Houston
Sponsored by

More changes at 610

18,337 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AgFlyGuy
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Who?
Liquid Wrench
I was afraid this was going to be about more closures on the West Loop.
Texaggie7nine
I couldn't name more than 2 people on 610.
7nine
Truvada_for_prep
Made the switch to Sirius never again with Houston AM radio not sure how yall do it.
Liquid Wrench
Texaggie7nine said:

I couldn't name more than 2 people on 610.
Captain Mickey and Captain Bennie.
Scruffy
AG
Has there been anyone worth listening to (on radio period) since Chris Baker left?
HtownAg92
AG
Truvada_for_prep said:

Made the switch to Sirius never again with Houston AM radio not sure how yall do it.
This, with a little bit more punctuation. I could maybe tolerate Pallilo talking baseball or Lance Z doing impressions, but all the rest was horrible.

Was this guy as much of a whiny beeech as he is in his "major announcement"?
Ag_07
AG
Gallant was awful. Even more awful than any typical personality on 610. Did he even have his own show? I only remember hearing him on other shows randomly.
Liquid Wrench
I've heard him before but not enough to have an opinion. Website says he was on in the mornings with Seth Payne.
aTm2004
AG
Truvada_for_prep said:

Yep. Listen to Sirius College during football season on my drive in everyday. Podcasts in the off-season with exception of the Top 5 at 5.
aTm2004
AG
Scruffy said:

Has there been anyone worth listening to (on radio period) since Chris Baker left?

In the Loop was good when Nick Wright was there. He and John Lopez really were a good duo, and they also had Jim Mudd. Switched to Sirius after Nick left.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Whoever is the hiring manager at 610am needs to be let go too, although i do like Clint Stoerner. He is pretty entertaining.
CFTXAG10
AG
I will listen to Mike/Seth occasionally and I like Sean Pendergast but thats pretty much it
AustinCountyAg
I may be in the minority but Matt Thomas Show on 790 is the best houston has to offer. Sean Salisbury isn't bad in the morning, but that chick on his show makes it almost impossible to listen too. She kills the vibe with her 104KRBE shock jock wanna be takes. Not to mention her lack of sports knowledge brings everyone down when she always has to be corrected.
Aggie Rick
AG
Paul was fantastic on the night show. He is much more entertaining than most of the hosts there. Hard to believe there isnt a place for him there with some of the other crappy on air personalities.
agfan2332
Everyone has their own taste with Houston sports talk. It all comes down to personal preference. I love 97.5 with John and Lance but it's also because I've known those guys for years. I think each station has good talent but it just gets diluted with having things shoved down our throats.

Take 610 for example. They HAVE to shove Texans down people's throats and that's why they are suffering. Sean Pendergast is probably the best talent they have their and he gets lost in the shuffle because of where he is but from what I hear he's the king now compared to what Rich Lord once was.

790 is kinda purgatory because so many people were turned off by Josh Innes, I don't think people wanted to listen to that channel anymore. I think Matt Thomas is good, but think he has a terrible time slot. Sean Salisbury was really good on 97.5 but I think people get turned off by the people he has with him. And then the other shows are just blah over there.

I think talent is just mixed up in bad situations and there for makes the whole product seem lousy in the city.
Texaggie7nine
I liked Josh with Salisbury the most of any shows so far. Salisbury by himself is eh.
7nine
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Aggie Rick said:

Paul was fantastic on the night show. He is much more entertaining than most of the hosts there. Hard to believe there isnt a place for him there with some of the other crappy on air personalities.
Chewy
AG
I'm assuming all these stations make money or barely break even? As others have referenced the sports talk talent in this town is is way too diluted. It's fascinating one station can't pull together a solid day of talent and just own everyone else.
sts7049
AG
glad to see another AM radio thread. it had been more than 2 weeks i think.
kubiak03
AG
They must be making money since 1560 began and really started stretching the talent out. Add espn and it made it worse.

No way all those stations would still be around if they didn't make some cheese.

I recall fondly in high school doing my yards during the summer listening to 610 throughout the day with Jim Rome midday.

W
AG
absolutely 610 is hamstrung by the Texans. Nobody wants to listen or talk about the Texans when the baseball season is going on. The Astros should be the lead story everyday in the summer time
W
AG
yes, I think they are making some money, but not that much. (in the black barely) The market really needs one of the sportstalk stations to go away. Not enough advertisers to support it. That's why the hosts / lineups are constantly changing
MelvinUdall
I love all the posters that post about radio stations they don't listen to, but somehow know the programming.

Oh and the others that post about an AM sports radio topic, just to make a comment about said topic.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My favorite will always be Kolache dork.
My second favorite is hates soccer guy
Satellite radio so I don't have to listen to over the airwaves guy is really climbing the ranks.
MelvinUdall
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Satellite radio so I don't have to listen to over the airwaves guy is really climbing the ranks.

Exactly...
Truvada_for_prep

Sorry you can't afford satellite radio
Alex Bregman
AG
30 minute commute from my suburb guy is also strong
Liquid Wrench
MelvinUdall said:

I love all the posters that post about radio stations they don't listen to, but somehow know the programming.

Oh and the others that post about an AM sports radio topic, just to make a comment about said topic.
Who are your favorite hosts? I already listed mine.
ChAg1799
AG
Producer Kenny is funny as hell... John and Lance, Michael Berry... I guess Ndee and Greg.... after that they are all equally worthless
MelvinUdall
Social Media Influencer said:

MelvinUdall said:

Who are your favorite hosts? I already listed mine.

Generally listen to John and Lance, flipping it occasionally to Seth and Mike. I like to listen to Landry and Lopez, I suffer through listening to Rich Lord so that I can listen to Sean, especially when Stoerner is on.
Mr_mo8268
AG
The amount of turnover and switching around there in the last 24-36 months has been hilarious to watch. I believe it's Ryan? They always mention but whoever is in charge of talent and line up needs to get canned imo.

Nick and lopez was great and I'm happy for Nicks national success. I also liked the triple threat with Sean, rich and ted. Sean clearly the most talented at the station now but the afternoon isn't the same without Ted Johnson.

Jim Mud giving the up yours and going to Innes was probably a bad move in hind sight. What does he do now?

Houston sports talk is trash anyway but can't avoid it sometimes I guess. My theory is it's not how big the market is but how rooted the market is in Pro Sports with history etc. too many are more College fans in our region compared to a Philly, NYC, Boston, etc.

I think the guys on The Ticket in Dallas have been there forever. I guess they just pay up to keep them local? It's a dying industry anyway I guess.
Furlock Bones
AG
the worst thing about 610 is the Texans talk. 15 minutes every hour of will Clowney show up to training camp.
Bassmaster
AG

Hates soccer guy is correct. It sucks.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.