actually makes a difference. For me, once you get to a certain level of schools quality (such as those of Thornwood and NF) I feel it mostly comes down to parenting.

As far as closer to town, you are talking about 1.8 miles closer to town. Less than 5 minutes.
Sazerac
AG
My daughter did 3 yrs each at Wilchester and Rummel recently. Rummel is absolutely fantastic and Wikchester was good/great.

Meadow Wood - according to friends - is similar to Wilchester. A little more mixed (which I have no problem with). Thornwood is rough. Nottingham is supposed to be much improved.

The middle schools are verrrry different with Memorial Middle much preferred (though with its own issues)

They all share Stratford as the HS which is very competitive but still a good mix of kids IMO. Memorial high school is too homogenous for my taste...

DRE06
AG
Thornwood neighborhood is zoned to Nottingham elementary, not Thornwood elementary.

You do not want to be zoned to Thornwood Elementary. It's mostly lower income apartments and a neighborhood north of I-10.

I agree that the big difference is the middle school....Spring Forest MS vs Memorial MS. That is really what seems to drive he housing prices between the neighborhoods.

I also agree with Stratford HS > Memorial HS. More diverse, but have I have met many people in their 40s that sent kids to Memorial HS who wish they would have gone to Stratford.
Sazerac
AG
Yes I know. He was asking for comparisons between 3 things, two of them schools and two of them neighborhoods. Did my best.
Tormentos
AG
We lived in Westchester for a number of years and are now renting the house as we are living overseas. Thankfully our home stayed completely dry during Harvey. Highly recommend the general area. I would echo what the poster above said...if you are moving into an older home be prepared for the work and maintenance surpises that come with it. My first house was a ranch down in Lazybrook and then we moved into Westchester which was similar age...one day I will get my new build
Worm01
AG
We just moved into NF8 last month and couldn't be happier. Awesome neighborhood, great neighbors that all know each other and he's been very welcoming, easy access to everything we do, etc. It's also a VERY Aggie heavy area. Warning: it's a drinking neighborhood, so better bring your rolling Yeti for the Friday night street drinking.
Worm01
AG
ATM9000 said:

I moved into the area a year ago and we absolutely love it. Location is great. You can get into town in 20 minutes and the access to the Beltway and I-10 to get wherever you might want to go is quietly a huge but understated perk to the area. Schools are all really good and great sense of community in basicallly every neighborhood.

Only thing I'll say as advice more than anything is you are likely buying an old ass house if you purchase in this area. We love our old house, but make sure you know everything you can about it before buying it because it will be expensive and old house maintenance can't be understated. Your wife will be swept away by updates in some houses because you'll see a lot not updated and the new refurbs look just so much nicer... just know that a lot of people tend to just buy the new cabinets and floors and countertops... but leave the galvanized pipe and aluminum wire and cast iron drain pipes for the new owners to deal with. In other words, if you buy in this area, make sure you are able to do so with a nice reserve of cash behind to take on unforeseen maintenance.
This is 100% though. We got lucky to find one with "good bones" and mostly renovated, but there's still a lot to do (driveway is busted, galvanized piping, attic insulation is almost non-existent), But the trade off is big trees, houses that all have their own style, and not a lot of "keeping up with the Joneses". You should have plenty of good options in the 600's-700's, but they won't be new builds.

Also, careful with the ones that were flipped by investors. There's a few that have done it right and have been a part of the neighborhood. But there are others that have used cheap materials, and focused on aesthetics instead of doing a quality job. We looked at a few and you can tell the difference pretty easily.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Worm01 said:

We just moved into NF8 last month and couldn't be happier. Awesome neighborhood, great neighbors that all know each other and he's been very welcoming, easy access to everything we do, etc. It's also a VERY Aggie heavy area. Warning: it's a drinking neighborhood, so better bring your rolling Yeti for the Friday night street drinking.

GW?
Worm01
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Worm01 said:

GW?
Yup
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.