Houston
Sponsored by

Centerpoint rate hike

3,544 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ciboag96
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
On April 5, 2019 CenterPoint Energy Houston Electric filed an application to change rates with the City of Houston for customers within city limits. CenterPoint also filed a similar application with each city within the Company's service area and with the Public Utility Commission for customers within unincorporated areas.

A public meeting regarding the CenterPoint proposed electric rate change will be held Wednesday, May 29, 2019 at 6:00pm, in the City Hall Annex, Public Level 900 Bagby, Houston, TX 77002. The purpose of the Public Meeting is to provide Houston CenterPoint customers with an opportunity to comment on the Company's electric customer service and proposed rate change.

If you are unable to attend the meeting, you may submit comments to: Alisa Talley, Division Manager, Administration and Regulatory Affairs, 611 Walker, 13th Floor, Houston, TX 77002 or alisa.talley@houstontx.gov.

More about CenterPoint's Electric Rate Change Request. CenterPoint is proposing to increase retail electric customer rates by approximately $186.6 million. CenterPoint, is also proposing, through a separate TCJA (TAX Cut and Jobs Act) Rider, to return approximately $97 million to customers over a three-year period. The TCJA Rider reduces the Company's request by approximately $32.4 million to $154.2 million annually for a three-year period. After the three-year period, the TCJA Rider expires, and retail customers will pay the full $186.6 million increase. If CenterPoint's proposed rates are adopted, the average residential customer using 1,000 kWh per month would experience an approximate 1.91% increase $2.50 per month for the first three years, assuming an existing retail rate of $0.125 per kWh. Similar data is not immediately available for the years after the TCJA Rider expires but will be requested from CenterPoint. A complete copy of CenterPoint's filed Application is available for review upon request with the City Secretary's Office.

For more information, please contact Alisa Talley at a]alisa.talley@houstontx.gov or 832.393.8531.

I don't care if their costs went up. I don't want to pay no mo.
7nine
SnowboardAg
AG
I've heard El Paso has better rates to help you
redag06
They haven't had a rate increase in close to 10 years.

It's something like a 2.68 increase per 1000kva used, what are you an lol poor ?
redag06
Dp
Dr. Doctor
AG
I wouldn't mind if they actually kept up the upkeep.

In Kingwood, any sort of rain and wind and our power goes out. I can walk the sidewalks and see trees and vines touching everything. During Harvey we didn't have power for 3 days due to their poor management of transformers and power lines.

~egon
Texan_Aggie
AG
Yall ever notice the people getting mad about things are the same people who always get mad about things?
IrishTxAggie
AG
Energy Ogre and then put the energy bill on ignore.
aTm2004
AG
Dr. Doctor said:

I wouldn't mind if they actually kept up the upkeep.

In Kingwood, any sort of rain and wind and our power goes out. I can walk the sidewalks and see trees and vines touching everything. During Harvey we didn't have power for 3 days due to their poor management of transformers and power lines.

~egon

Which is why I have a 20k kw whole home generator.
Post removed:
by user
IrishTxAggie
AG
They've switched mine up maybe 5-6 times in two years and my bills have never been anywhere near what I had before. I'm happy with it.
Post removed:
by user
sts7049
AG
it's only garbage if there are actually cheaper plans they should have switched you to

if that is the case then yes you have a gripe. but the idea is they'll change even if the cancelation works out cheaper
Post removed:
by user
sts7049
AG
that's fair. the monthly charges are meant to cover their cost of monitoring and checking if you truly are on the best plan, for those who don't want to do the work themselves. I'm sure the system isn't perfect
2nd Generation Ag
Third Coast I work for Energy Ogre. Do understand what we do? We are technology company that helps the consumer procure , optimize and manage the electricity for their home. We were the first online platform to help the consumer buy electricity at the lowest possible cost. Just so you know we have all of the rates from Power to Choose in our system. Plus we have rates for our customers that are lower than what can be found on Power to Choose. Many times we put you in a 12 month plan for strategic reasons . We understand current market conditions and future market conditions. Over the last couple of years prices have been on the rise due to supply concerns because Texas is growing at a fast pace.

