Houston
Sponsored by

Recycling suggestions in Cypress

2,032 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Aggiemike96
rmarshall2014
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

New to the Cypress area, and our neighborhood doesn't collect recycling, and we are having trouble finding a recycling center to drop stuff off at. Any suggestions of where to go?
Jack Cheese
AG
I hate to be the one who tells you that Santa Claus isn't real, but sadly your efforts are a waste of time. Even if your neighborhood had recycling (ours does through Waste Management), if you cared to learn you would discover that almost all the recyclables go into the landfill. It just isn't economical so WM is tricking us in order to charge more revenue.

So unless you are recycling a precious few valuable items that are viable, you're not doing anything positive, and may not be anyway because the carbon you expend delivering the material will probably offset any gains.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
As an Environmental Scientist, I support long term recycling. That is where we throw all our waste in a big pit so that our smarter offspring many many years in the future will have an easy time to find it and use it properly.
aggiedent
AG
Ah.....the classic TexAgs response. Instead of answering the question, show how smart you are by lecturing on a subject in order to show how misguided OP is and simultaneously push your narrative on a socio-political subject. Well done. Sorry OP, I don't live in Cypress or I would have been glad to answer your question.
Larry S Ross
AG
There is some type of recycling company just outside the beltway. I think on 529. Don't know the name of it.
Check the county website they have a center off Little York that takes some things.
randy828
AG
There is a recycling place off Hempstead Hwy/ Gessner (inside the Beltway). Maybe you can find another location closer to you on the website below.

https://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/sommermeyer.html

lunchbox
I just take ours to the recycling dumpster behind our Randalls. They have 4-5 of them and there are no signs telling the public not to use them.

Schools also usually have a paper recycling dumpster outside of them...
agnerd
AG
aggiedent said:

Ah.....the classic TexAgs response. Instead of answering the question, show how smart you are by lecturing on a subject in order to show how misguided OP is and simultaneously push your narrative on a socio-political subject. Well done. Sorry OP, I don't live in Cypress or I would have been glad to answer your question.
Eh, it's a valid point. Most recycling goes straight to the landfill now. My neighborhood went through an exhaustive process including switching vendors to ensure "most" of our recycling actually gets recycled. Best bet on recycling is to take your aluminum cans to scrap metal place since they're worth about a penny each (if you don't spend more than that on gas) and throw the rest in your trash can. Then take the $4 per month that you're saving by NOT having recycling in your neighborhood and donate that money to a green charity. OP seems like he wants to actually help the environment instead of professing how woke he is. Jack Cheese seemed like he was trying to help him do that.
drumboy
AG
About 10 years ago a buddy of mine took a half day off of work to take a busted washer/dryer to C&D scrap metal thinking he'd get a nice payout but he only left w/ five $2 bills.
Jack Cheese
AG
agnerd said:

aggiedent said:

Eh, it's a valid point. Most recycling goes straight to the landfill now. My neighborhood went through an exhaustive process including switching vendors to ensure "most" of our recycling actually gets recycled. Best bet on recycling is to take your aluminum cans to scrap metal place since they're worth about a penny each (if you don't spend more than that on gas) and throw the rest in your trash can. Then take the $4 per month that you're saving by NOT having recycling in your neighborhood and donate that money to a green charity. OP seems like he wants to actually help the environment instead of professing how woke he is. Jack Cheese seemed like he was trying to help him do that.

You're being too generous. I was an a-hole to the OP (sorry, OP). But yeah, recycling is generally not a good use of time right now.
Texaggie7nine
I live near the area but I don't give 2 poots about recycling so no help here.
7nine
bigjag19
AG
agnerd said:

aggiedent said:

Who did you switch to?
agnerd
AG
bigjag19 said:

agnerd said:

aggiedent said:

Who did you switch to?
Texas Pride. Most of the other companies said they take their stuff to the landfill if the bulk recycler refuses it, and that's pretty often since china stopped accepting most of it. Texas Pride said their stuff goes to Mexico. If they aren't lying and their bulk recycler doesn't go out of business, they are one of the only ones that actually recycles your stuff.
Betoisafurry
randy828 said:

There is a recycling place off Hempstead Hwy/ Gessner (inside the Beltway). Maybe you can find another location closer to you on the website below.

You have to be a city of houston resident to use this facility. They check your drivers license and require a utility bill to prove your address.
Larry S Ross
AG
Charlie Kelley said:

randy828 said:

You have to be a city of houston resident to use this facility. They check your drivers license and require a utility bill to prove your address.

I used it a year or so ago. It's a county facility or was and I did have to show I lived in county.
Worth a call tho before you go to confirm.
94chem
I just hand it to a flight attendant and they separate it.
Betoisafurry
Larry S Ross said:

Charlie Kelley said:

randy828 said:

I used it a year or so ago. It's a county facility or was and I did have to show I lived in county.
Ya I would check, I took a couple truck loads from my back yard renovation last summer and they have City of Houston Resident only signs all over the place
bigjag19
AG
We also just switched to Texas Pride.
randy828
AG
Charlie Kelley said:

Larry S Ross said:

Charlie Kelley said:

randy828 said:

Ya I would check, I took a couple truck loads from my back yard renovation last summer and they have City of Houston Resident only signs all over the place
The OP was talking about recycling. This location has large trash bins and I think that is what they check the license for.

In my 11 years dropping off recycling here, only once did a lady come over to the recycle bins and ask me to write down my address. She did not check my license.

The recycle bins are in the front right when you drive in the entrance. I drive in the entrance, park by the recycle bins and drop off and then drive out the entrance.
Liquid Wrench
I've dropped off at the Westpark CoH recycling center and never asked for proof of residence.
Aggiemike96
AG
Please don't bring your non-Houston trash to Houston. Houston is already full of trash (both people and rubbish)!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.