Houston
Sponsored by

Lamar HS Student Shot Outside of School

7,346 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ragoo
Good Poster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Third gun related death involving Lamar HS students this week.
Furlock Bones
AG
Damn.
Waltonloads08
AG
HPD suspects gang related killing.

The murder-suicide last week was two "best friends" (lovers?)
Bigballin
AG
The hood is encroaching on river oaks
Liquid Wrench
That's been the case at Lamar for a long time.
george07
AG
Yeah this isn't anything new. I graduated from Lamar in 2003 and it definitely has nothing in common with the neighborhood around it. Wouldn't trade my time there for the world though, I enjoyed my 4 years there thoroughly.
88jrt06
AG
ChiliBeans said:

That's been the case at Lamar for a long time.

Well, yeah, since about 1972.
Your Friend
What ****ty area is zoned to Lamar?
ccolley68
AG
Your Friend said:

I don't know where they draw their students from, but I drove by yesterday as they were letting out for the day and it didn't look like their were a whole lot of River Oaks residents who were students there, unless it's from the servants and groundskeepers kids of those River Oaks manors.
JSKolache
AG
Is it still a magnet program location? Used to have kids from all over various ghettos.
Liquid Wrench
Attendance rules are different than when most of us old people were in high school. There are a variety of ways kids attend outside of their zones today. More than half of Lamar's enrollment is from outside its zone.

Have fun with this if you ever get really bored/curious: https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/110554
MAROON
AG
HISD really has ruined multiple neighborhood schools with their ridiculous magnet program (yes I know it was created to appease a federal judge).

Lamar is the high school in HISD, along with Bellaire. Everyone is trying to get in those schools. So what has happened is that its killed the other HISD high schools (Yates, Jones, Worthing, Madison, etc. etc.).

Now you can argue all day about the merits of those schools, but they are neighborhood schools and the local area took great pride in them. Yates was a huge symbol of pride for that area with their outstanding athletic programs.

So now Lamar is this mega school such that many of the taxpayers that are actually zoned to that school will not send their children there.

Mr.Ackar07
ChiliBeans said:

Attendance rules are different than when most of us old people were in high school. There are a variety of ways kids attend outside of their zones today. More than half of Lamar's enrollment is from outside its zone.

Have fun with this if you ever get really bored/curious: https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/110554
It amazed me how many of those high schools list less than 20 white students among the population.
88jrt06
AG
Your Friend said:

Ever see the hundreds of ****ty apartments directly across W. Alabama from the school? ("Soufside").
Basically Bama/Richmond/Bammel/Edloe area. We can start there.

btw: Didn't realize the first two deaths were a murder-suicide, per news. That could be very different from all the gang speculation...
chico
AG
MAROON said:

HISD really has ruined multiple neighborhood schools with their ridiculous magnet program (yes I know it was created to appease a federal judge).

Lamar is the high school in HISD, along with Bellaire. Everyone is trying to get in those schools. So what has happened is that its killed the other HISD high schools (Yates, Jones, Worthing, Madison, etc. etc.).

Now you can argue all day about the merits of those schools, but they are neighborhood schools and the local area took great pride in them. Yates was a huge symbol of pride for that area with their outstanding athletic programs.

So now Lamar is this mega school such that many of the taxpayers that are actually zoned to that school will not send their children there.

I agree with you on the residual issues to non-optimal schools. I'd add HSPVA, Carnegie and DeBakey to your sought-after list of high schools.
88jrt06
AG
MAROON said:

You made some good points in your post, but as an "old" who started at HISD in the 1970s, I can tell you (as a former jock who played away games) that Yates, Jones, Kashmere, Davis, Washington, Lincoln, Sterling and Worthing were all very high-crime, dangerous schools with poor academics. Non-whites who could were getting the hell out. This was happening before the magnet decision. Wheatley and Yates did have a strong community history (and periodically at least Yates does improve). Madison and Milby were really the last of the "trending minority" schools to crap out, IMO. Shortly after, the former "majority" collapse followed: Westbury, Lee and Sharpstown. That basically left designated magnets, Lamar and Bellaire. Lamar fizzled for a long time -fell way behind Bellaire- but has made some strong strides over the last decade or so w/IBB, etc.. Bellaire, OTOH, has deteriorated, thanks to the massive Gulfton barrio "dreamers" influx.

tl;dr: All the other HISD schools were in BIG trouble way before the magnet phenomenon. They still are, btw.
My old gf lied to get out of attending Madison!
NoahAg
MAROON said:

I know, right? How dare those poor folk try to get their kids into a better, safer school.
MAROON
AG
NoahAg said:

MAROON said:

I know, right? How dare those poor folk try to get their kids into a better, safer school.
how about they make all the schools better and safer? Over half the kids at Lamar don't reside in its zone - and over half the kids who live in the Lamar zone don't go there because its over populated, under staffed, and not a very good education.
MAROON
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/education/article/School-choice-favors-HISD-campuses-in-whiter-12805363.php

interesting article.
george07
AG
Quote:

I was in the magnet program at Lamar. It's very competitive and I had excellent grades in middle school to be able to get accepted. The magnet kids earned their spot at Lamar and are not the reason for any trouble. Obviously I did well at Lamar, as I was accepted to A&M. Lay your blame elsewhere.
rosco511
AG
george07 said:

Quote:

I was in the magnet program at Lamar. It's very competitive and I had excellent grades in middle school to be able to get accepted. The magnet kids earned their spot at Lamar and are not the reason for any trouble. Obviously I did well at Lamar, as I was accepted to A&M. Lay your blame elsewhere.

