Houston
Sponsored by

Home internet

2,277 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WES2006AG
sprintermike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the sugar land area and U-verse just raised my rate for home internet (I already thought I was overpaying) to $80.

We have 2 kids who do some youtubing and wfie likes to watch Amazon prime movies/TV. What does everyone use?

Xfinity has 60mbps for $35/mo. Is that enough for streaming on phones?

I've heard we'll all be on the 5G network in a few years but not sure if that is available now?

Any experiences to share?
03_Aggie
Call u-verse and tell them you're cancelling to switch to comcast because it's cheaper. Enjoy your new lower priced u-verse bill.
aTm2004
AG
I pay $80 with Suddenlink (only provider in my area) for 400/no caps. I'd die if I only had 35mbps.
NASAg03
i have the $35 from xfinity in the city only for internet. i stream Amazon and hbo and never have problems.
Jack Cheese
AG
Houston is a pilot market for Verizon 5G home service. Google it. They have an address lookup to see if it is available in your area yet (my home in Cypress is not).
GCRanger
AG
We have the Xfinity 60mbps. No problem streaming to multiple devices simultaneously.
Madmarttigan
AG
60 should handle a few devices streaming simultaneously just fine.

If you have security cameras or other stuff it might get slow.
Formerly tv1113
JSKolache
AG
Xfinity 50, streaming tv, 2 thermostats, one outdoor cam, no issues. I started xfinity at 250mb for the teaser year, then dropped to 50mb in year 2. Was worried our usage might push the limits of bandwidth, but now pleasantly surprised. 50 has been just fine.
gougler08
AG
I have the 60 mbps plan and don't have issues streaming on 2 devices + work calls on VOIP. Also normally get around 70 when I do a speed test
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Houston is a pilot market for Verizon 5G home service. Google it. They have an address lookup to see if it is available in your area yet (my home in Cypress is not).
Just FYI on this I'm in Montrose and it's not available at my address yet.
SJEAg
AG
Thinking of cutting the cord and doing internet only and youtube TV...but with xfinity already. Will they offer the 60Mbs to current customers or one of those new customers only BS?
gougler08
AG
SJEAg said:

Thinking of cutting the cord and doing internet only and youtube TV...but with xfinity already. Will they offer the 60Mbs to current customers or one of those new customers only BS?

Just call and threaten to change and they'll get you at a good price point again. Have the other options costed out and available in case they push you
CowtownAg06
AG
I went from UVerse to ATT Fiber a few months ago. I was getting 20 Mb/s on good days with UVerse and now I'm at 120. Price also went from $55/mo to $40/mo.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
aTm2004 said:

I pay $80 with Suddenlink (only provider in my area) for 400/no caps. I'd die if I only had 35mbps.
I believe they are going up to $95/mo in February for the 400 Mbps service. I guess the more folks that cut the cord on the TV service, the more we will have to pay for just internet / streaming.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
TXAG14
How was the install for fiber? Have the opportunity to get it at my house.
CowtownAg06
AG
Very easy. It took a couple of hours but it's been outstanding.
WES2006AG
AG
TXAG14 said:

How was the install for fiber? Have the opportunity to get it at my house.
Had AT&T install a few weeks ago. Other than it taking about 4 hours it wasn't bad. They did have to drill a new hole in the house to run the fiber in.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.