Houston
Sponsored by

Anyone Else Notice The Homeless Pick Up Drop Off Man?

6,012 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Coog97
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I-10 and Durham Shephard area I keep seeing the same F150 dropping off his beggars in the morning then picking them up I guess when their shifts are over around 7PM.

Always the same group of panhandlers. Always the same white ford truck.

Is he a homeless pimp? Their drug dealer/ride service?

They get out with their cardboard signs and go to work begging.
SnowboardAg
AG
Getting gas today and homeless guy approached me saying he's hungry. I offer to buy him McDonald's and he says he prefers cash for groceries. I'm waiting for the homeless to start accepting CC payments.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Who's that poster that works at KTRH? Seems like a good low effort story. Send some intern out with an iPhone, wait for truck and out of the editing room in time for Live at 5.
PJYoung
AG
SnowboardAg said:

Getting gas today and homeless guy approached me saying he's hungry. I offer to buy him McDonald's and he says he prefers cash for groceries. I'm waiting for the homeless to start accepting CC payments.

Some do. No lie
Taquito with Cheese
there is a guy that works the corner by my office, he pulses out $100 every day for beer and cigs, and yet he lives in his van.
lancevance
Going homeless is a very efficient way to save for your startup
Diggity
AG
They have a pretty organized crew working the Westheimer lights by the Galleria. There's about four working rush hour playing divide on conquer. Don't understand why anyone gives these folks money.
Ag_07
AG
Isn't that the intersection with the Meaningful Change sign discouraging people from giving to panhandlers?
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

Who's that poster that works at KTRH?
I think he moved on from that job.
7nine
Diggity
AG
yeah, but I'm mainly talking about the crew on Westheimer as you're heading east.

The bums did deface the "Meaningful Change" sign a few times though. Always amusing.
Biz Ag
AG
SnowboardAg said:

PayPal or Venmo
agz win
AG
There are also drop off/pick up crews at Kirby/59 and Pierce/Fannin areas.
Madman
AG
It sounds like a 1980s comedy movie to me. Or like the Wile E Coyote and Sam WB cartoons with the dog and coyote being friends outside of work but beating the crap out of each other after clocking in.
Madman
AG
El Duke
The I-10/Shepherd crew has been around for a long time. In 2008 I lived in Heights and worked at Midtown Plaza, the 60 year old white guy with white hair and glasses would stand by the bail bonds place every single day across from the Valero. When Ike hit in Sept. 2008 I took pictures of flooded i-10 and he is in those shots.

Fast forward to July 2019, and the same guy is still on those general corners, looking healthier than he did in 2008. One day I was taking back roads to my office cutting through Cadillac Bar area and I saw the man with glasses walk into a house that backed up to the railroad tracks. His morning commute is a simple 5 min walk and he makes $100 a day.

PJYoung
AG
Biz Ag said:

SnowboardAg said:

PayPal or Venmo

In Austin some of them have the square attachment for their iPhones.
Madman
AG
El Duke said:

The I-10/Shepherd crew has been around for a long time. In 2008 I lived in Heights and worked at Midtown Plaza, the 60 year old white guy with white hair and glasses would stand by the bail bonds place every single day across from the Valero. When Ike hit in Sept. 2008 I took pictures of flooded i-10 and he is in those shots.

Fast forward to July 2019, and the same guy is still on those general corners, looking healthier than he did in 2008. One day I was taking back roads to my office cutting through Cadillac Bar area and I saw the man with glasses walk into a house that backed up to the railroad tracks. His morning commute is a simple 5 min walk and he makes $100 a day.

I bet these guys do better than $100 on most days. They seem to get a hit about every other light change and most people hand them a few bills, probably $1s but still.

Its probably more like $20 to $30 an hour and they seem to be out there from 7 to 7 or so.
txags92
AG
If you can get one sucker an hour to give you a ten spot, you are making better than minimum wage and you don't have to actually do any work other than standing there looking pitiful. You can set your own hours, work the days you want to work, and can drink and smoke on the job. As long as people keep giving them money, these "bums" have a pretty good gig going. Most of them probably walk over to the nearest parking lot and get in their car to go home when they finish "working" their corner for the day.
David_Puddy
AG
Sad that people do this, but also at least have to admire them being able to stand all day in 100+ degree heat. That's no easy task. I get more pissed off at the ones who have their dogs with them.
Sorrell Booke
Taquito with Cheese said:

there is a guy that works the corner by my office, he pulses out $100 every day for beer and cigs, and yet he lives in his van.
Did you just say he "pulses out" money?

I haven't heard that phrase in years.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
$72k to $130k tax free ain't bad.
Madman
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

$72k to $130k tax free ain't bad.