I could be misinterpreting but I do not think the poster is saying the magnet kids are necessarily the problems at Lamar. The poster is saying the magnet kids leaving the schools they are zoned to have caused all of those schools to be terrible and leaving Lamar and Bellaire as the only good schools.
chico
AG
he's saying that plenty of ambitious, smart kids leave their neighborhood schools to go magnet at Lamar etc and leave their neighborhood schools in worse shape with their absence. Nothing against you or others like you.
MAROON
AG
chico said:

he's saying that plenty of ambitious, smart kids leave their neighborhood schools to go magnet at Lamar etc and leave their neighborhood schools in worse shape with their absence. Nothing against you or others like you.

exactly. Read the article I linked.
MAS444
AG
Speak for yourselves. I blame the magnet kids.
Diggity
AG
Magnet didn't kill those high schools. Shifting demographics did.
george07
AG
Ok my apologies I misunderstood. I was zoned to sharpstown, but it was terrible many years before I was in high school. My mom went to sharpstown in the early 70s though and it was still good then.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
I sincerely feel for the family losing a loved one.....

But play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Quote:

De'Lindsey's father, Dwight Mack, says the images his son posted on social media and the interactions he had may have led the wrong crowd to think his son was in a gang. He believes that may have been why the murder happened.

Dwight and his brother were flanked by their pastor on Monday as they gave a somber warning to parents about checking your kids' social media accounts, saying "this social media is a monster."

"If you don't get into your kids' social media pages, you'll be where I am," Dwight said. "For older parents and younger parents, aunts and uncles, kids with cell phones and social media pages, be on them, be in there."

De'Lindsey's family says he posted pictures that seemed to suggest he was involved in a life that was tough.

For instance, De'Lindsey apparently posted pictures with his father's gun and money from his father's business to make it look as though the high school senior was living a life of a gang member.

His family says he was not in a gang, but the comments he made and the interactions he had online with real gang members spiraled out of control.

"Looking at his Instagram page, it was an alternative persona. He presented himself to be someone who, anyone who knew him, knew not to be true. He was not a gangster," Dwight said.
drumboy
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

I sincerely feel for the family losing a loved one.....

But play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Quote:

De'Lindsey's father, Dwight Mack, says the images his son posted on social media and the interactions he had may have led the wrong crowd to think his son was in a gang. He believes that may have been why the murder happened.

Dwight and his brother were flanked by their pastor on Monday as they gave a somber warning to parents about checking your kids' social media accounts, saying "this social media is a monster."

"If you don't get into your kids' social media pages, you'll be where I am," Dwight said. "For older parents and younger parents, aunts and uncles, kids with cell phones and social media pages, be on them, be in there."

De'Lindsey's family says he posted pictures that seemed to suggest he was involved in a life that was tough.

For instance, De'Lindsey apparently posted pictures with his father's gun and money from his father's business to make it look as though the high school senior was living a life of a gang member.

His family says he was not in a gang, but the comments he made and the interactions he had online with real gang members spiraled out of control.

"Looking at his Instagram page, it was an alternative persona. He presented himself to be someone who, anyone who knew him, knew not to be true. He was not a gangster," Dwight said.

Posting pics on the gram with a gun and some cash shouldn't get you killed. Yes, it's dumb, but there are a few notches between the level of game & prize here.
YellAg2004
AG
Quote:

You're point is valid, but I don't think he was killed over one or two pics. I'm guessing the comments on those pics and his DMs are much more of the reason he got gunned down.
Liquid Wrench
Acevedo has said there is "gang war" going on right now and implied a connection between this shooting and one at the gas station on Cullen and 610 where two homies got gunned down sitting in their car.

If true, this kid might have made the wrong comments to the wrong people at the really wrong time, thinking he was ****ing with other kids playing around like himself.
Al Bula
AG
So the kid was a poser and not a gangsta at all?
MAROON
AG
my understanding is the area the kid was hanging out is not an area that is prone to attract the straight A students, it was off campus and a known area where illegal activities can take place. If he was wannabee it sounds like he was working as hard as he could to become a legit gangster.....and I guess in a sad way, he finally achieved that level by how he died.
Liquid Wrench
Someone made him famous.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Like Amos?
tamuags08
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

ChiliBeans said:

It amazed me how many of those high schools list less than 20 white students among the population.

Dave Chappelle: You'll be walking down the street and you'll see a bunch of black dudes walking, not just any old black dudes, we're talking 'thugs'. And in the group, they got one, or two, sometimes as many as three white guys with them, you ever seen that ***** Well let me tell you something about those white guys. Those white guys are the most dangerous mother****ers in them groups. it's true, man. there's no telling what kind of crazy **** they've done to get them black dudes respect, but i'll tell you they've done some wild *****
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.