Houston
Sponsored by

$1.1 million house tax assessed at $30k?

3,141 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
Bassmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was at a neighborhood gathering this weekend and the topic of MCAD appraisals came up. A friend started talking about another neighbor whose house has a $1.1 million dollar appraisal value but is only assessed at $30k. Here is the link: http://mcad-tx.org/Property-Detail?PropertyQuickRefID=R483993&PartyQuickRefID=O0334018

For those of you who know about this stuff, how does this happen?
Al Bula
AG
Why don't you ask Ted Oberg?

schmendeler
AG
is this the owner's company?

https://www.landmarkindustries.com/wholesale.htm
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

For those of you who know about this stuff, how does this happen?
He has photos of people in high positions.
Bassmaster
AG
I believe so.
I Am A Critic
The owner sold his previous home at a loss and transferred that loss to his new homestead. It'll go up next year to where it should be.
JJxvi
AG
I don't think there is an explanation that fits this. I think it is an error. I looked this up at the tax office website and for 2016, 2017, 2018 they've been paying on an appraised value of over a million (about $20k in tax each year). 2015 is lower, but probably because the house (listed as 2014) was still under construction on Jan 1.

The CAD ****ed up on data entry for the 2019 value is my guess.
CDUB98
AG
only $30k
JJxvi
AG
The CAD will either fix this pretty quickly, or it will keep going until they get a bill for $250 when they expect a bill for $20k+

Then they will either call the CAD to get it fixed before it really goes off the rails, or wait until a while later and try to claim that they "had no idea why do I owe $20k more I paid my $250!"
vansprinkle
AG
Did the house burn down and the $30k is only lot value?
Bassmaster
AG
I said it was an error too. But there was a sign up in their yard about a year ago about a public hearing, but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. That's what makes me think that there is more to it.

Bassmaster
AG
Nope, didn't burn. Their lot is 2 acres, and the dirt is worth $200k plus.
JJxvi
AG
Bassmaster said:

I said it was an error too. But there was a sign up in their yard about a year ago about a public hearing, but I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. That's what makes me think that there is more to it.

That was a hearing for a replat.

https://www.mctx.org/docs/ccminutes/Minutes-2018-05-22.pdf

5/22/2018 Page 6

Quote:

FINAL PLAT APPROVED for Benders Landing Estates, Section 4 Partial Replat No. 2; 2.005 acres; R.N. Davis Survey, A-161

Im guessing that was just to combine the lots which based on the maps were probably previously recorded as Benders Landing Estates, Section 4, Block 2, Lots 8 and 9 whereas now it is Benders Landing Estates, Section 4 Partial Replat No. 2, Block 1, Lot 1.
JJxvi
AG
https://edrc.houstontx.gov/edrc/DocDefaultReports.aspx?myAppId=55854&MyURL=edrc.houstontx.gov/2017/Applications/&myNumb=/2017-1175/SubdivisionPlatPDF_071917%20PDF.pdf

Reason for amending plat: To combine two (2) single family residential lot
Bassmaster
AG
Thanks, that makes sense. Most of the lots are 1 acre and his is two. I guess he was doing that to avoid two HOA dues. So the sign was completely unrelated to the property tax issue. I'm baffled.
JSKolache
AG
Maybe cuz its in a flood hole, IDK. No way I would buy property in a development flanked by spring creek & san jac river. That's just daring mother nature to thrash you.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Snitches get stitches.
Aggiemike96
AG
My mom is on the Montgomery review board. Guess I'll ask her what gives...
Broba Fett
That sounds about right. We pay $10k on just shy of $400k
Al Bula
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

My mom is on the Montgomery review board. Guess I'll ask her what gives...
she gave me a good review last night.
Al Bula
AG
Bringing up tax rolls at a neighborhood party and posting it later on texags is the lamest whitest thing ever.
aggiebq03+
Broba Fett said:

Assessed Value /= Tax Due
TXTransplant
Broba Fett said:

$30k isn't the taxes they pay (MCAD doesn't show that number). $30k is what the CAD has valued the property for - despite the market value being $1 million+. They owe taxes on a property that has been valued/appraised at $30k.
Bassmaster
AG
Yep, you nailed it.
Bassmaster
AG
True
Bassmaster
AG
I'm not snitching. I'm trying to be like this guy, but I need to know how to do it.
I Am A Critic
Shife said:

Bringing up tax rolls at a neighborhood party and posting it later on texags is the lamest whitest thing ever.
Lamer than humble bragging that your mom is on the Montgomery County appraisal review board?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Bassmaster said:

I'm not snitching. I'm trying to be like this guy, but I need to know how to do it.

Oh. In that case. Hook us up when you figure it out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.