Houston
Sponsored by

Pinkerton's Barbecue on Airline

5,361 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Jack Cheese
BBRex
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hadn't seen anything about this place until a friend mentioned it this week. Tried it tonight. Good brisket, but maybe not Corkscrew. The turkey and ribs are solid. The duck and sausage jambalaya, the jalapeo cheese rice and blueberry cobbler are all really good. Has anyone else been.
LeftyAg89
AG
Quite a few posts out there mentioning Pinkertons. Forum search is your friend :-)
BBRex
AG
I've been a little busy lately, so I'm behind on my Texags reading. I'm sure I could have done a better search, but here's what I got:

H.Verwoerd
bet the OP weighs about 3 bils.
BBRex
AG
Nope, only around two but with a little paunch and a Lipitor prescription.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I love Pinkerton's. I rate it it about where I rate Roegels and Gatlins. 2nd tier, but really effing good. I'd say killens, corkscrew and pitroom Make the first tier above them.

Really like Pinkerton's sides.
Smokedraw01
FtBendTxAg said:

I love Pinkerton's. I rate it it about where I rate Roegels and Gatlins. 2nd tier, but really effing good. I'd say killens, corkscrew and pitroom Make the first tier above them.

Roegel's is not second tier.
Jdrexgman
AG
Pinkerton's ribs are some of the best in the city imo
jja79
AG
Haven't tried Pinkerton's but was in the area of Gatlin's Thursday so I stopped in. Ordered moist brisket but it was very dry. Not a good experience. Is it worth another try?
terradactylexpress
Gatlins is not
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Their Ribs imo are great. The rest is above average. Every time I've been there though the line moves very well and the associates working their are solid. I watched some people in front of me get the chopped beef sandwich which is not a go to for me on most instances but after seeing it I tried it the next visit. That bread is awesome that they make there.

I think Gaitlins is ok if it's the only option or you're meeting a group there, but I put it on par with C&J bbq in CS. People way over hype that place.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

FtBendTxAg said:

Then it's tier one. It's one of my favorite joints in town. Where do you rate it? I wasn't calling it 2nd rate. And if you think it's worse, then I don't know what to tell you.
Al Bula
AG
There was a piece about Pinkertons on 13 this morning as part of some new ABC news localized program airing on Facebook, most of it looks like garbage. This is the same nonsense online channel that profiled Breakfast Klub a few weeks ago and advocated standing in line for hours is a good idea.
htxag09
AG
Jdrexgman said:

I'll agree with this but everything else was meh. Brisket was cooked well but the flavor was off. Turkey was dry.

Had Gatlins last night the brisket was dry, ribs were terrible, sausage was dry, turkey and sides were pretty solid, though.
drumboy
AG
Select forum search and there are some results.
Smokedraw01
FtBendTxAg said:

Smokedraw01 said:

FtBendTxAg said:

Then it's tier one. It's one of my favorite joints in town. Where do you rate it? I wasn't calling it 2nd rate. And if you think it's worse, then I don't know what to tell you.

It's one of the best BBQ places I've been to and I've been to a lot of them. Their ribs, pork belly, and pulled pork are some of the best I've ever had. And they have really good sides instead of the generic bull*****
FtBendTxAg
AG
Agree. their pulled pork is the best in town. And those greens.. the best BBQ side in h-tine. And on a good day their brisket is among the best. I eat it so often, I notice some pretty drastic changes in quality some days. Maybe this is normal.
LRHF
AG
I cook damn good bbq but never hesitate to come here! As noted, ribs are out of this world and brisket can be different day to day any place you go. Perhaps there are places that are better but none near where I live! I'd recommend this place all day long!
ElCheAg
AG
$20 per lb of brisket seems a bit high IMO.
TXAG 05
AG
ElCheAg said:

$20 per lb of brisket seems a bit high IMO.

That's pretty standard now. For reference, Rudy's is $17/lb and Franklin charges $25/lb.
Farmer1906
AG
Jdrexgman said:

I love their ribs.
JustPanda
AG
Grant went to Lamar
LeftyAg89
AG
BBRex....

Ciboag96
Not a fan of ribs that fall off the bone. Sign of boiling. Like to chew the rib meat off the bone. Guess it's the Neanderthal in me.
Farmer1906
AG

The way you know if it is cooked right is if you take a bite and it looks like this. The meat didn't all fall off because its too tender and the meat didn't get ripped off because it was too tough. You only want the very slight pull.
Liquid Wrench
LeftyAg89 said:

BBRex....

Who ****ing cares? A thread about an individual establishment is a lot easier to read than the semi-regular "Best of" foodie debates.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
next time yall go, get the Duck Jumbalaya as a side. I had it this weekend, and it was really tasty.
redag06
Most of the quality places are now using Prime Brisket, hence the $/lb.

Now there are others out there not using prime brisket and just using the competition as a reason to charge 20/lb.

drumboy
AG
They have some $1 beers on Thursdays.
DavidAg02
Beavers doesn't get enough love on here. Watched a FB game there a few weeks ago and their brisket was on point. I'd say among the best I've had in Houston.
David Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop! Houston, TX
Liquid Wrench
Thought yall would be interested in knowing that I tried the Pit Room today and it was very good. Brisket with venison pepper sausage. Did not require any sauce, but tried the sauce anyway and was extra tangy and smoky. Also liked the grilled okra side, and the pickles at the fixings table. Would go back on a good weather day when sitting outside feels reasonable, since the inside was pretty crowded even for a late lunch.
rosco511
AG
redag06 said:

Most of the quality places are now using Prime Brisket, hence the $/lb.

Now there are others out there not using prime brisket and just using the competition as a reason to charge 20/lb.

And due to the cost of the prime brisket, BBQ places do not really make a profit on the brisket. They are close to breaking even on the brisket and look to the other meats and sides to make a profit.
Aggie Rick
AG
Pinkertons is fantastic. Recommend people check it out.
Jack Cheese
AG
Just had Pinkerton's for the first time. I swear some of y'all are smoking crack. Pinkerton's is fantastic.

That brisket was as good as any I've had - including roegels, corkscrew, and la barbecue in Austin.
Cyprian
AG
I used to work within driving distance, great ribs.

Tejas chocolate factory is my favorite tho - up in Tomball. Corkscrew is great too. My top 3 for the Houston area.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.