Houston
Sponsored by

Meyerland area

2,400 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jakelew04
Legett79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My daughter works downtown and is wanting to buy a house in the 77096 area code just west of Meyerland Plaza. I'm not familiar with Houston so I need some advice. Is this area safe? I looked up crime statistics listed on HPD web site. Lots of theft but I suspect that's normal for anywhere in Houston metro. She currently lives in Rosenberg and is tired of commute.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Panama Red
AG
Very safe area

I would recommend looking outside the area for a lender.
Liquid Wrench
I can't imagine choosing to commute from Rosenberg instead of Meyerland if Meyerland is an option.

If she has school aged children, she'll need to do more research, of course.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Great area, easy to get downtown and out of town. Meyerland Plaza south to the bayou (really to Rutherglenn or so) got hit pretty hard during Harvey. A lot (most?) of westbury made it through the flooding unscathed so she might consider moving her search south of Willowbend and north of Bellfort, crazy amount of inventory right now and prices are the lowest I've seen in years. If school zoning is not a concern, prices get even better west of Hillcroft and south of willowbend and it's still a great neighborhood.

edit: as for safety, just steer clear of meyerland plaza and the ghetto-ass kroger and she'll be fine
tmas
AG
I live in Meyerland. It's a great community. Everything got hit during Harvey, but the prior floods hit those areas south of the bayou more than north of the bayou. With the recent bayou work and the hopes that Harvey was a once in a lifetime event, flooding shouldn't be as big a concern (but buy flood insurance).

Schools are good flowing into Bellaire HS.

When buying you have to watch for flippers that took a flooded home and are trying to turn a quick profit. If her budget is 7 figures then a new new built home is an option.

Best of luck!
nonameag99
Beware of flooding
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Waltonloads08
AG
https://www.floodsmart.gov/
Wiggletrace
AG
We live in Meyerland as well. It is a fantastic neighborhood, and absolutely love it (even though we flooded during Harvey).

The only part of Meyerland i would completely avoid is the NE corner of the section south of the bayou (adjacent South Post Oak overpass). That is, by far, the area most prone to flooding.

Check out the CLOMR maps for Project Brays for some guidance.

As far as safety, the only part of the neighborhood that gets some break-ins on a regular basis is the area right across Chimney Rock from the apartments. Other than that, no issues as all. We have a contract with Precinct 5 Constable to patrol the neighborhood. When you get west of Chimney Rock, things change...

We have a 4 year old and a 3 year old and we are zoned to Kolter. North of the Bayou is zoned to Lovett. Both are great elementary schools, relatively speaking and feed into Bellaire High School.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

We have a contract with Precinct 5 Constable to patrol the neighborhood
Westbury also has a contract w/ Pct 5. Don't know the exact boundaries of all the subdivisions, but it at least goes down to W. Bellfort and Hillcroft.
Wiggletrace
Teddy Perkins
AG
We've lived in Meyerland for over 5 years. It is a very safe neighborhood but you will run into the usual suspects that steal from unlocked cars, grab packages off of porches, etc. Same as in the rest of Houston. Zoned to Kolter and they should be breaking ground on the new elementary school soon (estimated to be completed by early 2020). My kids are in the transplant school (Gordon elementary) and actually like the huge wide open play area more than the old Kolter. We are far enough south from the bayou that we did not flood in any of the three big storms. Our street gets together for Halloween, Neighbors Night Out, wine club, book club and poker night. It's a very tight knit community with beautiful mature oaks lining the streets. My commute downtown averages just under 30 minutes during peak traffic and about 15 minutes with no traffic.
Wiggletrace
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

We've lived in Meyerland for over 5 years. It is a very safe neighborhood but you will run into the usual suspects that steal from unlocked cars, grab packages off of porches, etc. Same as in the rest of Houston. Zoned to Kolter and they should be breaking ground on the new elementary school soon (estimated to be completed by early 2020). My kids are in the transplant school (Gordon elementary) and actually like the huge wide open play area more than the old Kolter. We are far enough south from the bayou that we did not flood in any of the three big storms. Our street gets together for Halloween, Neighbors Night Out, wine club, book club and poker night. It's a very tight knit community with beautiful mature oaks lining the streets. My commute downtown averages just under 30 minutes during peak traffic and about 15 minutes with no traffic.
Exactly.

What street are you on Teddy? We are on Queensloch, west of Contour.
Teddy Perkins
AG
We are down on Lymbar.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Lived there in high school and my parents are still there. Great area. A lot of the houses are bing torn down and rebuilt. Only problem is potential flooding issues with the older homes.
Legett79
AG
Thanks for all of the info. Makes me feel a little better about the area.
Texags community is the best .
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ragoo
AG
My grandfather lives on Rutherglenn west of hilcroft and has never flooded. Been there since 1963.
AgLiving06
We need to do a Meyerland/Westbury meet up at some point. Maybe all the people that Diggity was the realtor for haha.
Wiggletrace
AG
AgLiving06 said:

We need to do a Meyerland/Westbury meet up at some point. Maybe all the people that Diggity was the realtor for haha.

This is a great idea. In, and will help if needed.
jh0400
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I'm in.
Liquid Wrench
Ragoo said:

My grandfather lives on Rutherglenn west of hilcroft and has never flooded. Been there since 1963.

Good thing he's West of Hillcroft. I hear creepy things about a guy that lives just East of Hillcroft on that street. Weird stuff.
DantheAggie
AG
In on the get together
aTm_bomb
AG
Cozy Corner seems appropriate.

jh0400 said:

AgLiving06 said:

I'm in.
Wiggletrace
AG
Hunter's is an option also...

I wouldn't mind hosting depending on how many folks we end up having so that kids can join...

Diggity
AG
I would be happy to sponsor a get together for the Westbury/Meyerland folk.

Lil Woodrows, Red River or Hunters Pub would be good spots. Hopefully the new place in Meyer Plaza will be open soon enough because we're hurting for good bars.

Holidays are coming up soon but we could shoot for early December.
Wiggletrace
AG
Diggity said:

I would be happy to sponsor a get together for the Westbury/Meyerland folk.

Lil Woodrows, Red River or Hunters Pub would be good spots. Hopefully the new place in Meyer Plaza will be open soon enough because we're hurting for good bars.

Holidays are coming up soon but we could shoot for early December.

Wait, there's a new place going in in Meyerland Plaza?

Good Bull. Let me know if I can help.
Jackal99
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Ragoo said:

Good thing he's West of Hillcroft. I hear creepy things about a guy that lives just East of Hillcroft on that street. Weird stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for this creep.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Rule 1!
Diggity
AG
Sorry. I think it's called Meyer Park. Near Fuzzys Tacos and Fuddruckers.
jakelew04
AG
I'm in
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.