Houston
Sponsored by

Got on the Rodeo metro rail today. Had to evacuate, because someone had puked

11,079 Views | 110 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chimpanzee
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmendeler said:

gindaloon said:

Where does the money come from to incentivize these companies? More taxes?
in my hypothetical the money spent on increasing capacity of infrastructure could potentially be redirected. also, I don't envision the incentives being permanent. I think most companies would see the benefit of employees that are a little more willing to sign on a few minutes early or a few minutes later when they don't have an hour or so commute home in front of them.

Yep. If anything good came from Harvey, it's my company's stance on WFH. They allowed many of us to do it while the waters were receding and the storm passed, and they actually saw productivity increase. So much so that they rolled it out the next quarter.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
chimpanzee said:

Panama Red said:

Let's cut out the middle man. Have government pay people directly to live close to their jobs so they aren't schlepping it across town.
I think we just circled back around to UBI. My personal pet idea is to set up welfare colonies with all services provided and unlimited access to intoxicating substances within their heavily fortified walls.
So basically a Mexican prison?
drumboy
AG
chimpanzee said:

NYC subways and San Francisco buses are ghastly expensive, heavily utilized horrible places to be.

NYC subways are fine and utilized by most folks there; I swear some of you pansies have been in Cypress too long.

Nowadays I'd probably Uber more though.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
chimpanzee
blindey said:

chimpanzee said:

Panama Red said:

Let's cut out the middle man. Have government pay people directly to live close to their jobs so they aren't schlepping it across town.
I think we just circled back around to UBI. My personal pet idea is to set up welfare colonies with all services provided and unlimited access to intoxicating substances within their heavily fortified walls.
So basically a Mexican prison?
It would probably work out that way.
chimpanzee
drumboy said:

chimpanzee said:

NYC subways and San Francisco buses are ghastly expensive, heavily utilized horrible places to be.

NYC subways are fine and utilized by most folks there; I swear some of you pansies have been in Cypress too long.

One can endure it as a means to an end without too much lasting impact, but if you described the circumstance of a NYC subway without the part about it taking you somewhere, it would definitely be on the bad side of "fine" in my book, though that's entirely subjective.
drumboy
AG
chimpanzee said:

drumboy said:

chimpanzee said:

One can endure it as a means to an end without too much lasting impact, but if you described the circumstance of a NYC subway without the part about it taking you somewhere, it would definitely be on the bad side of "fine" in my book, though that's entirely subjective.

Well you are in close proximity to folks you don't know, some of which might smell funny. So pretty much like a visit to walmart.

My scared ass wife has been fine on it and only bad experience was getting lost on a transfer but we grabbed grey's papaya and a beer.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
chimpanzee
drumboy said:

chimpanzee said:

drumboy said:

chimpanzee said:

Well you are in close proximity to folks you don't know, some of which might smell funny. So pretty much like a visit to walmart.

My scared ass wife has been fine on it and only bad experience was getting lost on a transfer but we grabbed grey's papaya and a beer.
That's a good analogy. It's like an ultra-urban walmart with one aisle. My current transit alternatives do not involve that particular experience.

It has never struck me as anything to be too scared of, but gobs of tightly packed people, some of whom will (rather than might) be smelly is extremely off-putting to me. Clearly it's worth it to lots of folks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.