Houston
Sponsored by

Inexpensive mobile phone plans

3,078 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thomas Sowell, PhD
Thomas Sowell, PhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2 smart phones used frequently online. Our IPhones are on a Verizon plan that's very reliable but the total for the 2 phones with all the taxes/fees is $163 per month

Wondering about WalMart T-Mobile or Cricket
AustinCountyAg
you are a doctor and you are worried about $160 a month?
Texaggie7nine
Are you on unlimited data?

Do you think you can keep under 5 gigs shared a month?
7nine
Ag_07
AG
The only correct answer...

P.H. Dexippus
AG
It all come down to data usage.
https://fi.google.com/about/plan/
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Who do you think the OP is? Oysters Rockefeller? Only real answer:

zooguy96
We use Cricket. 22 gigs each per month unlimited everything else $80 for 2 lines.
drumboy
AG
Cricket unlimited data is $50 flat for me and they use AT&T's network so it works well. I think it's throttled to 3 MBps but I could pay a little more for faster speeds.

My brother uses Mint which works on TMobile's network.
MrWonderful
AG
Depends on what your needs are. Do you stay mostly in the city or spend a lot of time in rural areas? If in the city and you want to save money go with T-mobile or Sprint. Neither will have as good coverage as verizon or ATT, but if you are mostly urban / have access to wifi you probably won't notice a big drop. If you need good rural coverage go with Verizon or ATT depending on the coverage map.

The other option that might work for you is to go with something like xfinity mobile. They use their wifi network as mini-towers and verizon network as a backup.

As an FYI:

Cricket = ATT , Boost = Sprint, Virgin / Metro = Tmobile. Everyone else is an MVNO using someone else's network.

Edit to say that most of the differentiation these days isn't so much in price as it is what you can get bundled with it. Verizon has Fios, ATT has directv, TMO has netflix, Sprint has hulu / amazon prime / tidal. If you use any of those currently may be a good idea to look further into that carrier if there isn't another deciding factor
94chem
So is Boost all CDMA phones? If you travel abroad, a CDMA phone is a pain in the rear, unless you have wifi calling.
MrWonderful
AG
Verizon and sprint (also boost) phones are CDMA, but most new phones have both antennas. If you have a SIM card then you probably have GSM compatibility (assuming you get a local SIM card at your destination). Depends on what device you have. That said most travel is Mexico or Canada where it doesn't matter (all carriers cover there now prettt seamlessly when you have unlimited). Unless you are a road warrior I wouldn't make that a deciding factor.
MemorialTXAg
DrHeadShrink said:

2 smart phones used frequently online. Our IPhones are on a Verizon plan that's very reliable but the total for the 2 phones with all the taxes/fees is $163 per month

Wondering about WalMart T-Mobile or Cricket

2 iPhones and 2 lines for 160 all in per month? Isn't that normal?
lunchbox
My family also uses cricket with no real complaints. 4 lines on their unlimited plan for $100/mo.
Ag_07
AG
I'd look into GoogleFi

It's like $15 per line then data is pay as you go ($10/GB) up to 10 GB then after that's it's unlimited.

So if you use 5 GB of data that's only $50 but if you exceed 10 then you're capped at $100 with unlimited data the rest of the month.

It's typical coverage, great customer service, and straight up front easy billing with no complicated taxes and fees. The only draw back being you have to have a compatible phone (Pixel or Nexus) and those can run a pretty penny. The Pixel is a great phone but it's not cheap. I got a good deal on mine at swappa.com.

We've been on GoogleFi for over a year now and have no complaints whatsoever. It's been awesome.
drumboy
AG
Can you use an iPhone on GoogleFi? Not sure if OP wants to buy new phones.
pnut02
AG
Yes, you can bring an iPhone to Google Fi

https://fi.google.com/about/faq/#devices-2
Quote:

Can I bring other phones to the plan?
Quote:

Yes. Phones that are not designed for Fi can still get many of the benefits of the Google Fi plan. To check whether you can bring your phone, use our compatibility checker, or see a full list of compatible phones. When you sign up, you'll have the option to get a free SIM card shipped to you, or you may be able to activate your phone without one.

IrishTxAggie
AG
Once Apple is out of the beta with them, I'll be switching.
TXTransplant
ATM1876 said:

If you're happy with Verizon you can save a lot of money by switching to one of their prepaid plans. They're running a special right now that doubles your monthly data allotment, so 6 GB for $35/month and 16 GB for $45/month. Both of those plans also include free mobile hotspot. My brother's in Houston and just switched to this from Cricket and couldn't be happier, says he no longer gets dropped calls while driving.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/

I do something similar for my son - we have the AT&T pre-paid plan. He's had it for a couple of years, and I've been happy with it. The reason why we went with ATT was because they would let us bring our own phone. I can't remember if I checked Verizon, but I know Sprint will only let you use their pre-paid option if you buy one of their pre-paid phones.
sts7049
AG
i think over 6GB is unlimited now
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Was paying $153.50 total for 2 lines with 12 GB with Verizon.
Switched to Cricket today. $80 total for 2 lines with 22 GB.
With the $882 annual savings I'll pay a college athlete to water my yard this summer. I have an automatic sprinkler system so he or she can work from home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.