Houston
Sponsored by

The Science Museum

3,229 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Al Bula
Cynic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it insanely crowded this week? Thinking about taking the kids tomorrow but wondering if that's a good idea or not
Waltonloads08
AG
Just go when they open and it'll be fine.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I hope the kids are current on their flu shots.
aggie_sprt
Avoid the free admission time on Thursday from 2 to 5.
Neches21
Was there on Sunday. We got there right after they opened and there wasn't a line at all. By the time we left at 11:30 the line was absurd.
czechy91
AG
FYI - If you aren't a Member of the HMNS you can get into the exhibits at membership prices if you simply show them your Aggie ring. This is all thanks to Artie McFerrin, Class of '65 who was a significant benefactor to the museum. Apparently the museum has some sort of discount for Aggies thanks to Artie's generosity. I wasn't aware and was recently in line prepared to pay full prices when a HMNS staff member saw my son wearing his A&M hoodie and inquired if anyone in the group was an A&M graduate and had a A&M ring. I showed him my ring and he explained the A&M discount. We even got to use the membership line as opposed to general admission. The discount applies to everyone in the group (there was 4 of us) and it ended up saving me ~$120. Thanks Mr. McFerrin (RIP) and HMNS!
Ag_07
AG
That's great because I was shocked at how expensive the museum is.

We took the little one for the first time and when we saw prices we stuck to just doing the butterfly center as it was like $8 each instead of the $25-30 they charge for the standard museum exhibit.
GoneGirl
AG
czechy91 said:

FYI - If you aren't a Member of the HMNS you can get into the exhibits at membership prices if you simply show them your Aggie ring. This is all thanks to Artie McFerrin, Class of '65 who was a significant benefactor to the museum. Apparently the museum has some sort of discount for Aggies thanks to Artie's generosity. I wasn't aware and was recently in line prepared to pay full prices when a HMNS staff member saw my son wearing his A&M hoodie and inquired if anyone in the group was an A&M graduate and had a A&M ring. I showed him my ring and he explained the A&M discount. We even got to use the membership line as opposed to general admission. The discount applies to everyone in the group (there was 4 of us) and it ended up saving me ~$120. Thanks Mr. McFerrin (RIP) and HMNS!
We had the same experience...
rhoswen
AG
Had no idea! Thanks for sharing!
CowtownAg06
AG
Another cool the thing museum does is offer ticketed tours at off peak times. They are pretty cheap (I think less $5/person) and amazing. We were there on Friday afternoon with our kids and did a paleontology tour. There is a guy named Rich (I think) that leads them and is so good with kids. I learned a ton as well and the kids still talk about it.
Waltonloads08
AG
czechy91 said:

I'm a member, but I had a HMNS staffer tell me the same thing a few months ago, so legit!
Waltonloads08
AG
Ag_07 said:

That's great because I was shocked at how expensive the museum is.

We took the little one for the first time and when we saw prices we stuck to just doing the butterfly center as it was like $8 each instead of the $25-30 they charge for the standard museum exhibit.

It's expensive, but if you go more than once a year just get a membership. They have world class facilities and great events. HMNS is very well run.

It's my daughters favorite place to go in town and we are there a couple times a month. Gotta love 4 year olds wanting to see the same things over and over like it's their first time.
schmendeler
AG
czechy91 said:

this sounds like BS, but since others have backed it up, i have to say that is pretty cool.

it sounds like the old urban legend that the AFS pays for half of your aggie ring.
drumboy
AG
There are always GroupOns for HMNS as well.
Cynic
We ended up using a groupon. Um....the Aggie thing was unknown to the lady I talked to.

So we went. Turns out my kids struggle standing still while I read all the displays. My 1 year old thought the Egypt exhibit was a great place to discover how his voice echos.
czechy91
AG
Cynic said:

We ended up using a groupon. Um....the Aggie thing was unknown to the lady I talked to.

So we went. Turns out my kids struggle standing still while I read all the displays. My 1 year old thought the Egypt exhibit was a great place to discover how his voice echos.
It's disappointing that the ticket agent wasn't aware of the A&M discount. I suspect that it's not used that often and unfortunately not all employees are aware. Did they consult with a manager?
Al Bula
AG
czechy91 said:

Did they consult with a manager?
"I'd like to speak with your head docent about my Aggie ring discount."

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.