That will keep a lot of these guys covered in the drug of their choice so medical is also covered.
David_Puddy
AG
I was in Austin over the weekend and that place has turned into tent city. They've got the lake nearby to cool off in and are basically camping year round minus a bunch of trees around them.
PJYoung
AG
David_Puddy said:

I was in Austin over the weekend and that place has turned into tent city. They've got the lake nearby to cool off in and are basically camping year round minus a bunch of trees around them.

i.e. any major city on the West Coast.
agz win
AG
Just drove by the tent city under 59 at the ball park and it's bigger than ever.

And props to Irma and her delicious mole chicken. Always a home run.
Bregxit
AG
PJYoung said:

Biz Ag said:

SnowboardAg said:

PayPal or Venmo

I ran into one with that outside Minute Maid a couple months ago. I said "All I have is Visa" and he whipped out his iPhone and plugged in the square. I was speechless, thankfully my buddy wasn't.
txags92
AG
dlance said:

PJYoung said:

Biz Ag said:

SnowboardAg said:

PayPal or Venmo

I ran into one with that outside Minute Maid a couple months ago. I said "All I have is Visa" and he whipped out his iPhone and plugged in the square. I was speechless, thankfully my buddy wasn't.
If they can afford an iPhone and accessories, they don't need a "donation" from me.
PJYoung
AG
txags92 said:

dlance said:

PJYoung said:

Biz Ag said:

SnowboardAg said:

PayPal or Venmo

If they can afford an iPhone and accessories, they don't need a "donation" from me.

So my daughter works with a homeless population of about 50 that attend their Wednesday night church. It's interesting to say the least.

For almost all of them their prize possession is their smart phone.

They are socially divided into beggars and people who are actively looking for work. They also take up collections among themselves when one of them is in especially dire circumstances.
txags92
AG
PJYoung said:

txags92 said:

dlance said:

PJYoung said:

Biz Ag said:

SnowboardAg said:

PayPal or Venmo

So my daughter works with a homeless population of about 50 that attend their Wednesday night church. It's interesting to say the least.

For almost all of them their prize possession is their smart phone.

They are socially divided into beggars and people who are actively looking for work. They also take up collections among themselves when one of them is in especially dire circumstances.
That is just the thing. Most in the population that are panhandling on street corners are not there because they have no other option (contrary to the cute little stories printed on their signs). Most of them are there either because it is a much easier way to make a few hundred bucks a day than working in a fast food kitchen, or because they are addicts who are unwilling to live in a shelter because the shelter won't let them drink or do drugs there. Neither population is truly homeless, they have just rejected the options out there that could put a roof over their head. As you say, most of them have a phone, many of them have plenty of other possessions they could sell or trade for things they need. They just don't want to do what the rest of us do, which is put on decent clothes and go be pleasant enough to somebody somewhere in order to get paid for employment. They have rejected that path and decided they would rather live under a bridge and drink or inject their life down the drain. I really don't see why anybody ought to feel like they should be handing out money to further those kinds of life choices. A truly homeless person with no other option can walk into any church in Houston and ask for help, and they will be taken care of wonderfully until they can get back on their feet. The "homeless problem" that all cities face these days is made up mostly of people who have plenty of options, but they choose for whatever their own reasons are (mental illness is a big one) to be where they are.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

I-10 and Durham Shephard area
Has always been bad. I was at that Valero one night about 10 years ago when a skinny nervous looking white guy approached me. After politely suggesting to him that he should be careful about approaching people from behind after dark because some people might be confused about his intentions, I think I eventually gave him a dollar after he said he really needed five dollars. Watched him walk to the adjacent parking lot and get in a cargo van where another dude was sitting in the driver's seat. Figured I just helped him score some rock, but who knows?

Also always loved the Mexican guy who would sit in a lawn chair every day w/ a sign that said "help if you want to."
nonameag99
It looks like you are part of the problem!
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Boo Weekley
What blows my mind even more, is how the Shell, just across I-10 from Valero, can dupe any people at all into paying California gas prices. Insane.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Agreed. **** is insane. Business model must work though because its been that way for at least 10-years.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Main/Buffalo Spwy and 610 too
aggiedata
AG
There is a guy at Washington and 1 10. Before I got off FB, the neighborhood group organized a way to get him into a program, a job, and housing. I thought to myself that's not going to work. But hey, go ahead and try.

After 2 weeks he was back. Wearing the shirt of the organization helping him and better shoes. They make more doing less standing there. He's pretty good at what he does. I see him every morning. It's prime territory. He had to re-establish his domination.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.