Houston
Sponsored by

Prop B Unconstitutional

8,399 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by I Am A Critic
Clever&FunnyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rubicante said:

When all is said and done much more resources will have been spent on this debacle than it would have been to pay the firefighters.

One good thing is that maybe the average Houston low intelligence voter might rub two brain cells together before voting on propositions, but I have my doubts.
How is this so? Legal fees are one-time costs; albeit expensive. The costs of the unfunded raise for the firefighters would run into perpetuity.

aTm2004
AG
BMX Bandit
the firm hired by the firefighters that wanted it ruled constitutional gave her twice as much. Money well spent.
KDubAg
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Tthe firm hired by the firefighters that wanted it ruled constitutional gave her twice as much. Money well spent.
Check the dates. FFs gave her money before she was involved in the case. HPD gave her money in Feb when she was involved in the case.

..but still, yea.
htownag10
AG
Pay parity not contract parity. That's what was voted on. Educational requirements for positions do not apply at all for promotions. They were only for incentive pay. Quit with the "oh well their education requirements don't match for promotion"
htownag10
AG
Judge Randy Wilson sat on the bench for 8 years and ruled it constitutional and then a 4 month rookie judge ruled it unconstitutional.... hmmmm
The Wonderer
AG
aTm2004 said:

Whoa, you're telling me two democrats where at the same democratic fundraising event?

Shocker.
lne2011
AG
Here's an easy person to layoff:

https://abc13.com/5316219/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5ce92076c3070b0001dc9717&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook
Guitarsoup
AG
lne2011 said:

https://abc13.com/5316219/?ex_cid=TA_KTRK_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5ce92076c3070b0001dc9717&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

He distributed videos of a 5 year old giving a blow job. No punishment in the us Justice system is harsh enough.
lne2011
AG
Guitarsoup said:

lne2011 said:

He distributed videos of a 5 year old giving a blow job. No punishment in the us Justice system is harsh enough.

Unfortunately Ogg will probably decline to press charges and recommend that he be promoted.
buda91
AG
LostInLA07
AG
What are your thoughts on the ruling?
LondonAg89
AG
Are any of you LinkedIn with Buzbee! He's got some good stuff going on there with Sly's trip to China and other things. I'm ready to vote him in!
aTm2004
AG
FF's union just can't help but to trip over themselves. The one guy who has a legit shot at winning, has been an open advocate for HFD, and has called out Turner the entire time gets jilted

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-firefighters-union-endorses-Boykins-13951418.php
Guitarsoup
AG
Hard to believe a Union would support a Democrat.
LostInLA07
AG
Oh you think union leadership cares about their members
KDubAg
AG
I like to see it as a chess move. I believe Boykins doesn't have a chance of winning but this does hurt Turner more. I think this move will take Turner out of the run off. Most FFs I know are leaning Buzbee and King.

I can see why they endorsed Boykins though. He grew up in station 46s district and always went to the fire station growing up. Before Prop B he has given tens of thousands of dollars of fire fighting equipment from his council fund to that district bc city wouldn't. He's done several ride alongs with the crews on the engine and ambulances. I think he's even stayed all 24 hrs (I think). He's pretty much the only council member that has stood up to the mayor during the meetings.

I'd rather keep him on the council than have him as a mayor.

I like the guy but he's not the one I'm voting for.
YellAg2004
AG
aTm2004 said:

FF's union just can't help but to trip over themselves. The one guy who has a legit shot at winning, has been an open advocate for HFD, and has called out Turner the entire time gets jilted

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Houston-firefighters-union-endorses-Boykins-13951418.php
This is why I have a really hard time feeling any sympathy for the FFs. They made their bed in 2015 and then were shocked when their democrat crony couldn't overcome the simple math of their problem.

If all the firefighters are supporting Buzbee or King, why doesn't the membership stand up and make a change to the union leadership to reflect their wishes?
aTm2004
AG
YellAg2004 said:

aTm2004 said:

This is why I have a really hard time feeling any sympathy for the FFs. They made their bed in 2015 and then were shocked when their democrat crony couldn't overcome the simple math of their problem.

If all the firefighters are supporting Buzbee or King, why doesn't the membership stand up and make a change to the union leadership to reflect their wishes?
This is what I'm wondering as well. I'm guessing the union knows the FF's are going for Buzbee but the union knows they won't have that "you owe us for our endorsement" card down the road. This could also be a play that KDub alluded to in that it hurts Turner by keeping another candidate in the race that will pull votes from him. Votes that most likely wouldn't go to Buzbee under any condition.

