Houston
Sponsored by

NHL to the Tine?

10,625 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr.Bond
ThunderCougarFalconBird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

crazy good ticket packages and very fan friendly prices on concessions/alcohol
You need fans to be "hockey drunk," which costs more than typical "sports fan drunk" unless uncle Tilman is willing to take a hit on some of the margin he'd recover on alcohol sales.
ilikeit
hockey drunk,"
one MEEN Ag
AG
third coast.. said:

i have no idea. i was "seeing" a girl that lived around the corner and my buddy was "seeing" carly. this was as a freshman at cy creek. i sure as hell wish i would have decided that was the crowd i wanted to be in instead of screwing around ha. didnt realize the ways of the world at the time.
That gate at the front of Wincrest Falls is there for a reason. Should have found a reason to stick around that crowd.

Who knows, it could have been Caldwell-Watson-Third Coast Real Estate.
Post removed:
by user
E
AG
Apollos
sockerton
Dallas Stars set to host the Winter Classic at the Cotton Bowl. No mention of an opponent...Maybe holding out for the deal to close for moving the Arizona team to Houston.

https://www.nhl.com/stars/video/stars-to-host-2020-winter-classic/t-277437402/c-64545903

Also, the owner of the Coyotes released a statement this week:

"Recently, you may have read reports about a potential ownership transaction," Cohen wrote. "As I have said for months, we will continue to explore investment opportunities to better assist our team in achieving our long-term goals and organizational vision. This process has at its core one key pre-condition: any investment in our team must be laser-focused on helping the Coyotes achieve a long-term sustainable arena solution here in Arizona.

"Arizona is our home. We love it here. And we love playing for you, the very best fans in the NHL."

Right.....
B$Weigem
AG
Ag 11 said:

Awesome Logo. Would probably have to get away from the Green + Black though b/c of the Stars. Maybe go with the Oilers baby blue?
themissinglink
AG
sockerton said:

Also, the owner of the Coyotes released a statement this week:

"Recently, you may have read reports about a potential ownership transaction," Cohen wrote. "As I have said for months, we will continue to explore investment opportunities to better assist our team in achieving our long-term goals and organizational vision. This process has at its core one key pre-condition: any investment in our team must be laser-focused on helping the Coyotes achieve a long-term sustainable arena solution here in Arizona.

"Arizona is our home. We love it here. And we love playing for you, the very best fans in the NHL."
The dreaded vote of confidence and promise to remain in Arizona.

When do 2020-2021 Houston Aeros tickets go on sale? With Keller, OEL, and Galchenyuk, they have a good young core leading the team that should be ready to compete for a playoff spot during their 1st season in Houston.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
This is all just a pipe dream. They're headed to a bigger hockey market like Regina, Quebec City, or Halifax. Maybe even Red Deer, Alberta.
The Milkman
AG
1bite_Frankie said:

Ag 11 said:

Awesome Logo. Would probably have to get away from the Green + Black though b/c of the Stars. Maybe go with the Oilers baby blue?

Or the ketchup/mustard to keep the Toyota center team theme consistent.

I'd rather the oilers scheme though... more unique for sure.
Post removed:
by user
JYDog90
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Swangers
Purple Dranks
Lean

Houston Slab
FarmerJohn
AG
We lost our minor league team to Iowa. I just don't see how we are major league.
themissinglink
AG
FarmerJohn said:

We lost our minor league team to Iowa. I just don't see how we are major league.
We lost our AHL team because Les Alexander tried to double the rent because he didn't want a hockey team in Toyota Center that he didn't own. It wasn't an attendance issue.

Also, the market for a major league team is different than minor league teams. Less people are interested in watching the JV squad play.
Mr.Bond
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Aeros_(WHA)

Interesting info under history about the merger attempts. I never knew that,just remember hearing about gordie Howe being on the team
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

wasntme
at this point I'd take an AHL team, just bring hockey back to Houston!!
Coog97
themissinglink said:

FarmerJohn said:

We lost our AHL team because Les Alexander tried to double the rent because he didn't want a hockey team in Toyota Center that he didn't own. It wasn't an attendance issue.

Also, the market for a major league team is different than minor league teams. Less people are interested in watching the JV squad play.

This. Les drove 'em out on purpose, just like he blew up the first arena deal years earlier that would've landed Chuck Watson's group an NHL expansion franchise... because he's a petty POS. He never got past losing that NHL bid to the Aeros ownership and the lease situation at Compaq that essentially had the Rockets as tenants to the Aeros'. Just a huge FU to Houston hockey fans, years in the works.
chimpanzee
Coog97 said:

themissinglink said:

FarmerJohn said:

This. Les drove 'em out on purpose, just like he blew up the first arena deal years earlier that would've landed Chuck Watson's group an NHL expansion franchise... because he's a petty POS. He never got past losing that NHL bid to the Aeros ownership and the lease situation at Compaq that essentially had the Rockets as tenants to the Aeros'. Just a huge FU to Houston hockey fans, years in the works.
All in a subsidized arena!

Aeros games were a great value and very entertaining. The skill level isn't on par with the NHL, obviously, but it was still fast paced and hard hitting. Watching live hockey is underrated.

The NHL has teams in Raleigh, Tampa, and Nashville and tried twice and failed both times in Atlanta. AFAIK, the Stars are doing just fine up in Dallas. There's no reason for the fourth largest city and 5th largest MSA couldn't be successful, unless the politicians good ol' boy everybody and the world loses interest.

Now that Tillman controls the lease, I could see there being more of a chance, but it seemed like Alexander thought he was better off bringing in concerts than an NHL franchise, and Tillman might agree.
Frok
AG
Les Alexander was a greedy old man. If you needed any confirmation it happened when he took the freakin Rockets trophies with him.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
We already are too welcoming to yankees. Keep hockey on the tv, send the yankees back and make them take a California person with them.
And dunkin donutz too.
chimpanzee
Milwaukees Best Light said:

We already are too welcoming to yankees. Keep hockey on the tv, send the yankees back and make them take a California person with them.
And dunkin donutz too.

I see hockey as far more Canadian than Yankee. I have no problem with more of America's Hat in the 'tine.

Timmy's > Dunkin
B$Weigem
AG
Any recent news on this?
Seabreeze
Not really, NHL commish said back in May there was no real activity involving Houston getting a team any time soon.
Texaggie7nine
If anyone is interested in scratching their hockey itch tomorrow,

This is a good event for a good charity.

http://houstonburnedchildrensfund.com/index.php/2014-03-14-20-48-38/90-charity-hockey-game

August 24th, 2019
Time: 4-7 P.M.
Aerodrome Ice Complex
8220 Willow Place Dr. North
Houston, TX 77070
Admission: $15/Person
Children under 6 Free.
All proceeds benefit the Houston Burned Children's Fund.
7nine
Mr.Bond
AG
Frok said:

Les Alexander was a greedy old man. If you needed any confirmation it happened when he took the freakin Rockets trophies with him.

Did he really? I knew he kept the comets trophies when he sold them. Does the organization get new ones?
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.