Houston
Sponsored by

WTH is it with the hazard lights for heavy rain?

4,265 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The Kraken
Kceovaisnt-
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I assume this been discussed, so can someone enlighten me? Why are people using hazard lights during slightly heavier than moderate rain?
FtBendTxAg
AG
The only logical explanation I can think of is that they think they're doing the right thing since they're driving much slower than the flow of traffic because they lack the ability to drive in the rain, whether it's poor vision, lack of skill, or being foreign.

Texaggie7nine
The idiots that do this claim you are supposed to do it so you are more visible. I then ask them what you are supposed to do if your car stalls or you have to pull off the road in order to tell other drivers that your car is stopped? They just shrug. .
7nine
Icecream_Ag
S
Ill do it in zero visibility type rain because there are idiots that still drive 50 on 6, but it has to be can't see the road immediately in front of me type rain
aTm2004
AG
People that do this are morons.

hth
P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://clark.com/cars/illegal-use-hazard-lights-in-rain/
FtBendTxAg
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Ill do it in zero visibility type rain because there are idiots that still drive 50 on 6, but it has to be can't see the road immediately in front of me type rain

That's what tail lights and head lights are for
LondonAg89
AG
Non native Houstonians
htxag09
AG
The worst part is it seems more and more jack wagons think it's a good idea. If it's raining so bad you think you need your hazard lights on, get the **** off the road.
jamesf
AG
Plus you aren't able to signal when you switch lanes with your hazard lights on. It makes you more of a...hazard.
JJxvi
AG
Must be from up north
Kceovaisnt-
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

The only logical explanation I can think of is that they think they're doing the right thing since they're driving much slower than the flow of traffic because they lack the ability to drive in the rain, whether it's poor vision, lack of skill, or being foreign.

I would somewhat understand that if it were limited to people uncomfortable with driving the speed limit with the rain severity. Two-thirds of these people are flashing while at the speed limit or exceeding the limit by 15 mph. Of which I am okay with having lived here for over a decade. Just don't ****in flash the hazards!

It draws attention to vehicles doing it and away from actual road hazards. It also makes it harder to see the road in heavy rain. It also comes off to me as a sort of road-going virtue signaling. Almost as if to say: "Hey guys. It might not be apparent, but it happens to be raining. Let's all be a safe driver like me."
W
AG
Amen to everything. Best thread of the new year
rhoswen
AG
I've seen cops on the news encouraging people to do it.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Hazards on, driving 40 in the fast lane. A Houston tradition.
LostInLA07
AG
rhoswen said:

I've seen cops on the news encouraging people to do it.

Probably because they want to meet their ticket quota easier
BigOil
AG
I admit I did it once in ridiculous rain with barely any visibility but now I see why it's a very bad idea.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
We need someone to champion our cause. Can we get JJ Watt on board with us? Tell him it is an insult to the troops and there will be cameras.
AgCPA95
AG
If these morons would learn to turn on their headlights during hard rain it would be much safer for everyone
Win At Life
AG
Do it, or don't do it, but just don't get triggered about it either way like the OP.
Big Cat `93
AG
I've seen it in fog, too.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Well that's because you obviously can't drive, can't see or a foreigner....real Americans drive full speed limit in hazardous driving situations
Martin Q. Blank
jamesf said:

Plus you aren't able to signal when you switch lanes with your hazard lights on. It makes you more of a...hazard.
Had someone almost hit me because of this. Moron probably thought I could see his turn signal to change lanes.
combat wombat™
AG
Based upon the article you posted, it Is legal in Texas.
Premium
AG
If I'm driving the wife's van and it's not handling great in a downpour I turn the hazards on. Yeah, maybe I should get off the road but I'd rather keep going 50 than get off the highway. I'm alerting others that my handling is slightly precarious so don't tail me or hang out nearby.
Cliff Booth
AG
I just thought it was something the illegals did, and local idiots decided to do too.
Texan_Aggie
AG
I do it just to piss you guys off.
88jrt06
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Hazards on, driving 40 in the fast lane school zone. A Houston tradition.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
combat wombat said:

Based upon the article you posted, it Is legal in Texas.

It is. So is grandma driving a Vespa without a helmet down I-45 while talking on her Bluetooth phone. Doesn't mean it's safe or good policy.
Dirtnap ag
AG
Normally this does not bother me much as long as you are in the far right lane and stay out of my way but I saw a driver yesterday I absolutely could not believe. Main headed north into the med center 7 am. The driver was in the center lane driving no more than 5 MPH in a LIGHT RAIN, I my wipers were on intermittent the rain was so light. I couldn't believe my eyes. If you feel the need to turn on your hazards, pull over to the side of the road and stop your vehicle until you feel it is "safe" to proceed sans hazards.
schmendeler
AG
i hate this as well as people that get into a fender bender and then get out of their cars to look at them for 30 minutes while blocking several lanes of traffic.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
Win At Life said:

Do it, or don't do it, but just don't get triggered about it either way like the OP.

Simple curiosity is all. Wondered if it was something that was being taught at driving schools these days. But as a counterpoint to your 2 cents, how about just don't do it.
BohunkAg
AG
Eh, we were coming back from Jacksonville yesterday in rain a good portion of the way and there were people using flashers intermittently on a lot of the route (Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc.). We were both discussing what idiots they were.
MouthBQ98
AG
Legal but utterly stupid.

On nearly all vehicles, they override turn signals. So, you can't signal lane changes or intent to turn. Or, someone beside you that can't see both sides of your car assumes you are signaling to change lanes towards them. Stupid ass dangerous.

They are intended to mark DISABLED vehicles as road hazards, not turn you into a makeshift emergency vehicle. If you suck so bad at driving that you think you are a road hazard, or conditions really are that awful, GTF off the road!
Jock 07
AG
what are these turn signals y'all speak of? I didn't realize they actually existed in Houston.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.