Houston
Sponsored by

BCN Houston

2,648 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ferris Wheel Allstar
Tyrone_The_Tuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone been? Taking the old lady there for here birthday and all the reviews online seem like it's a really legit spot
teecoy
AG
We went for our 5 year anniversary. Did the full tasting menu-like 7 courses or something. Expensive as hell but really enjoyed it
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
teecoy said:

We went for our 5 year anniversary. Did the full tasting menu-like 7 courses or something. Expensive as hell but really enjoyed it

Do you have a rough estimate for two if we did the tasting menu? Have looked every where for a rough price but can't find anything
Ragoo
AG
Not BCN, but we have done the 6 course meal with wine pairings at Artisans and it was fantastic. Highly recommend.
Diggity
AG
Cool place with great drinks and starters. Our group wasn't as impressed with the main courses. I had the suckling pig and the flavor was fine but the portion was pretty small for the price. Felt like I paid 60 bucks for a strip of pork belly. Maybe it was bad luck but nobody was blown away with their main course.
teecoy
AG
Man it's been over a year...but I wanna say it was something like 150 per head for food on that tasting and that included (some?) wine pairings. Or maybe 125+drinks. In that ballpark
MemorialTXAg
Foie Gras and Pata Negra appetizers were some of the best I ever had. Service very good. Cocktails very good; decent choice of wines. The main courses were very underwhelming. Chanterelles with pork were cooked by someone who has clearly never cooked wild mushrooms before. Way better places in Houston to drop $400 for a diner for 2. That said, I will be back for that delicious liver and ham.
Spore Ag
I loved the whole scene. Great original artwork on the walls, crowd for a pricey restaurant were fun and engaging not to mention the food and wine were incredible.
We did it, loved it but there are other great places to go as well.
randy828
AG
We loved it! Excellent food, great service, and great atmosphere. I thought it was worth the splurge.

Took the wife for her birthday before catching a concert.
IDaggie06
AG
Once again, Texags makes me feel poor
Texaggie7nine
These things were amazeballs.

7nine
Silky Johnston
The manager is a huuuuge d-bag. It is a great place if you want to spend $50+ for small dishes of finger food.
Al Bula
AG
Is this the first course?

schmendeler
AG
I thought it was really good. my wife liked it too. I will admit that part of it was likely because it reminded of us of great food from our trip to spain. that said, i'd gladly go back.
Liquid Wrench
IDaggie06 said:

Once again, Texags makes me feel poor
I tried to look at their menu online but it felt like even the website knew I was an undesirable.
jh0400
AG
I've eaten there a few times. Their Ultimate Gin and Tonics are a great way to start a meal. The olives, ham croquettes, appetizer potatoes, and burrata salad are all really good. I've never gotten anything other than the suckling pig for an entree, and while it isn't the largest entree in Houston it's still really good. I need to go back, but it's really hard to get in on short notice.
Boo Weekley
No Pressure said:

Foie Gras and Pata Negra appetizers were some of the best I ever had. Service very good. Cocktails very good; decent choice of wines. The main courses were very underwhelming. Chanterelles with pork were cooked by someone who has clearly never cooked wild mushrooms before. Way better places in Houston to drop $400 for a diner for 2. That said, I will be back for that delicious liver and ham.
Holy sh**

Are we Manhattan now? My cheap ass has a hard time ponying up $400 for a pair of boots that will last a decade or more, let alone a temporary meal of food. Hard pass.
Boo Weekley
Silky Johnston said:

The manager is a huuuuge d-bag. It is a great place if you want to spend $50+ for small dishes of finger food.
You'd have to be an extraordinary d-bag to run a place like this. No other way.
Al Bula
AG
Did any of you cheap asses get the off-the-menu Ortolan with a side of scrambled condor eggs covered in rhino horn shavings?

archangelus2
AG
I took my Wife for our 10 year anniversary last year. We tried Foie Gras for the first time, didn't enjoy the texture but I have now checked it off my list. A lot of people recommended the suckling pig but I was very disappointed in it, it was very dry without much flavor. The seating was a little cramped and I didn't feel like our waitress lived up to my expectations for a place that expensive. Their gin and tonics were awesome though.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Man, the suckling pig was the big hit of the night when we went. So was the foie gras, and we're not particularly crazy about it. We loved the place. We spent ~$400ish but that was with cocktails and a bottle of wine, champagne and overdoing it on food as it was a special occasion
88jrt06
AG
Trying. Too. Hard.
schmendeler
AG
How some of you are reacting to the prices at this restaurant is how I feel reading about some of the watch purchases on the high end watches thread.
Boo Weekley
schmendeler said:

How some of you are reacting to the prices at this restaurant is how I feel reading about some of the watch purchases on the high end watches thread.
Same here...but at least an expensive watch lasts more than an hour or two and you don't sh** it out the next morning.
schmendeler
AG
Boo Weekley said:

schmendeler said:

Same here...but at least an expensive watch lasts more than an hour or two and you don't sh** it out the next morning.
at least a good meal tastes better than crap food. nice watches aren't even as accurate as a $5 casio.

and I like nice watches, too.
Boo Weekley
schmendeler said:

Boo Weekley said:

schmendeler said:

at least a good meal tastes better than crap food. nice watches aren't even as accurate as a $5 casio.

That's a good point, that is why I am Iron-Man and iPhone all the way. Until I am around the in-laws, in which I sport the $4k watch they gave me as a wedding gift even though I can't remember the last time I set it. Luckily they haven't asked me for the time yet.
WES2006AG
AG
Silky Johnston said:

It sounds like there is a story behind this. Do tell...
Texaggie7nine
schmendeler said:

Boo Weekley said:

schmendeler said:

Exactly. You can easily taste where your money is going if you eat at a legitimate high star restaurant that lives up to its reputation.

The 4 and 5 figure watches, all you have is knowledge that a lot of design and work went into it but as far as your actual experience of it, it looks not any different than the good knockoffs or cheaper high quality brands and does its primary function no more effective than a cheap good watch.
7nine
Boo Weekley
WES2006AG said:

Silky Johnston said:

It sounds like there is a story behind this. Do tell...
The story is that he charges $400 for meal and drinks and the only thing that consistently gets good reviews are the gin n tonics.

Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Going there this Thursday. Full update will follow
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
88jrt06 said:

Trying. Too. Hard.
Ho.Lee.Chit.Irony.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.