Houston
Sponsored by

Katy Tee Ball

5,084 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by KatyAg88
civil08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a son that will start tee ball this year and trying to determine between Katy Pony League or Katy National LL. Anybody have any experience with either? I grew up playing LL but not sure how much has changed. I'm near I-10 and Barker Cypress area.
BarryProfit
It won't matter.
Martin Q. Blank
WES2006AG
AG
If your kid is over 3 and not already on a select team it is too late. Try soccer.
Bassmaster
AG
^
This guy is correct. It's a little late, but if you can find a select team with availability, jump all over it. Cost should not be a factor if you want him to play pro ball one day.
BohunkAg
AG
Make sure you find the right select travel t-ball team. If you aren't playing multi-state tournaments every weekend, year around, your kid is fooked.
civil08
AG
Ha. Select teams were just starting to get big about the time I went to HS so I never did it. I have plenty of cousins that I watched so I know all about it now. I was just curious if anyone had experience with either leagues. Some of my best friends growing up were from LL because we all played together from 5/6 years old up to 16 so I'd like my son to stay with same league if possible.
czechy91
AG
My son played T-Ball with Katy Pony for a year and we all enjoyed it. The facilities are decent but are honestly a small notch below Katy National Little league. We ended up going the select team route and practiced at KP which was was better since we could build your team around a talented nucleus and grow from there. (As opposed to staying in the KP or Katy National league and getting placed on teams where only 2 or 3 kids could catch the ball and wanted to be there..) It all depends on what you are looking to get out of your baseball league.

If your son seems athletic and you envision him playing select ball one day, I would go with KP and then jump to select after a year or two. Its easier to make connections and find other like minded parents IMO. Also, I always preferred the KP/select ball style of baseball that's more in tune with "standard" baseball. I never understood the LL rules for stealing and the overly small baseball field dimensions.

Just my 2 cents.
civil08
AG
That makes sense and thanks for sharing.
aftershock
I mean for tee ball, I would do whatever is closer to your house.

I played in both Katy American (same location at KNLL) and Katy Pony when I was a kid. Seems like most of the select teams (at least when my brother played) were using Pony rules with open bases, etc. My neighbor's kid just did tee ball with Pony, and they really felt the coach improved his ability... but that's probably more the coach than the league.
94chem
Have you considered just stealing a traffic cone and putting it in the back yard?
BarryProfit
Which league has the hottest moms?
JYDog90
AG
There's always Science Olympiad.
HtownAg92
AG
BohunkAg said:

Make sure you find the right select travel t-ball team. If you aren't playing multi-state tournaments every weekend, year around, your kid is fooked.
And remember, Thanksgiving and Christmas with family is over-rated. Who needs turkey or rib roast when Connyr and the rest of the family can choke down a hot dog during a break between games in a triple-header?

Another think to look for when choosing the right select team - make sure you find a coach that has the correct priorities and will bench Aydyn if he wants to play other sports or play ball for his school.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My son is 6 months old yesterday. Does anyone know a private hitting instructor that will take him this late in life?
HtownAg92
AG
Good luck. The best time to get on the wait list at Pete Rose Hit King is ejaculation.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Well, ***** Maybe he was destined for the marching band. Does Calvin Murphy still do the baton twirling camp?
El Duke
8 year old tried out for Marucci Elite this past weekend, first experience with select ball. Asked me last night if he made the team can he quit. I told him thats the spirit.

MelvinUdall
HtownAg92 said:

Good luck. The best time to get on the wait list at Pete Rose Hit King is ejaculation.

Yeah, that is essentially going bankrupt.
BohunkAg
AG
BarryProfit said:

Which league has the hottest moms?
Absolutely should be a consideration.
WES2006AG
AG
El Duke said:

8 year old tried out for Marucci Elite this past weekend, first experience with select ball. Asked me last night if he made the team can he quit. I told him thats the spirit.

Most kids at least go to their first practice before they realize they hate select ball.
Buford T. Justice
AG
Someday, a movie will be made about travel sports, and the weather effect that it has on families. Hopefully, when it gets made, the director will be the person that directed "Best in Show."
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Buford T. Justice
AG
Disregard "weather"
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
94chem
Once had a parent tell me that they were taking their 6 year old to a soccer tournament in Florida. I started looking around for a camera. I thought it was some kind of candid camera troll. It wasn't.
jja79
AG
The Short Game is about high level youth golf. We met one of the crazy dads from the show at a tournament a few years ago. He went nuts when his kid's approach shot rolled off the back of the green and into the water. My son decided this year to give it up even though he has some wins under his belt. Another son played travel baseball and was able to play in college. About half the kids on his teams hated it but the dad couldn't give it up.
GoAgs92
AG
My kid played select, then I moved him back to rec ball

Kinda nice having the best kid on the team for once...but he didn't like it.

so back to select where he got treated as the worst kid on the team which he hated (pro tip, don't join a team with more than 3 coaches who are dads) so on to the next team where he's treated the same as everyone else....this one he likes.

There are very few select teams that work to develop every kid...they usually just recruit kids from other teams who are already good and get rid of kids that aren't as good. Then they market how great of coaches they are...but your kid never gets really any better.
Miles Finch
civil08 said:

I have a son that will start tee ball this year and trying to determine between Katy Pony League or Katy National LL. Anybody have any experience with either? I grew up playing LL but not sure how much has changed. I'm near I-10 and Barker Cypress area.
I made this same decision 13 years ago when my son was 4. I chose Katy Pony and here are the primary reasons; KP doesn't do machine pitch, which I'm not a fan, and the eventual open bases and bigger fields/basepaths/pitching rubber. I kept my son in Katy Pony until his 8u season and have zero regrets.
KatyAg88
My son and I (Coach) started in KNLL because the goal was to try and make the LL Allstars tournament. We had fun and they have some nice fields. After a few seasons I realized Katy Little League zones were messed up. While KNLL was land locked and participation numbers dropped for different reasons and had maybe 6 teams in an age division.The competition was weak. KALL had a vast zone and they had 12-13 teams for every level and were turning kids away. Katy LL failure helped Katy Pony tremendously. The incompetence of the KLL and LL regional manger gets credited for the huge Blast Off and success of "Select" baseball in the Katy area.
We switched to Pony at age 8. It was more competitive and had a good number of teams in all divisions. Hind sight, I wished we would have started in Pony. Was there until time to move on to more competitive Select Ball.

We are on a travel team from a different area now. People say "Man! there are ton of established select teams out of Katy. I respond "that is thanks to the crappy KLL organization".

Lamar LL in Richmond Rosenberg has an excellent competitive LL by the way.

Good luck and more importantly Have Fun!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.