Houston
Sponsored by

NHL to the Tine?

10,612 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Mr.Bond
Mr.Bond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Old article but discussed on PTI today as well. Fertitta has always been an advocate of getting NHL to the space city

https://www-houstonchronicle-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/amp/Next-stop-Houston-Coyotes-to-move-Central-Division-13442429.php?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQHCAFYAYABAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s
Betoisafurry
I hope so, for those who haven't watched a live hockey game you're missing. And no, I'm not Canadian
Post removed:
by user
Mr.Bond
AG
I'm a native of the 3rd coast and think hockey on TV is boring..... In person it's fantastic though. I think we could support it just fine. If Miami and Tampa can, we can. Plus he's trying to fill up Toyota Center as much as possible
redag06
It's the best live sport hands down.
ccolley68
AG
I grew up in DFW and was in elementary school when the Stars moved down there. Went to a handful of games as a kid. I don't understand the nuance of the rules at all, but dammit that's a fun sport to go see in person. They have to do it right though. Bring some fledgling expansion team that sucks for 20 years and it won't survive like the Texans have. Dallas did it right, they moved a well known franchise and they immediately started having success and that filled the seats.
Texaggie7nine
We need NHL here. I trust in Fertitta.
7nine
Post removed:
by user
hockeyag
AG
Houston will be the third largest city in the next census. It has deep pocketed corporations. Unfortunately the hockey community started dying after the Aeros left. In the early 2000s youth hockey was really taking off. In order for the NHL to be successful, the Houston team owner will have to do what Chuck Watson did and build rinks and make the sport accessible to the kids. The population and money are here, if they can commit to building from the grass roots, I think hockey will be successful.
Post removed:
by user
agdaddy04
AG
Wasn't Carly the younger one? Keri was the one my age.

I remember getting front row seats and getting to go down in the locker room after the games. As a jr high kid, that was pretty neat.
agdaddy04
AG
At one time there was a rumor Edmonton was moving the Oilers here but that died pretty quick
Post removed:
by user
tk for tu juan
Quote:

@TSNBobMcKenzie last week: "It's a great market and perfect for the footprint, but the sense seems to be that the government agency that controls the arena in Houston is not at all interested in the NHL, and therefore, Houston won't be on the NHL's radar anytime soon."
The Milkman
AG
ccolley68 said:

I grew up in DFW and was in elementary school when the Stars moved down there. Went to a handful of games as a kid. I don't understand the nuance of the rules at all, but dammit that's a fun sport to go see in person. They have to do it right though. Bring some fledgling expansion team that sucks for 20 years and it won't survive like the Texans have. Dallas did it right, they moved a well known franchise and they immediately started having success and that filled the seats.

Moving a franchise is the only option. There is no room for an expansion team after Vegas last year and Seattle now. Arizona is the team that is most likely to move.
The Milkman
AG
tk for tu juan said:

Quote:

@TSNBobMcKenzie last week: "It's a great market and perfect for the footprint, but the sense seems to be that the government agency that controls the arena in Houston is not at all interested in the NHL, and therefore, Houston won't be on the NHL's radar anytime soon."

Who controls it?
chimpanzee
The Milkman said:

tk for tu juan said:

Quote:

Who controls it?

The story I heard before was that Les Alexander controlled the TC lease, and he had problems with the Aeros dating back to the relationship at the Summit. Effectively, the leasing arrangement was such that it would only make money for the hockey club if Alexander (and presumably now Tillman) wanted to work with them and/or had an interest in the franchise.

But the entity the TSN guy is referring to is probably Harris County Sports Authority, which I wouldn't trust any further than I could throw John McClain.
WES2006AG
AG
The Milkman said:

tk for tu juan said:

Quote:

Who controls it?
https://www.houstonsports.org/facilities/
Mr.Bond
AG
I can almost guarantee you for over 2 billion dollars fertitta got control of the Toyota Center as well. And he's the biggest Advocate and that's who matters
Texaggie7nine
Mr.Bond said:

I can almost guarantee you for over 2 billion dollars fertitta got control of the Toyota Center as well. And he's the biggest Advocate and that's who matters
Yep. I mean who here actually believes that the city of Houston would ever say no to Tillman?
7nine
The Milkman
AG
Tilman could get an NHL team for what will feel like a steal of a price compared to the $2 billion for the rockets.
JJxvi
AG
The idea that an expansion franchise would be guaranteed to suck for 20 years is pretty humorous after last year's NHL season.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I remember getting front row seats and getting to go down in the locker room after the games. As a jr high kid, that was pretty neat.

Correct. When our church bus crashed in Colorado, Watson donated his plane and coordinated with other plane owners to ferry the wounded and their parents to/from Colorado back to Texas.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I will wait until I hear from Doug McKenzie before I weigh in. So, take off you knobs.
The Milkman
AG
JJxvi said:

The idea that an expansion franchise would be guaranteed to suck for 20 years is pretty humorous after last year's NHL season.
The NHL's expansion draft rules are very favorable. I like it. Curious to see if Seattle can do as well as Vegas did so quickly.
jetch17
AG
The coyotes plane has been parked at the Landry's hangar at hobby often throughout the year
Boo Weekley
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

agdaddy04 said:

Correct. When our church bus crashed in Colorado, Watson donated his plane and coordinated with other plane owners to ferry the wounded and their parents to/from Colorado back to Texas.
That is awesome but not surprising at all. Chuck Watson is a good dude by all accounts. Only interned at his company back in the day but all you would hear about was how solid and charitable he was...and he was nice to the little people.
Big Cat `93
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I will wait until I hear from Doug McKenzie before I weigh in. So, take off you knobs.
The Coyotes better sign Jean LaRose when they move here.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Rosie LaRose? I heard he likes to be called that.
jja79
AG
Chuck is one of the owners at our country club and has always been really nice. Refreshing when someone who doesn't have to be nice is nice.

I've been watching some NHL on TV lately. I'd like to see it.
drwong
AG
if Tillman doesn't want to pay the repeater portion of the luxury tax or even use this year's mid level exception to help a team that is under .500, i'm skeptical he shells out to bring an NHL team to Houston.
Texaggie7nine
http://www.fox10phoenix.com/sports/sources-say-houston-rockets-owner-fertitta-met-with-nhl-commissioner
7nine
Martin Q. Blank
Don't have NHL, but we're getting XFL.

Bone6
In addition to it being a great sport to watch live, it's also an incredibly fun sport to play for those of you who've enjoyed watching it live.

Biz Ag
AG
There are 31 teams in the NHL. Room for an 8th team in the Central Division with the Stars, Blackhawks, Blues, etc.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.