Houston
Sponsored by

Interesting map of what might have been

4,096 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BohunkAg
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like learning about Texas and Houston history. In light of the Harvey conspiracies and finger pointing, I thought I would share a map and report I recently came across for the dams originally planned for the the Kingwood/Lake Houston basin. I can't imagine how much fishing I would have done as a kid if all of these had been built.

http://www.sjra.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/SJRA-Master-Plan-Report-1950s.pdf
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
MouthBQ98
AG
My old house might be in one of those cypress creek lakes
HumbleAg04
AG
Love how Camp Strake was a landmark in the map. RIP.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Yeah. There are a number of small towns listed that no longer exist.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
can someone do a layover or drop pins where towns are

TIA
W
AG
glad they never did the Caney Creek dam
P.H. Dexippus
AG
That East Fork Dam No. 0 would have created a lake twice the size of Lake Houston with an elevation crest about 30' higher than the current lake.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Ragoo
AG
Would be awesome to have more lakes.
agdaddy04
AG
W said:

glad they never did the Caney Creek dam

Why?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
So...does this make it it SJRA's fault that Kingwood flooded?
jpd301
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

TIA

And I was most interested in those two Cypress Creek lakes so here's that area in more detail.

JSKolache
AG
As much as my folks would love lake Cut N Shoot, those Cy Creek dams shoulda been priority #1
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Interestingly, the report actually called for Lake Dobbin to the first built, not sure what changed.
BQ_90
AG
man they wanted to turn Montgomery county into Minnesota didn't they.
62strat
AG
jpd301 said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

TIA

And I was most interested in those two Cypress Creek lakes so here's that area in more detail.

Right at the very tip of the western damn shown here, is a white building/roof top.. that is Keuhnle elem.. In the 90s I lived about 1/8 mile due west. We would have had lake front property!
BohunkAg
AG
Part of where the San Jacinto dams are is Lake Conroe. That whole area of Montgomery County is a giant flood plain where they've built a sh-tload of housing though (the Lake Creek area)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.