Houston
Sponsored by

The Rustic Downtown

3,490 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Wonderer
NASAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Biked past it along Polk last night. Heard the music and saw the lights. Impressive venue. Always good to have another live music / country bar in town with good local eats and drinks.

Almost seems like a better, larger version of Goodnight Charlies.

Anyone been yet? I'm going to have to check it out later this week.
Diggity
AG
I've been wanting to check it out.

Apparently Pat Green is a big investor.
RK
AG
Was hoping their music lineup would be better (relative to my tastes)
Diggity
AG
I was thinking the same at first, but it has to be hard to book live music seven nights a week, especially when you're not charging at the door.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
They are trying to cater to conventions and large company parties, not us common folk. It's $12 jack daniels night, every night. at least they pour heavy.

I do enjoy the set up though.
DavidAg02
Been 4 times... mostly because I work downtown but also took the wife there on a night out.

Great food. Drinks are good enough, but not great. Awesome atmosphere and had really good service most times too. Their weekend brunch is a fantastic deal, and really good. Watched an Aggie game from there one Saturday.
David Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop! Houston, TX
southernskies
I know Pat Green was involved with opening the one in Dallas. I'm sure it's the case here too. Of course it will be expensive, they are on prime real estate.
DavidAg02
southernskies said:

I know Pat Green was involved with opening the one in Dallas. I'm sure it's the case here too. Of course it will be expensive, they are on prime real estate.
I think it's really reasonable for food, especially when you consider the quality of it.

Drinks are a different story, but still comparable to other downtown stuff...
David Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop! Houston, TX
Aggie1199
Pat green is involved I will skip this place .
Aggie09Derek
AG
Solid drinks and good setup.

PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Pat green is involved I will skip this place .
Poster is upset it's not Luke Bryan.
AustinCountyAg
Who is Pat Green? ...some type of Irish guy???
dummble
AG
Ate there last night. they do seating at the bar which makes it hard to order a drink since you are crowding someone who is probably eating. We got seated, but our waitress was a no show for 15 minutes and we had to ask another server to send her over.

I can get over those things.

but I got the Hot Chicken and cheese sandwich which was billed as nashville style spicy fried chicken, dill pickles, mayo, melted American.

The chicken as not spiced or sauced and the sauce that came on the side was a really good take on buffalo sauce. Not nashville hot chicken style which is more of spice filled spicy oil. If that had called it a buffalo chicken sandwich and sauced the chicken it would have been awesome. but I felt duped and they made me do work.

I will never go there again

unless someone buys my drinks
White Liberals=The Worst
RK said:

The Frankie Leonie BBW gal has a nice voice, but it would be cool if they could at least get some of the washed up Texas Country artists from the 90's/early 2000's to come out every once in a while.

Tellin' me Charlie Robison or Roger Creager couldn't use a few thousand bucks?
Diggity
AG
Doug Supernaw on line 1
White Liberals=The Worst
Diggity said:

Doug Supernaw on line 1
I'd go.

TXAG 05
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

RK said:

The Frankie Leonie BBW gal has a nice voice, but it would be cool if they could at least get some of the washed up Texas Country artists from the 90's/early 2000's to come out every once in a while.

Neither of those guys are washed up, although Charlie is retired because of surgery on his throat.

Armadillo and Redneck CC have a good lock on the more popular Texas guys right now, the types that Firehouse had a monopoly on for a while. Not sure how Firehouse is still open, they haven't had anybody decent in a long time.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Wycliffe_03 said:

RK said:

Roger still keeps a pretty full schedule, but he'd still be a good candidate.

Charlie has some issue with his voice and is no longer performing.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
dummble said:

Ate there last night. they do seating at the bar which makes it hard to order a drink since you are crowding someone who is probably eating. We got seated, but our waitress was a no show for 15 minutes and we had to ask another server to send her over.

I can get over those things.

but I got the Hot Chicken and cheese sandwich which was billed as nashville style spicy fried chicken, dill pickles, mayo, melted American.

The chicken as not spiced or sauced and the sauce that came on the side was a really good take on buffalo sauce. Not nashville hot chicken style which is more of spice filled spicy oil. If that had called it a buffalo chicken sandwich and sauced the chicken it would have been awesome. but I felt duped and they made me do work.

I will never go there again

unless someone buys my drinks
It must have been an off night. Their food is usually pretty damn good.
Petrino1
I really wanted to like this place since I live downtown, but I've been twice and don't think I will ever go back. I ordered different margaritas and they were literally the worst margaritas I've ever had, tasted like something you'd get at Taco Cabana. The waiter even tried it and agreed that it tasted horrible.

Waiters would disappear for 20 minutes at a time, and the place wasn't very packed. Also, everything is overpriced for what you get. The one good thing about the place are the cute girls in jean skirts and boots! I can imagine this place being packed with talent around Rodeo season.
94chem
Quote:

At least you got sauce with yours. And why not put some real cheese on it? A melted Kraft single doesn't do it for me. And the kettle chips were nice, but I had to choke them down because of not having any dip. Had to hunt down a salt shaker too. Added a $9 beer to my meal, and after a $23 lunch, I decided I'd just walk over to 8th Wonder when possible. I don't do bars much, but I did eat at the bar. Is it normal to have your credit card confiscated? Are all those 30-something DINKS walking tabs?
Aggie1199
Told y'all any place that has pat green involved will suck .
Quincey P. Morris
AG
If you're starting a tab it's about 50/50 at this point. Some places can swipe it and give it back. I prefer those because you can just leave so long as you're good with a 20% tip. Even if I wouldn't tip that big it's worth the couple extra bucks to not have to fight my way to the bar to close the tab.
DallasAggies01
AG
Roger creager washed up? Lol! Dude is still killing it and packing houses wherever he's at. Charlie had to retire.
94chem
Lucky #007 said:

If you're starting a tab it's about 50/50 at this point. Some places can swipe it and give it back. I prefer those because you can just leave so long as you're good with a 20% tip. Even if I wouldn't tip that big it's worth the couple extra bucks to not have to fight my way to the bar to close the tab.

Don't they know it, too.
Silky Johnston
The one in San Antonio is awful and I fully expect this to be awful as well. Decent drinks, bad food, and the absolute worst service I have ever paid money for. Sounds the Houston one is the same.
The Wonderer
AG
I went shortly after they opened. The food was fantastic as was the atmosphere, but the service was subpar (chalked it up to new operations). Took 20 minutes to get a beer, then ended up with two beers within 3 minutes. One had a fly in it, so they took it away and brought me two more.

Overall, I liked it and had a good time. Alcohol is expensive, but not prohibitively.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.