Houston
Sponsored by

Nanny needed - how did you find yours?

2,666 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MemorialTXAg
CLB2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our twin girls (2mo) will need a nanny for 3/4 days a week starting in mid June.
For those that have nannies for their kids, where/how did you locate them?
Martin Q. Blank

Then gauge reaction.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Honestly, we got super lucky. Our nanny was my old boss's family nanny. At the time we had a need, his kids were 14 and 10 and his wife was staying at home full time. They still weren't willing to fire her or just let her go until they found a new family they believed would be a good "fit."
Al Bula
AG
Too poor to afford an au pair?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Au pairs generally work on different time rules and require room/board. All told, the all in cost is similar but a regular nanny is usually more flexible in terms of hours.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I advertised the position in an impoverished country. When I got an eager candidate to come over here I immediately took her passport and locked it in my safe. She now cares for my kids for rock bottom pricing and doesn't alert the authorities to her poor treatment for fear of retribution on her family back in her home land. Once my kids are old enough to not need her care I will have her begin working on a giant soccer stadium that kind of looks like a vagina.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I thought this is what in-laws were for
SheAggie04
AG
we host au pairs, and i actually find the opposite to be true. a lot of nannies expect a minimum of 40 hours a week (M-F) and don't like to work a split schedule.

the main limitation on AP hours is that they can only work up to 10 hours a day and 45 hours a week. they have to have 1.5 days off per week. other than that, you can schedule them however you want. obviously it's not the right solution for everyone, but it's pretty sweet for us! (and side note, we pay less for an au pair than we would for a nanny, even when you consider the extra food, a third car, insurance, etc.)
SheAggie04
AG
to answer your question, OP, there's a pretty good group on facebook called "Memorial Area Nannies/Babysitters/Caregivers". It's not limited to the Memorial area. We interviewed several really good candidates from there, but ultimately decided to go with an au pair.
Diggity
AG
If it's anything like Memorial Area Trading, I would imagine it's a contest to see who claims to pay their nanny the most and/or offers the best benefits.

"six weeks vacation? what are you, a slave driver!"
Jock 07
AG
CLB2008 said:

where/how did you locate them?
the nanny section in the home depot parking lot
lexofer
AG
Jock 07 said:

CLB2008 said:

My brother was mad when his kid started speaking Spanish before he did English, but his nanny did only charge $10 a day.
Diggity
AG
$10/day?
ccolley68
AG
Live-in help and/or full time nannies, all y'all win the mega-millions together?
lexofer
AG
Diggity said:

$10/day?
She was watching her grandkids at the same time. Still kind of ridiculous but not insane.
Diggity
AG
that would be insane in Houston if they're being watched for any length of time.
DiskoTroop
My wife is a nanny and needing a new gig. Her little girl she nannies is going to school.

Actually hooked her up with the parents via texags... email me. Email in profile.
Diggity
AG
Will she match the $10/day quoted above?
DiskoTroop
Not hardly! And I can't guarantee her reaction to the junk in the box test won't be laughter either...
ElCheAg
AG
From my limited experience, Thai au pairs are stimulating.
htxag09
AG
Didn't someone in here catch their nanny beating their kid? I bet she's available...
Diggity
AG
I mean... for $10/day, what do you expect?
wessimo
AG
Over the years we have hired several nannies Care.com and had decent luck. Be thorough with interviews and always check references.
randy828
AG

https://www.aupair.com/
Cibalo
tinder
little blue
Similar to the Memorial Area one, there's a babysitting/nanny group in the Heights called Heights Sitters & Nannies. Even if you don't live in the Heights, you can post in there for what you're looking for and I'm sure you would find one. I know people also post in there looking for families to nanny-share with too if you're looking to go that route.
AgCPA95
AG
wessimo said:

Over the years we have hired several nannies Care.com and had decent luck. Be thorough with interviews and always check references.
Had luck with care.com as well. Found a couple of summer nanny's - just searched with a close radius of our house and found someone to do the long/full days of running kids to pool, local camps, and other planned outings when our kids were younger. Both were local grads home from A&M after their freshman year.
Aggiemike96
AG
If you're prepared to sponsor permanent residency, up to and including marriage, I guarantee you'll have your pickins for far less than $10/day.
Diggity
AG
I think they outlawed indentured servitude a while back
IDaggie06
AG
There's a charter flight that heads to mexico once a month for you to select your new nanny and bring her back with you. Email me if you want the details and costs.
Al Bula
AG
IDaggie06 said:

There's a charter flight that heads to mexico once a month for you to select your new nanny and bring her back with you. Email me if you want the details and costs.
id very much like the details so I can forward it to ICE.
CalTex
We are the parents that Phideaux mentioned. We actually called Mrs Phideaux back for a second round of care (when we pulled our daughter out of her 1st daycare) so, yes I do recommend Mrs Phideaux.
RK
AG
Jock 07 said:

CLB2008 said:

"i need one! just one! nanny and drywall!"
MemorialTXAg
Shife said:

Too poor to afford an au pair?

Too poor to not force your wife to go back to work 2 months after giving birth.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.