My uncle has been in HFD for over 30 years and is voting Buzbee, my daughter's friend's dad is with HFD and he and his wife are voting Buzbee, and my cousin who is a FF for a neighboring city but lives in Houston city limits is voting Buzbee along with his wife.
KDubAg
AG
Buzbee is on record stating he is not accepting donations or endorsements, so the fire union "endorsing" Buzbee would be a wash. The union would probably never endorse King bc he is still an advocate of changing the retirement plans for all city workers. So next in line would be Boykins. Buzbee supports fire no matter who fire endorses.

From Buzbee facebook...

"I have been asked about my "reaction" to the Firefighter's Union endorsing Council Member Boykins. I have continually stated that I am not seeking campaign donations or actively seeking political endorsements. Our campaign does not rely on donations or endorsements to win. That has never been part of our strategy. We will win!! And, importantly, I will continue to support the firefighters regardless of the endorsement. Our campaign has visited over 45 fire stations in Houston and we have really enjoyed getting to know our first responders. I will continue to be their fiercest and most effective advocate. Although this certainly will weaken Sylvester Turner's chances to even make a runoff, this won't impact our campaign. I'm still behind our firefighters!!"
ChipFTAC01
AG
I didn't realize Boykins was even running. I just googled the race to see if there's anyone else other than Buzbee, King and Turner and apparently Booker T is running as well.
flown-the-coop
AG
KDubAg said:

Buzbee is on record stating he is not accepting donations or endorsements, so the fire union "endorsing" Buzbee would be a wash. The union would probably never endorse King bc he is still an advocate of changing the retirement plans for all city workers. So next in line would be Boykins. Buzbee supports fire no matter who fire endorses.

From Buzbee facebook...

"I have been asked about my "reaction" to the Firefighter's Union endorsing Council Member Boykins. I have continually stated that I am not seeking campaign donations or actively seeking political endorsements. Our campaign does not rely on donations or endorsements to win. That has never been part of our strategy. We will win!! And, importantly, I will continue to support the firefighters regardless of the endorsement. Our campaign has visited over 45 fire stations in Houston and we have really enjoyed getting to know our first responders. I will continue to be their fiercest and most effective advocate. Although this certainly will weaken Sylvester Turner's chances to even make a runoff, this won't impact our campaign. I'm still behind our firefighters!!"
Buzbee supports Buzbee and no one else. His only interest is Buzbee. He wants to be mayor of Buzbee town and have Buzbee galas so he can be Governor Buzbee of the State of Buzbee.
Texaggie7nine
flown-the-coop said:

KDubAg said:

From Buzbee facebook...

Buzbee supports Buzbee and no one else. His only interest is Buzbee. He wants to be mayor of Buzbee town and have Buzbee galas so he can be Governor Buzbee of the State of Buzbee.
Last time I didn't vote for someone because of those same reasons, I regretted it.
7nine
P.H. Dexippus
AG
What's everyone's objection to King?
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Liquid Wrench
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

What's everyone's objection to King?
Go to one of his candidate forums and listen to him answer questions. It's kind of like listening to my dad pontificate when he takes an occasional interest in politics in between Astros trade talk. Nice guy, but....

More serious issue is that he was a partner at Linebarger when they were building up their gov't collections business, and it just comes across as a little disingenuous when he talks about ending pay-to-play. He was the ultimate insider for a long time, and it was somewhat poor timing when he decided to go all-out "Republican."

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
flown-the-coop said:

KDubAg said:

From Buzbee facebook...

that is what I like about Buzbee.
Guitarsoup
AG
Turner demanding that Firefighters return the extra money they received in raises back to the city.

https://ktrh.iheart.com/featured/the-pursuit-of-happiness/content/2019-06-13-houston-mayor-turner-demands-firefighters-repay-the-city-their-raises/?sc=editorial&keyid=KTRH&pname=local_social&fbclid=IwAR04jf1ZbA1BnSFHix0NNkrnbXELq9jnemOU9H_q3oj2MEEDfjRAtpUn6Ic
aTm2004
AG
I Am A Critic
aTm2004 said:

Someone in Alief pulled a gun on someone. Shocking.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.