Houston
Sponsored by

Wagyu Steaks (Raw, Butcher) around Houston

10,428 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Chewy
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been wanting to try Wagyu for a long time and need to finally get around to doing something about it. I live in College Station and there's obviously no place to get it here - I know I could order it online but the shipping kills unless you're ordering $500 worth of meat (maybe eventually, but I'd like to give it a try first without committing to that much of the stuff) and I do like to see my steaks before purchasing when possible.

I'll be heading to Lake Charles on Friday and coming back Saturday. Does anyone know of a good butcher in Houston that sells Wagyu? I would like to try purebred kobe-style Wagyu first - I'm imagining that American Wagyu will be more to my liking ulimately, but for this first experience I would like to go all the way.

Marauder Blue 6
AG
B&B Butchers
Stephen12684
AG
Lucky!
HEB has wagyu briskets on sale this week. Only $5.99/lb.
lb sand
AG
The HEB at I-10 Bunker Hill has them all the time. I would also guess that the HEB on 290 at Barker Cypress does as well.
TheOC16
AG
I saw that! Not really interested in Wagyu brisket (I'm a little burned out from smoking them twice a week for the past two months for business meetings), but it would be interesting to try.
Texaggie7nine
Marauder Blue 6 said:

B&B Butchers
This
7nine
thenational
AG
This place sells Wagyu steaks. 59/Shepherd

https://texasstargrillshop.com/
terradactylexpress
Remember friends, wagyu =\= kobe
94chem
Do you just eat it tartar like bluefin?
AggieSam02
AG
Try Smittys in tomball area.
BSD
AG
Another vote for B&B. I think they actually have Kobe sometimes.
Rexter
Check out this company.

https://www.dukespremiummeats.com/home/
GE
AG
The nicer HEBs quite often have actual Kobe beef
FHKChE07
AG
FYI, Kobe is not a protected term outside of Japan, and very little actual Kobe beef gets exported from Japan so anything labeled as Kobe in the US is likely not.
TheOC16
AG
FHKChE07 said:

FYI, Kobe is not a protected term outside of Japan, and very little actual Kobe beef gets exported from Japan so anything labeled as Kobe in the US is likely not.

Exactly. Most everything here labeled Kobe is not Japanese standard Kobe, it's "Kobe-style" and they can call it whatever they want here because we don't have the laws they do. I do not know how much actual Japanese Kobe would cost here, but it would be A LOT. Wouldn't shock me if it was close to $200/lb for ribeye.

I just want something with a disgusting amount of marbling - Japanese marbling score 5 at least. Which you can certainly get with Wagyu cattle raised in the US.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately it looks like I probably won't be going through Houston this weekend after all, but I'm going to research all these places for future consideration.
BSD
AG
GE said:

No they don't.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
BSD said:

GE said:

No they don't.
the website says otherwise
TheOC16
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

BSD said:

GE said:

No they don't.
Depends on what your definition of "actual Kobe" means. If you mean actual Japanese Kobe then it most certainly is not actual Kobe since it says American right there in the title. If you mean Kobe because the term Kobe in this country means nothing and can be applied to anything, then yeah it's actual Kobe.
NorthHollywoodHenry
AG
TheOC16 said:

BSD said:

GE said:

No they don't.
Depends on what your definition of "actual Kobe" means. If you mean actual Japanese Kobe then it most certainly is not actual Kobe since it says American right there in the title. If you mean Kobe because the term Kobe in this country means nothing and can be applied to anything, then yeah it's actual Kobe.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Did some research on this issue a while back ...

Kobe beef is one of those things that means a very specific thing. Over the years the term has gotten so widespread its now common usage and people overlook the difference.

Store brand cola for example. If you order a Coke and someone hands you a Big K Cola, its fine, but its not a Coca-Cola. You can casually say you are drinking coke and people will know what you are talking about but also know you aren't really drinking 'Coke.'

Champagne is another example. The French get all bent out of shape for calling champagne like drink 'Champagne' when its not from that region and made in traditional methods, from a certain vineyard etc. Same thing applies to cheese, liquor all kinds of specialty products.

Like another poster above said, you can use the term Kobe beef in America without repercussion. Some burger joint somewhere can have Kobe sliders on the menu ... but its not 'Kobe' beef. It may be the Kobe like beef, but essentially its the Big K Cola version of Kobe beef.

Same thing if you go somewhere that is outside of the southern US and they advertise 'Texas Style' BBQ, you eat it and decide this aint texas style and I'm not even sure this is considered BBQ. Same kinda deal.

If you are eating in the US and something is marketed as Kobe beef, 99.999% chance its 'kobe like' beef and not Kobe beef.

To eat real Kobe you pretty much have to go to Kobe in Japan.

So if you go to Japan and you like meat, go to Kobe and eat some Kobe beef, you wont regret it and you will understand what the fuss is about. Same thing applies to sushi, particularly tuna.

