Houston
Sponsored by

Houston Ship Channel

7,390 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Post removed:
by user
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my understanding is that the Houston Pilots get paid on a per-voyage basis, right? So when they head out to bring another vessel in, they tend to pretty much gun it and get up the channel as fast as possible.

I remember the MV MISS SUSAN barge wreck a few years back. I think the ship headed in to port on that one was doing close to 14 knots.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Your point is well taken re the complications of being a pilot.

Just out of curiosity (sorry for the derail), how do you actually get on with one of the pilot associations? I understand you've got a lot of sea time as an officer, but I have no idea how long you have to be in the business to get time as a 3rd, 2d, 1st officer and eventually as a master. And I absolutely have no idea how long it takes to go from being a master to getting on as a pilot.

I understand that the pilots make a nice living, too.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
So your applications are completed and they just sit in the hopper until they finally decide that they need you and you're at the top of the list?

Sounds crazy/almost like a lottery.

I recall seeing some of our inland towing clients' hiring packets for captain/relief captain/pilot positions and some of the requirements to be considered were really specific (i.e. had to have piloted specific ICW turns X number of times going each direction with loads, empties, etc.

Any idea which pilots association might call you first? And is that a situation where once you get the call, you go and it sticks? How long do you expect it to take?

Sorry to pepper you with questions, it's just really interesting to me.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Yeah, what TC said above is the way it is.

14kts is about what I would expect for a deep draft transiting that area of the channel.

There is a sweet spot when it comes to speed and maneuverability for every hull. Generally the ships are spaced out like aircraft. Typically ships don't overtake each other in the channel unless there is a big problem.

That little jog in the channel at Bayport is the issue. It's just a real bad spot, if you miss the turn by a few seconds with some barges strung out, things go south pretty quick.
Fall92
AG
blindey said:

Just out of curiosity (sorry for the derail), how do you actually get on with one of the pilot associations? I understand you've got a lot of sea time as an officer, but I have no idea how long you have to be in the business to get time as a 3rd, 2d, 1st officer and eventually as a master. And I absolutely have no idea how long it takes to go from being a master to getting on as a pilot.

In addition to be qualified, my appreciation is it's still very much who you know.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
txags92
AG
Fall92 said:

blindey said:

In addition to be qualified, my appreciation is it's still very much who you know.
Bingo. I was just about to post this in response to what was said above. My understanding is that once your application is in and accepted and you are in the pool...you still need to know somebody to have a realistic shot at being picked...at least that is the way I understand Houston to work.
Post removed:
by user
Ag81Golf
Third Coast help me out here. In looking at the AIS it appears that the SW Oak was clipping along at 14.7 mph and swung a little to the Nw at the difficult turn previously mentioned. It appears the Genesis may have jogged a little starboard at the same time and perhaps over corrected. Not sure if the Oak was pushing barges or not.

The Voyager appears to have jogged to the NE to give way to the Genesis then did a sharp turn to the WNW perhaps thinking the Genesis would not be able to get back on course.

My question is would the Pilot aboard the Genesis have been in radio contact with the barge and if so would they coordinate the movements?

Post removed:
by user
Ag81Golf
Understandable why you wouldn't comment. Perhaps others may.

Hope your golf game is good and glad you guys are all settled in to our community!
Stat Monitor Repairman
Ag81Golf said:

My question is would the Pilot aboard the Genesis have been in radio contact with the barge and if so would they coordinate the movements?

Yes, generally, but not always.

The deep draft vessel was a 700+ ft LPG tanker with a Houston Pilot onboard. Sometimes the pilot will initiate contact with the towboat or vice versa to discuss a passing agreement, or simply to clarify what the other intends to do.

All of the radio traffic between these two vessels is captured and archived by the USCG. So whatever was said between the pilot and the towboat, you are gonna have a audio recording of it. So yeah, its possible that there was communication between both vessels at one point but its probably not going to be the case that it was play by play or there was much substantive conversation going on. Whatever they agreed to do as far as passing was concerned, obviously didn't happen as agreed.

Also, there is typically a lot of cross traffic going on because all vessels in the lower HSC are gonna be on the same channel. Typically, once a passing arrangement is made, theres not a whole lot of back and forth as both captains are trying to keep focused on piloting their own vessel.

In this situation the tanker was outbound so there is not much it can do other than stay in the channel, and not hit something. The tanker can slow down or speed up (to an extent) to adjust the timing of when it passes another vessel but as far a steering its way out of a situation .... thats not really possible due to the width of the channel (530 ft) and the amount of time it takes to slow down or speed up a 700ft tanker by any significant margin.

The barge has a lot more leeway when it comes to what it can do. The towboat and barges aren't as constrained by its draft so it had the option to hang back in a barge lane well outside the main channel or in the vicinity of the 'Y' at Bayport until the traffic clears.

Also, one of the reasons that that area where the collision occurred is due to hydrodynamic forces at play. The way the channel is cut in that area can (and has) caused problems before. In that area you have a 40ft channel in the middle of mudflats that are 2-3ft deep. You also have an intersecting channel coming from Bayport that is dredged out to a 'Y' so vessels can turn in and out in to the HSC. In short, it causes weird **** to happen when it comes to steering and maneuverability of a vessel. I guess it would be comparable to steering on ice or snow. You might be fine going in a straight line but the moment you try to change direction the vehicle just doesn't respond like you are use to.

We dont really know the facts of what happened here, but based on the photos, is obvious that the towboat got its barges crossways and in such a situation where it got T-boned by a 700ft tanker. Theres not really any other way to look at it IMO.

Like I said, the tankers options was to stay in the channel go straight and thats about it.

All things considered, the tanker hitting the barge at a 90 degree angle probably prevented a much much worse disaster. The last thing you want is the hull of a tanker getting ripped open from running over a barge at a bad angle ... which has happened before on several occasions.

As an analogy as to size, mass and maneuverability ... the tanker was a mile long freight train and the tow and barges are an 18-wheeler.

If an 18-wheeler gets T-boned by a freight train ... well ... theres not much you can really say about it. Theres only so much a freight train can do, and stopping or turning, ain't really a realistic option.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.