Houston
Sponsored by

Too late for an HLSR committee?

5,962 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by buda91
tlh3842
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I planned on getting on one earlier, I had the thought right after the 2018 season wrapped up. But the new job was crazy busy this year and I never had the time or never thought about it at least. What's the typical time frame to join?
TXAG 05
AG
It's too late for most comittees. Rodeo Express or Transportaion may still need some bodies.

Need to get on the waitlist the first day of the new season which is May 1st, I believe.
84AGEC
AG
tlh3842
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

It's too late for most comittees. Rodeo Express or Transportaion may still need some bodies.

Need to get on the waitlist the first day of the new season which is May 1st, I believe.

Good to know about the May/summer timeframe. I appreciate it
TXAG 05
AG
Do you know what committee you would be interested in?
Jock 07
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

one with wristbands
ccolley68
AG
Sales oriented committees will almost always take people right up to the show. Mine is sales oriented and we are still recruiting, it's just tough to badge late in the game because you have to meet a 'quota', but it's possible.
Big Country51
AG
If you know someone on the committe you are interested in joining it could go a long way in helping you out so I would reach out to them after rodeo this year if not maybe someone on here could help you out
DallasAggies01
AG
I know the Transportation Committee is still looking. Got an email this morning about it.
JSKolache
AG
Pay HLSR membership online and request a few committees. Transpo as nooted, Recycling is also always looking to add bodies. Its later in the game, so pick something that sounds boring and they might give you a shot.
FtBendTxAg
AG
The ticketing committee needed a lot of bodies just a week or two ago. Can't remember the actual name. Not gatekeepers.
Dr. Horrible
DallasAggies01 said:

I know the Transportation Committee is still looking. Got an email this morning about it.
I just got our team roster for the Transportation cook team, and we still had one open spot. I'm pretty sure that if we still have an opening, the rest of the committee does too.
TXAG 05
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

The ticketing committee needed a lot of bodies just a week or two ago. Can't remember the actual name. Not gatekeepers.

Ticket services?
JYDog90
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Oh, you know, calf scramble, grand entry, or the one that's in charge of driving the truck with the band out to the stage...or the one that hands out wrist bands.
RK
AG
Barrel Racer Hospitality Liaison

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
RK said:

Barrel Racer Hospitality Liaison

I have been trying to get on that committee for years, I hear they ride you hard
aTm2004
AG
Bump for a question...

I made the decision on Saturday when I was there that I wanted to join a committee next year. I love going to the rodeo each year and my kids are getting to the age where they'll start actually going to something other than the carnival as well. Coupled with my wife and I are trying to raise them to be involved in the church and community, I need to take that step to get involved more so than I am.

I know people on the below committees, so which would you prefer if you had a choice, or what order would you place these in? Some of the others I'm interested in are the typical ones that I have zero shot of getting on without knowing somebody.

- Transportation: My dad has been on this one for years and loves it. I was a bus driver at A&M and can drive pretty much anything with wheels, so...
- Breeders Greeters: Co-worker is on this one and told me she thinks I'd be a good fit for it.
- Gatekeepers: Good friend is on this one. Above mentioned co-worker was on this one but got off because dealing with GenPub vs. not.
- Special Children's: Uncle is on this one, but it's probably a better fit for my wife who is a Special Ed teacher
SweaterVest
AG
Out of that list based on why you want to join, definitely Breeders Greeters.
Silky Johnston
So are committees just a way to get a sh/t ton of unpaid volunteers with the promise of some marginal benefits while HSLR laughs all the way to the bank?
SweaterVest
AG
A cynic would look at it that way. I actually enjoy my time out there, spend way more time volunteering than I'm required to, and have built a large and very fun social network from my involvement. I exhibited livestock as a kid and I'm happy to be able to give back and interact with current exhibitors who. The scholarships that the rodeo gives out would basically not be possible if volunteers were replaced with paid positions anyway. I don't think I have used my badge to get in to any shows in a couple of years, so that isn't much of a benefit to me anyway.
Ag_07
AG
aTm2004 said:

-Transportation: I don't think volunteers drive the buses. Think that's on the contracted bus companies. They do however drive the trams, park cars, load shuttles, etc.
- Breeders Greeters: Not a bad committee as far as I know. They do work hard and I hear they work crazy hours and lots of shifts. Like be there at 4 am to start unloading and stay late to finish up. But it is good work and they're tent back there is always smelling good and lively.
- Gatekeepers: Hard pass for me. Scanning tickets and dealing with people. No thanks. But it is a younger crowd who is pretty socially active with happy hours etc throughout the year.
- Special Children's: No idea on this one

That's just what I know of each one of these based on my personal experience.
ccolley68
AG
You could look at it that way, or you could look at it that the entire event and everything involved with it quite literally wouldn't be possible without all the volunteers. There isn't enough revenue to cover that many paid employees.