This also applies to everything else in the world that was invented somewhere and has gained mass market appeal.

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Did some research on this issue a while back ...

Kobe beef is one of those things that means a very specific thing. Over the years the term has gotten so widespread its now common usage and people overlook the difference.

Store brand cola for example. If you order a Coke and someone hands you a Big K Cola, its fine, but its not a Coca-Cola. You can casually say you are drinking coke and people will know what you are talking about but also know you aren't really drinking 'Coke.'

Champagne is another example. The French get all bent out of shape for calling champagne like drink 'Champagne' when its not from that region and made in traditional methods, from a certain vineyard etc. Same thing applies to cheese, liquor all kinds of specialty products.

Like another poster above said, you can use the term Kobe beef in America without repercussion. Some burger joint somewhere can have Kobe sliders on the menu ... but its not 'Kobe' beef. It may be the Kobe like beef, but essentially its the Big K Cola version of Kobe beef.

Same thing if you go somewhere that is outside of the southern US and they advertise 'Texas Style' BBQ, you eat it and decide this aint texas style and I'm not even sure this is considered BBQ. Same kinda deal.

If you are eating in the US and something is marketed as Kobe beef, 99.999% chance its 'kobe like' beef and not Kobe beef.

To eat real Kobe you pretty much have to go to Kobe in Japan.

So if you go to Japan and you like meat, go to Kobe and eat some Kobe beef, you wont regret it and you will understand what the fuss is about. Same thing applies to sushi, particularly tuna.

This also applies to everything else in the world that was invented somewhere and has gained mass market appeal.

So where do kolaches fit into this paradigm?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Very volatile question right there.
BSD
AG
As several others have made clear, HEB Kobe =/= actual Kobe from Japan. Few places carry that other than restaurants. I've only seen it once outside of a restaurant.

BSD said:

Another vote for B&B. I think they actually have Kobe sometimes.

I stand by this.
94chem

Meat or fruit-filled?
Stat Monitor Repairman
This is a YouTube video causing hajis to riot in Benghazi kind of controversial.
FHKChE07
AG
Also, the big thing about American kobe beef is that they specifically change the beef to make it more palatable for the american audience. It isn't like they just bring the cows over here and raise it in america.
TheOC16
AG
FHKChE07 said:

Also, the big thing about American kobe beef is that they specifically change the beef to make it more palatable for the american audience. It isn't like they just bring the cows over here and raise it in america.
That's not correct. There are quite a few breeders right here in Texas who do just that - bring purebred Wagyu animals over here and breed them for beef production. But yes, there are quite a few who will cross a Wagyu with an American breed (often times Angus) to get what they call "American Wagyu" which as you surmised is typically more suitable to American beef desires.

The purebred Wagyu with 7+ marbling scores is so fatty that most people don't want to chow down on it like your typical steak - in Japan they serve it sliced very thin and people don't eat 16 oz in a meal. So they American Wagyu is kind of a middle ground for people who want an exceptionally marbled cut of beef that they can still eat as a thick steak cut.

...or so YouTube has told me...
Stat Monitor Repairman
You make a good point.

It's not only about the breed of cattle or superior genetics, its also the climate that the cattle are raised in and what they are fed, the air they breathe, water they drink and all other enviornmental factors.

Its the same reason you cant bring back some grape vines from Tuscany, plant them in Bryan, TX and expect to have some world class Chianti in a couple of years. It just don't work like that.
stevopike
AG
found this

http://www.aggielandwagyu.com/

Boo Weekley

So where do kolaches fit into this paradigm?
All I can say is that the best and most authentic sausage, cheese and jalapeno kolaches I have ever had were at Buccee's near Luling.
tfunk02
AG
B&B has real official Kobe beef. They are 1 of 9 places in the US, and it's around $220 for 4oz.

https://bbbutchers.com/about-us/our-kobe-beef/
JSKolache
AG
94chem said:

Meat or fruit-filled?
Jalapeno Sausage
Dirty Mike and the Boys
AG
Had a B&B Japanese Wagyu Ribeye last week, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Never been much of a food snob, but ****in A it was legit.
jh0400
AG
tfunk02 said:

B&B has real official Kobe beef. They are 1 of 9 places in the US, and it's around $220 for 4oz.

https://bbbutchers.com/about-us/our-kobe-beef/

The Kagoshima Perfecture tenderloin that they cook on a salt block tableside is one of the best things I've ever eaten. The flavor was great, but the texture was closer to foie gras than it was a traditional steak.
TheOC16
AG
Dirty Mike and the Boys said:

Had a B&B Japanese Wagyu Ribeye last week, and I've been thinking about it ever since. Never been much of a food snob, but ****in A it was legit.

Nice! Ate in the restaurant or you bought from the butcher and cooked yourself?

I fancy myself a pretty dang good steak chef, but I'd be pretty nervous cooking an $800 piece of meat.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.