Houston
Sponsored by

Got cows?

2,494 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by trip
Bootstrap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who here lives in the city and has cows on land in the country?

We have 6 head (beefmaster) on 60 acres, Colorado County. The cows belong to the previous owner of the land but he wants to sell them to me at the end of the year. Typically we get out there at least one weekend a month but it can vary. My boys are 4 & 1 so not cattle hands just yet but love the cows.

I know others who have more head on more land, farther away and say once a month is fine - but for calving time when you might want to have a neighbor keeping a closer eye on things and communicate as needed.

What do other folks do? Tips, tricks, hire a high school kid? What else should I be considering?
Ragoo
AG
Do you need them Ag exemption?

Find someone whose already runs cattle, broker a sale to them, lease back grazing rights for minimal fee, keep Ag exemption. Let someone else with experience manage the 6 head.
Cyp0111
We have part time help during calving and keep them to check the place 1-2X a week. We try to get there 2 weekends a month
rancher1953
Find someone retired like myself who also has cattle that does not mind going by your place a few times each week to check on the cattle. As far as calving easy to handle use a low birth weight bull unless the cow have had calves in the past of the bull your are running and you would be fine. I would also establish a good relation ship with a local vet who is good with cattle. Also should add have good working pens that the cattle will go into without a problem. I live in Austin County right at the Colorado County line which is the San Bernard River.
BQ_90
AG
Find someone else to run cows to keep your ag exemption. Cattle aren't a cheap hobby
Bootstrap
After talking to some people, I think I may try to set it up as a shared situation with someone local that can look after them. Split the cost of the cows (70/30??) and as such the sale of the calves.

Any experience here with deals like this?
Diggity
AG
Wagyu or Kobe?
rancher1953
I would walk away from that type of deal. But of course there is always one fool that would take it.
Cyp0111
That doesn't sound ideal. Either lease it out or have someone local help
lexofer
AG
Get a wildlife exemption if you're just doing it for tax purposes. It's a lot less work and you can meet the requirements on your schedule.

My brother has a decent size cattle operation and he checks them all a lot more than once a month, at least weekly and he has around 8 different leases spread out. If they're on well fed water troughs he checks them daily during the summer. He says you can lose them all if they run out of water on a hot day. Last year he put cellular game cameras on his water troughs at the leases further out so he can check without driving out there daily.
Bootstrap
Ag exemption (and profitable investment) is not the reason I want the cows. We have donkeys out there and could cut hay if no animals.

I just have always wanted cows. I have experience working them from high school but no experience owning or managing them.

Damn day job gets in the way of me losing money the way my heart desires.
trip
AG
I have a local guy watch ours
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.