I do it because I like it. The benefits of show admission are minimal. I love that a city this size still openly embraces a month of western/cowboy culture and keeps that as a focal point for who we are as a city. I love that the kids are the root of it all, and that's why I am on a committee that is involved with the livestock show side of it. I showed as a kid, and I hope that generations of kids still have that opportunity. Things like the HLSR make that possible.

I get to meet and work with some very interesting people. My committee alone has already raised $2.7M with more to come.

Like the above poster talked about, I have kids and they are finally getting to an age where I have the flexibility and they have the ability to observe what we as parents do. My wife and I both joined NP organizations this year. She is part of a group who helps shelter and then find permanent or temporary housing for battered women and their children. I am partial to the western side of things, so I joined the rodeo. Being a part of something bigger than yourself isn't for everyone, but for those that want to, it's a great thing.
aTm2004
AG
SweaterusVestus said:

Thanks. I've heard it's a good committee and my co-worker has been on it a few years and said she'd recommend me and has talked me through some of it. She said they do have people who are tractor certified who move the tack as well.
aTm2004
AG
Ag_07 said:

aTm2004 said:

-Transportation: I don't think volunteers drive the buses. Think that's on the contracted bus companies. They do however drive the trams, park cars, load shuttles, etc.
- Breeders Greeters: Not a bad committee as far as I know. They do work hard and I hear they work crazy hours and lots of shifts. Like be there at 4 am to start unloading and stay late to finish up. But it is good work and they're tent back there is always smelling good and lively.
- Gatekeepers: Hard pass for me. Scanning tickets and dealing with people. No thanks. But it is a younger crowd who is pretty socially active with happy hours etc throughout the year.
- Special Children's: No idea on this one

That's just what I know of each one of these based on my personal experience.
Appreciate it. My dad drives the trams for all 3 days of the cookoff. He says that he'll leave the partying to the younger crowd but loves watching the drunks and their stuff. I did CARPOOL and can relate...though there are times that they aren't fun.

My co-worker for BG said it's 5 shifts for rookies and then 4 the next year and 3 after (IIRC). Not too bad.

I'll read some more on them and see if any others interest me. I don't mind the hours as long as my wife I OK with them, and I can take PTO if needed.
TXAG 05
AG
I'm on GK and Special Childrens and would be glad to answer any questions that you might have. I will say that SCC is very hard to get on, due to little to no turnover.
aTm2004
AG
Is JT still the chairman of GK? I knew him back in college when we drove the buses.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
aTm2004 said:

Is JT still the chairman of GK? I knew him back in college when we drove the buses.
yes he is, he had a rough night at Kacey Musgraves.
aTm2004
AG
How so?
JSKolache
AG
aTm2004 said:

SweaterusVestus said:

Thanks. I've heard it's a good committee and my co-worker has been on it a few years and said she'd recommend me and has talked me through some of it. She said they do have people who are tractor certified who move the tack as well.
BG tractor driver is the best job at rodeo. Off your feet, butt in a seat. The cert is a one evening class.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
1st day issues that he was having to deal with.
Dr. Horrible
My $.02 is to join something you're going to be passionate about and enjoy doing with your time off. Don't just look at it based on what you already do. I've heard a lot of people say "oh I'm in IT so I should get on IS" or "I have to talk a lot at work so I should get on Tours". But for me it is the opposite, when I leave my job to go volunteer, I want to stretch a side of me that isn't related to my day to day life. Gives me a really nice break from work, and keeps me looking forward to the volunteer job.
ChAg1799
AG
I would also add that look at the commitments required... some are "working" committees some are sales committees... do you want to work with kids, in bars, with animals. What can you committ to doing? It sucks when someone is supposed to be working, but "didn't realize" that the shift started earky in the morning or ended late at night, etc...
Also, like anything else you will get out of it what you put into it...
Al Bula
AG
ChAg1799 said:

I would also add that look at the commitments required... some are "working" committees some are sales committees... do you want to work with kids, in bars, with animals. What can you committ to doing? It sucks when someone is supposed to be working, but "didn't realize" that the shift started earky in the morning or ended late at night, etc...
Also, like anything else you will get out of it what you put into it...
also keep in mind that working committees like Breeders Greeters and Livestock truly do require work. Nothing worse than volunteering your time and having lollygagging idiots on your shift that won't pull their weight or officers that won't enforce it. Working committees can be a lot of fun when you realize the end goal is to provide an awesome experience for the participants who travel a long way to show swine, goats, lambs and cattle.
12th Man Ag
AG
Bingo. This is the reason Livestock is such a huge committee. Half of the members just hide during their shifts and do nothing. It was really frustrating for those who actually showed up to work. But, I enjoyed my time on the Livestock Committee after I got past the orange sticks!

Have been on Calf Scramble Arena for the last 10 years and it is a blast. The kids that participate are pretty amazing kids.
Ag03 CQE
AG
Anyone have any experience with the Agricultural Mechanics or Ranch Rodeo committees and care to share some insight? I'm also thinking about joining a committee and these two are currently at the top of my list.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.