Third Coast PM your name and let me look at your account and take you through the logic. Gigem!
2nd Generation Ag
Third coast one more thought . Sometimes there can be shorter term plans that are marginally cheaper but when you come out of contract you will pay a higher price. So the savings long term is better in a 12 month plan than the gains you achieved in the 6 month plan and then pay significantly higher in the next six months. Believe me our technology is way ahead of anything a consumer can do on their own. Gigem
Post removed:
by user
Truvada_for_prep
Must suck to be poor and have to use Energy Ogre.
Your Friend
Just in time

IrishTxAggie
AG
Truvada_for_prep said:

Must suck to be poor and have to use Energy Ogre.

When did using a service to save you money add you to the lolpoor category?
Post removed:
by user
cajunaggie08
AG
IrishTxAggie said:

Centerpoint is owner of all the lines for the majority of the houston area. It doenst matter what energy provider you pick, we are all stuck with centerpoint's rate hike.
IrishTxAggie
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

IrishTxAggie said:

Centerpoint is owner of all the lines for the majority of the houston area. It doenst matter what energy provider you pick, we are all stick with centerpoint's rate hike.

I understand that. But there's nothing I can do about Centerpoint raising prices. I can however have my direct supplier changed up if they raise the prices. *****ing about Centerpoint won't get anything done. They're a monopoly essentially.
Truvada_for_prep
Increase held off until Sept rest easy poors.
CDUB98
AG
Soooo, it's a good thing I locked in my last week for the next three years....right?

$0.11/kWhr

Or, had badly did I screw myself?
aTm2004
AG
CDUB98 said:

Soooo, it's a good thing I locked in my last week for the next three years....right?

$0.11/kWhr

Or, had badly did I screw myself?

Locked mine in for $0.099/kWhr for 12 months. That's across all usage and all-in (no separate TDU charge) through Our Enery. I called to confirm as it seemed too good to be true. Ran that rate off of my average usage the past 12 months (along with what I was paying per kWhr, and will save about $300 annually. Nothing on Powertochoose or the like could touch it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
You'll never find the cheapest plans on Power to Choose.
aTm2004
AG
Yeah, I learned that last year but gave it another shot when renewal came up. I found other sites as well that do the same thing, and what I was offered as a renewal was too good.
CDUB98
AG
$0.11/kWhr was the cheapest on powertochoose at the time.
2nd Generation Ag
You go always do a market check in our website. Go to www.energyogre.com and hit the savings tab at the top. Our savings calculator will come up. Take one of your recent bills and input some data from the bill. Amount due, kw used due date and zip code. It will instantaneously shop every plan and show you the top 10 plans that will save you money. This will give you an idea of where you stand in the current market .
Ducks4brkfast
AG
2nd Generation Ag said:

You go always do a market check in our website. Go to www.energyogre.com and hit the savings tab at the top. Our savings calculator will come up. Take one of your recent bills and input some data from the bill. Amount due, kw used due date and zip code. It will instantaneously shop every plan and show you the top 10 plans that will save you money. This will give you an idea of where you stand in the current market .

Quote:

Quote:

You chose your last plan wisely so we are not able to save you any money right now, however...
Electricity prices have been on the rise. You may find it very difficult to find a similar plan this time around. If you choose to look on your own, your goal is to get an "all-in" effective rate of 8.5 or less (watch out for hidden fees).
If you don't have the time or the knowledge, we suggest you give us a try as we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. What do you have to lose?

2nd Generation Ag
Hey we work for the consumer. If we can't save you we let you know. Roughly 90% overpay. 10% do pretty good. Sounds like you are good. Congrats
Ducks4brkfast
AG
My post was a bit misleading.

Ogre got me into my current plan.

And I don't expect to beat it when I renew.
Woods Ag
AG
Energy Ogre has me in a rate of $.075/kwhr at the moment.

Get ya some!
Ciboag96
At least when you call Centerpoint it only takes 30 minutes to speak to a live human
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.