Houston
Sponsored by

More changes at 610

18,338 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgFlyGuy
Liquid Wrench
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ags #1 said:

Do people really still listen to sport AM radio??
As opposed to that exciting new FM format?
kubiak03
AG
The new afternoon show is terrible
Jackal99
AG
Yeah, I listened to it yesterday and could only take a few minutes of it. Brutal.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Col. Steve Austin said:

Texan_Aggie said:

Col. Steve Austin said:

Social Media Influencer said:

That's just not how it works. No station GM ever hands the microphone to a guy he just let go.

You should rewatch Moneyball if it makes you sad when someone gets cut.
Exactly! I mean he was fired, not laid off due to budget cuts, reduction in force, etc. And he's been in the business long enough to know something like that could happen to anyone, including himself.

When was the last time someone was fired at your place of employment (for any reason) and was allowed to finish out the day/week? Never happens.
The reason makes a big difference as does industry. For our company, If leaving for another competitor or fired for a discreditable act against the profession, gone that minute. If it's for performance or budget-related, there's usually a transition period whereby we transition projects to new staff and get them up to speed on it. I have rarely seen someone get fired on the spot and leave.

I don't know the behind the scenes, my guess is neither Rich nor Mike were spot fired and this was a change in direction for the station. With that reason, I think both Mike and Rich were professional enough not to trash the company and would handle it well. If they weren't, there's a dump button and security to stop them real-time.

Completely understand what you are saying and Company has every right to fire on the spot, but I think that the tenure and service to the Company should have been considered. Mike was fired in an email, apparently.
Curious what industry you work in and how long at the same company. I have 39 years with the same company and EVERYONE that has ever been fired in our operation was gone immediately, regardless of the reason. There was never a transition period for anyone, regardless of position, up to and including one General Manager. From my experience, it has been the same with other companies in our industry.
It's a large professional services firm (JD/CFA/CPA) for about 10 years. It's a bit different given that our ex-employees/partners become our clients or advocate for us (referrals), so saving face and continuing relationships is extremely important. Most of our employees leave voluntarily, though they may have a 30-60 required notice of intent to resign and a non-compete up to 2 years.
Goodest Poster
AG
"Pauly G" was annoying as eff. Always talks through his nose and does stupid voice impressions.

One thing to his credit- he clearly show prepped well. I just can't stand listening to him.

This isn't about one guy though as people have pointed out. Something systemic is at play. I liked Mike because he was very different and pragmatic. I thought he was a good compliment to Seth who can explode at any minute. I love his instability.

I don't enjoy Sirius because I can never get the sound right. Always sounds like someone is blaring it through a cave that has aluminum foil walls.

Last disclaimer- all of them are more talented than I am at what they do. I think I could talk sports all day but in this "Well Actually" age we live in...id go crazy.
Ags #1
AG
Maybe satellite radio, or any other streaming service? Never understood listening to a bunch of people call into a radio shwo and usually discuss crazy trade ideas.
reb,
AG
gallant is doug gottlieb levels of terrible trash, id rather a pit bull chew through my testicles than listen to an hour of him
Harry Stone
AG
Nick Wright was the only Houston sports radio host worth a **** and thats why he is on tv now.
MAS444
AG
This thread is so agonizing... Yet I continue to read it. And now I'm posting on it. I need a vacation.
CFTXAG10
AG
Pendergast is the only regular I really care to listen to. But I still tune in to hear John Harris and Vandy.
redag06
Harry Stone said:

Nick Wright is a self hating race baiter and that's why he is on tv now.
FIFY
cap-n-jack
Just y
runontexas
AG
Innes, Vandy, & Lopez were top notch. Once they broke up the Triplets of Houston it was all downhill. #BringThemBack
Aggie Rick
AG
runontexas said:

Innes, Vandy, & Lopez were top notch. Once they broke up the Triplets of Houston it was all downhill. #BringThemBack

It's impossible to take a lot of the 610 Texans talk seriously but Vandy is impossible to listen to.

"Coach O'Brien could teach a class in clock management."

"Great idea of the Texans to take a 5th TE with their third round pick as this roster has no immediate holes to fill."
@Aggie_Rick
runontexas
AG
Those guys were the dream team, the Ben and Skin of Houston. #BringThemBack
Texan_Aggie
AG
Rick Kamla out at 610. Good, he was super annoying
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Well that didn't take long.
AgFlyGuy
AG
I don't think he was as bad as Clint. It's near impossible to listen to him.
Aggie Rick
AG
kamla sucked, glad they picked that up quick. Maybe it's what management told him to do but he sounded like his only job was to set up Stoerner's accent for takes.
@Aggie_Rick
Texan_Aggie
AG
Agreed. I will say Stoerner sounds completely different and is somewhat enjoyable on Texans post game. He sounds more like an experienced qb than someone the station found in the backwoods and just said go.
AgFlyGuy
AG
Aggie Rick said:

kamla sucked, glad they picked that up quick. Maybe it's what management told him to do but he sounded like his only job was to set up Stoerner's accent for takes.
What makes you think Kamla got fired? From what I've read he left for another opportunity(Expanded role with Sirius). Outside of the morning show, 610 has gone downhill with their recent moves.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.