Houston
Sponsored by

Lamar HS Student Shot Outside of School

7,349 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ragoo
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am not sure how much impact magnet programs have had, as I can see many sides of it. And I believe a well run magnet type program can actually improve and benefit some schools. It's not exactly the best example, but for several years Booker T Washington High School for example drew in a good amount of decent magnet school students from surrounding areas to their Engineering program, which frankly almost seems like a minor miracle that that was even possible (not saying its a perfect solution either, since the realities of it still led to a highly segregated campus environment).

However, I do think that it would be nicer to to tie area schools more closely to their neighborhoods. It's a small thing, but for example, I think that Reagan High in the very long term will gain a real benefit from being Heights High School as a result of the whole confederacy witch hunt from the past couple years. It creates a tie to the neighborhood that maybe didnt exist in the eyes of transplants and former out-of-towners with less historical knowledge about school and neighborhood.,
drumboy
AG
When residents in affluent areas don't fill the schools due to sending their kids to private schools or not having school age kids, they're either going to rezone the school or fill it with magnet kids from usually lower income areas.

Then you have schools like the one we're zoned to in Timbergove that's > 90% ESL & financial assistance yet it sits in a nice part of the Heights.
Worm01
AG
MAROON said:

chico said:

he's saying that plenty of ambitious, smart kids leave their neighborhood schools to go magnet at Lamar etc and leave their neighborhood schools in worse shape with their absence. Nothing against you or others like you.

exactly. Read the article I linked.
There's two ways to look at it:

1) The magnet programs pull the best kids out of their neighborhoods. That hurts the neighborhood schools because every year, the top 20% or more of their students transfer out, leaving the bottom percentage. How does that school ever improve? How are they incentivized to improve kids if those kids will just turn around and leave?

2) If you have a kid that is zoned to a crappy school, but they are high performing and can get into a better school, what do you do when the District tells you they are cancelling the transfers and keeping everyone at their neighborhood schools? Do you accept that fate, and just let your kid go back to Sterling/Madison/Worthing, or do you move to the suburbs, go to charter school, or take another alternative? Reality is, if the District stopped the magnet programs that result in transfers, the District would lose many of those high performing kids altogether? How does that help anyone?

Also, how do you tell a kid that has a chance to improve their situation that you are taking away that opportunity for them because it will help a bunch of other kids with less opportunity? History will tell you the presence of high-performing kids doesn't improve the low-performing kids as much as it drags down the high-performing kids. Teachers are incentivized to focus on the low-performing kids which leads to them ignoring the high-performing ones. I've even heard a Trustee ask why they should spend any more resources on high-performing kids because "those kids are already doing ok". What kind of attitude is that?

The obsession in HISD (which, to be fair is partially forced on them from the state level) with making everyone "equal" is why this District continues to tank.
Shoopy
Many of the transfers aren't even academic based, but across racial lines. Look at the Demographics for Sterling and Yates. Most of the transfers out are hispanic, and tranfers in are AA. The hispanic kids aren't transferring to magnet programs. They are transferring to Chavez, Austin, and Milby.

Madison kind of accepted their fate that they are becoming a majority hispanic school. Most people don't realize Madison is 60% hispanic now, even many of their outspoken alumni and community members. There is a push to "keep Madison black", so we'll see how that affects the school over the next few years.
bigjag19
AG
Unlike the other rich as **** parts of this state, River Oaks is stuck in a massive district. So all kids just about go private.
dds08
AG
All this is just sad!

This country has been in existence since 1776 and they still haven't gotten this "education" thing.

Standardized Testing
Competitive Schools
No unity in what to put in history books
Infighting in the school board
Segregation in schools, racism
The list goes on and on.....

Only prayer to God Himself can fix this dumpster fire.
fairrobh
AG
https://www.houstonpress.com/news/whats-wrong-with-wheatley-6570922

This is an article written in 1997... very interesting look at one of the unfortunate drawbacks of school integration.

I graduated from Sharpstown in 1980. Sent 2 daughters to Bellaire (where we are zoned) and 1 to HSPVA. I wouldn't trade their educations and great experiences for anything. All three are Ags. Two are former students and the youngest graduates in May. All three were prepared very well for A&M, with 20+ dual and AP credits and great SAT/ACT scores.

It is crazy to think if everyone zoned to Lamar and Bellaire actually attended there as opposed to private schools. Think of the average SAT scores, sports success, etc.
chimpanzee
I still don't get the whole idea that a public school teacher/administrator is supposed to take up the slack of a failed upbringing and jam an education into a kid to make him a productive member of society.
Al Bula
AG
chimpanzee said:

I still don't get the whole idea that a public school teacher/administrator is supposed to take up the slack of a failed upbringing and jam an education into a kid to make him a productive member of society.
What?! You don't follow the Hollywood historical blueprints for improving education uptake? I'm talking about the biographical documentaries like The Principal, Dangerous Minds and Lean On Me.
RK
AG
don't forget Summer School.
chimpanzee
RK said:

don't forget Summer School.

That was some inspirational stuff there. The dude that went "to the restroom" for the entire movie and aced the retest at the end is a case study on how to deal with bureaucracy.
RK
AG
it also taught us that it's okay to bang your students.
chimpanzee
RPM said:

chimpanzee said:

What?! You don't follow the Hollywood historical blueprints for improving education uptake? I'm talking about the biographical documentaries like The Principal, Dangerous Minds and Lean On Me.
They just need to know that someone cares!

People with means and motivation vote with their feet. If you can only afford to live in the neighborhoods zoned to horrible schools, more likely than not, you have made some poor life choices, among them, having children before you can afford to live outside of Aldine.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

So now Lamar is this mega school such that many of the taxpayers that are actually zoned to that school will not send their children there.

And I guarandamntee you that most of them are good progressives that would lecture every damn one of us how diversity is required everywhere and that we are all racists.
CDUB98
AG
chimpanzee said:

And I regret that I only have one blue star to give this.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

People with means and motivation vote with their feet. If you can only afford to live in the neighborhoods zoned to horrible schools, more likely than not, you have made some poor life choices, among them, having children before you can afford to live outside of Aldine
Was this comment posted by a Houstonian?
chimpanzee
ChiliBeans said:

Quote:

People with means and motivation vote with their feet. If you can only afford to live in the neighborhoods zoned to horrible schools, more likely than not, you have made some poor life choices, among them, having children before you can afford to live outside of Aldine
Was this comment posted by a Houstonian?

One that's stockpiling the means until the motivation strikes. Schools aren't bad in my neck of the swamp at the moment either.
drumboy
AG
chimpanzee said:

RPM said:

chimpanzee said:

People with means and motivation vote with their feet. If you can only afford to live in the neighborhoods zoned to horrible schools, more likely than not, you have made some poor life choices, among them, having children before you can afford to live outside of Aldine.
Check your privilege, bro.
chimpanzee
drumboy said:

chimpanzee said:

RPM said:

chimpanzee said:

I have, and it's quite nice!
Ragoo
AG
chimpanzee said:

drumboy said:

chimpanzee said:

RPM said:

chimpanzee said:

I have, and it's quite nice!

okay, stop monkeying around
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.