Houston
Sponsored by

Please Don't Vote Straight Ticket

5,338 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Mose Schrute
Teddy Perkins
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you haven't voted yet, please don't vote straight ticket. If you do, there are a lot of good judges that will be replaced by less skilled and experienced candidates. Party affiliation for the judiciary is not a good indicator of how the judge will perform their duties. This article sums up my thoughts on this. Vote411 is a good source to review the candidates and the Houston Bar Association's poll on the judicial positions up for election are a good indicator from lawyers that actually practice in front of these judges.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I generally agree not to vote straight ticket if not educated on all the races, but which good judges are you worried will be replaced? It was a slaughter for qualified Republican judges in 2016.
Flashdiaz
AG
while I agree to your sentiment of being an informed voter, your subject is for those that vote straight ticket which is the laziest thing to do besides not vote.
The Milkman
AG
What percentage of the leaders from the HBA's poll and the other endorsements are republican vs democrat?
Liquid Wrench
All of the incumbent judges on the countywide ballot are Republican. Most, but not all of them came out ahead in the judicial preference poll. The OP's comment seems to be geared towards people who may be considering voting straight ticket Democrat.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
Voted straight ticket Republican for the first time in my adult life and don't feel a bit bad about it. Democrats have gone completely nuts and deserve to get hammered, regardless of the office sought. Too bad I live in Harris County.
The Wonderer
AG
The Milkman said:

What percentage of the leaders from the HBA's poll and the other endorsements are republican vs democrat?
What does it matter? The Preference Poll is not indicative of HBA endorsement; they are merely the organization that runs the poll. The judiciary is about the only real place I see people regularly cross party lines. I also think having a partisan judiciary is pretty dumb because people just get blinded by the Rs and Ds, but Texas does a lot of dumb things as of late.
randy828
AG
I did not vote straight ticket and the only judge I know and voted for was the family judge who I have had to go in front of.

Twice I won without using a lawyer...a judge that actually used common sense and reading comprehension..unlike the lawyer I argued against. So I think highly of that judge and voted for that person.

Most of the other judges I didn't have a clue, so usually went Republican.
Gap
AG
Since the democrat party went absolutely insane, isn't an R next to their name the biggest endorsement a candidate can have? Are there Libertarian judges that I need to consider?
David_Puddy
AG
hodgesco said:

Voted straight ticket Republican for the first time in my adult life and don't feel a bit bad about it. Democrats have gone completely nuts and deserve to get hammered, regardless of the office sought. Too bad I live in Harris County.

Same
Texaggie7nine
I did not go straight ticket.

I voted R for the Cruz race and all the other races that did not have a L candidate.
The Milkman
AG
Straight ticket R this morning.
Boo Weekley
Eh, nvmd.
TP Ag '87
AG
Too late.
MAS444
AG
Like most other decisions, I vote based on who Texags tell me to.
Samuel E. Cronkowitz
AG
Straight ticket R yesterday afternoon.
InnerCityAg
I straight donkey punched that thing this morning.
94chem
InnerCityAg said:

I straight donkey punched that thing this morning.
Username checks out.
94chem
My good friend and fellow UNC grad Jesse McClure is running as a Republican for 182nd district court. He and his wife recently adopted twin infants, and Jesse is a no-nonsense conservative who has been on the front lines both as a prosecutor and as a family man dealing with the "system." Although it shouldn't matter, he is a bit of a unicorn as an African-American Republican.
Jock 07
AG
not voting straight R is how ****ty down ballot ds get elected.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Jock 07 said:

Sadly it's not that simple. Down ballot Ds get elected because Harris County has turned blue. It shows when there's someone at the top of the ticket that gets their juices flowing, ie- Hillary, Barack. The question will be if Beto does the same thing for them. I suspect that local races will not be pretty.
The Wonderer
AG
Jock 07 said:

Straight ticket voting is how ****ty people down ballot get elected period. Vote for the person, not the party.
BMX Bandit
Jock 07 said:

Who?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I won't be naming names but there are more than a few on the bench. I think there is a lot of truth to the 2017 bar poll results, at least with regards to the Civil District courts.
Tom Hagen
AG
Quote:

The question will be if Beto does the same thing for them. I suspect that local races will not be pretty.

I don't see minorities falling over themselves to vote for Beta. His biggest supporters are white Millennials and wealthy white stay at home wives.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I hope you're right. But there have been record turnouts in many of the minority-population polling locations.
Texan_Aggie
AG
I voted for Ed Emmett because it is fun to continue to vote to tear down the Dome and have him single-handedly disregard the outcome.
AGHouston11
AG
Texan_Aggie said:

I voted for Ed Emmett because it is fun to continue to vote to tear down the Dome and have him single-handedly disregard the outcome.

I didn't vote straight ticket Republican. Ed Emmett said he was voting for a democrat in a state wide race. So I voted all Republican except him and also one other candidate that he fully endorsed who is just like him.

He is self entitled establishment that needs to go.
aduey06
Dont vote for George p bush.
FCBlitz
Live in Ft Bend. Voted straight ticket for R.

Don't care. You are a D you think like a D.
BMX Bandit
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I won't be naming names but there are more than a few on the bench. I think there is a lot of truth to the 2017 bar poll results, at least with regards to the Civil District courts.

Not sure I follow you here.

You responded above that the statement I quoted isn't quite true.

Hillary got 54% of the vote in 2016. That's why the crappy down ballot judges won. Not because some republicans don't vote straight ticket.

585k people in Harris County voted Trump or Gary Johnson. If they all voted straight ticket, thats still less votes than any democrat on the ballot for a harris county office received.
BrazosDog02
AG
Straight Ticket R for me as well.

People that don't know the candidates and don't typically vote straight ticket tend to simply not vote at all for that particular office. I would much rather everyone vote R and not know a candidate than vote for no one.
FTACO97
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Straight Ticket R for me as well.

People that don't know the candidates and don't typically vote straight ticket tend to simply not vote at all for that particular office. I would much rather everyone vote R and not know a candidate than vote for no one.
Agreed. Not a single person with D next to their name will get my vote this election. You may be a great person with respectable morals, but you've chosen to hitch yourself to the Democrat party and they have proven themselves over the past 2 years to be completely unhinged and not worthy of my support.
jja79
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Quote:

The question will be if Beto does the same thing for them. I suspect that local races will not be pretty.

I don't see minorities falling over themselves to vote for Beta. His biggest supporters are white Millennials and wealthy white stay at home wives.

Was in Garden Oaks and Oak Forest this morning. Beto owns the yards.
terradactylexpress
God can we move this trash to the politics board where it belongs?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.