Houston
Sponsored by

El Tiempo having cash problems?

17,980 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ciboag96
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

www.eltiempovip.com
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
It's genius
Diggity
AG
You think?
gif
I was leaning towards the platinum, but it doesn't have a free birthday dessert, so **** them
drumboy
AG
If you buy gift cards at CostCo you get $100 for $70 or so. I know lolpoor.
Liquid Wrench
drumboy said:

I'm so General Board rich I usually try to pay more than asked. It's not really about tipping for good service, it's more about my own sense of self worth.
AgLA06
AG
ChiliBeans said:

drumboy said:

I'm so General Board rich I usually try to pay more than asked. It's not really about tipping for good service, it's more about my own sense of self worth.

You don't have to convince us. We have to read your posts.
David_Puddy
AG
I was there with a buddy of mine yesterday and he signed up for the Platinum membership. He has company meetings and takes clients there enough so it's more than worth it for him. That's almost half price El Tiempo, which he's going to write off on his taxes at the end of the year anyway. I think it's a smart move by them. Plus when you want to go on a Friday or Saturday night when it's an hour wait, you call into their reservation line when you're on the way and you don't have to wait.
gif
David_Puddy said:

I was there with a buddy of mine yesterday and he signed up for the Platinum membership. He has company meetings and takes clients there enough so it's more than worth it for him. That's almost half price El Tiempo, which he's going to write off on his taxes at the end of the year anyway. I think it's a smart move by them. Plus when you want to go on a Friday or Saturday night when it's an hour wait, you call into their reservation line when you're on the way and you don't have to wait.

Yeah, but where the hell is my free tres leches?
Diggity
AG
Is it $70 or $80 for the $100 cards?
Liquid Wrench
drumboy
AG
I think it was a 20% discount so probably $80. I'm sure I'll end up there this weekend, as I do every weekend, so I'll check.
Diggity
AG
Gotcha. Wanted to tool on my friend who bought the VIP card if it was 30%
redag06
I think most of their gift cards are 100 for 75
REMtx
I've done this with the Buca di Beppo gift cards also at Costco. Those were $70 for $100. Though the service was bad so won't be returning for a while.

Wife was going to use the el tiempo cards to plan a meal for a group of people for a small funeral, but the person who was co-hosting was too cheap for even this deal. They ended up going to Chili's. Chili's. Probably spent the same too in the end.
MemorialTXAg
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

It's genius

Please elaborate.
ATM9000
AG
No Pressure said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

It's genius

Please elaborate.

Generally, if El Tiempo can sucker people to prepay for that much Mexican food, I'd say El Tiempo won that transaction.
Al Bula
AG
Good for el tiempo. If they can convince the wannabe upper crusters this is a steal, more power to them. The screechers who decried sessions eating there would be shocked at how many libtard Beto voters will eat up this deal.
Liquid Wrench
This would have saved me money back in the day. Party on Washington.
Build It
AG
I'm pretty sure the Laurenzo's are flush with cash. Why are you slandering a great Houston business and family?
Liquid Wrench
This board hates any local business that shows moderate success without relying on hipster mission statement nonsense.

Diggity
AG
Just strange that a business that is routinely on an hour plus waitlist on weekends feels the need to give 40% discounts.
Build It
AG
Probably all Dallas carpetbaggers
Liquid Wrench
I'm sure it's cash flow, but it's not all that unusual.
ATM9000
AG
Diggity said:

Just strange that a business that is routinely on an hour plus waitlist on weekends feels the need to give 40% discounts.

Meh... especially the top level one... 5G's of El Tiempo food... that's a ****load of El Tiempo. If they get 30 people to sign up for that, even the most ardent El Tiempo fans for the most part probably would take at least 2 years to go through that credit and that's probably agressive. Conversely, doing that is a great way to raise working capital or CAPEX for a new venture and keep equity.
Build It
AG
You don't have to be a finance major to figure this one out. Just quit trashing these folks. Besides I'm pretty sure Dominic could take you in a fair fight.
sts7049
AG
questioning business practices does not equal trashing
Build It
AG
Maybe that was a bit harsh. But I'd still like to see the MMA fight. I also suppose you didn't see the winky face.
6.5 Swede
Related to back lash for picture with Jeff Sessions?

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/el-tiempo-cantina-jeff-sessions/
Diggity
AG
It's obviously an attempt to raise cash. I was just wondering what the impetus was for it.

It's a great restaurant, but let's not act like the family doesn't have a history of making poor business moves. Ninfas imploded and El Tiempo signed off franchise rights to a group of hacks that they had to sue after the first restaurant.
drumboy
AG
Pappasitos seems profitable but they constantly have the buy $100 GC get $20 GC free specials.

Gift cards are up front cash that might not ever be used.
94chem
REMtx said:

I've done this with the Buca di Beppo gift cards also at Costco. Those were $70 for $100.

I think you're doing it wrong.
REMtx
Lol, I paid $70 for $100 dollars worth of gift cards. It did read that I paid the opposite, sorry.
sts7049
AG
i think the fail is buying gift cards from buca di beppo
88jrt06
AG
Around November, both Escalantes and El Tiempo have a long history of selling 80% cards. Thanks to those who underwrite them by leaving them in a sock drawer!
This could be better than that. But, business as usual, no desperate cash flow issue.....year end tradition.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.