Houston
Sponsored by

HAR Market Update

2,020 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jja79
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was going to do my usual breakdown of the housing report, but Sarnoff put out a really good article that does a great job of breaking down what the market looks like right now, along with some possible reasons why (although I'm not buying the government shutdown excuse).

Quote:

In December, single-family home sales were down 4.1 percent compared with the same month in 2017 the second straight month of declining year-over-year sales, according to the Houston Realtors Association.

"When I talk to other Realtors, I think the second half of the year was really slow," said real estate agent Shad Bogany. "Builders were telling us it was slow. Certain neighborhoods, we're not getting any traffic at all, especially where you had resales and new homes in the same neighborhood."
The major culprit appears to be mortgage rates. The average rate on a 30-year mortgage jumped to nearly 5 percent in 2018, from lows near 3 percent in recent years. While rates have again retreated, falling last week to 4.5 percent, experts said buyers took note of the trends.

Anticipating higher rates, they rushed to purchase homes early in the year, frontloading 2018 sales, said Patrick Jankowski, senior vice president of research for the Greater Houston Partnership,

"We've been spoiled with the lower rates for so long and they're now getting to normal," Bogany said. "Taxes are higher on your home, homeowners insurance is higher. I think people are weighing all that."

Houston home sales break records in 2018, but slowdown appears on horizon

Sluggish December sales and limited housing supply can't slow down overall real estate activity for the year
MelvinUdall
How would the shutdown, which didn't start to the second half of the month have any impact? That is what I like to call reaching for a reason when he doesn't know the reason.
Diggity
AG
I'm reading it as things that could cause a slowdown in the near future, but I still don't buy it.
MelvinUdall
Diggity said:

I'm reading it as things that could cause a slowdown in the near future, but I still don't buy it.

Ah that is fair. I am not suggesting that Houston doesn't have their fair share of federal government employees, but they had to be a fraction of total home buyers. If anything if there is a dip in the first quarter, the second quarter and third quarter will see an above average uptick.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I'll give him another hint
Martin Q. Blank
I heard flood insurance policies cannot be issued due to the shutdown. That would definitely affect people buying within the floodplain like all of Meyerland and some of Bellaire.
Post removed:
by user
RenoAg
IRS not processing 4506T forms. How can people get their mortgage loans approved? Required by most lenders, no? Unless you want a higher rate on a no doc/POI type of loan, assuming the lender offers that.
jja79
AG
Signed 4506 T suffices right now.
jja79
AG
IRS is now providing transcripts but there is a backlog.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.